Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Thinking about quitting and scared

18 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, my name is Fitz and I really want to quit. I am so scared b/c it seems that cigarettes are always there for me when I need comfort, solace, am bored, etc. Please help me to quit like you have done
18 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Fitz!!I am a fairly new non-smoker. I was scared as Hell to quit, actually the days before my quit date were scarier that the quit day itself. You have to prepare, prepare and prepare some more. Any information you can arm yourself with helps with your decision to quit. I smoked 35 years and always told myself I could not do this. But guess what I have been smokefree since Feb l7. I have more energy, sleep better, and everyone that knows I quit is soooo proud of me and supportive. A good share of them are previous smokers and quit years ago. Come here often, it really helps and everyone here is great even if you just read., go through all the tools. Good luck and hope we hear from you again soon. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 709 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $63.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
  • Quit Meter

$20,659.43

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 415 Hours: 22

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fritz, WELCOME TO AN AWESOME SITE!!! You have already received so much good info. all I can say is: GO FOR THE QUIT!!! I'll be watching for your posts..... :) Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 64 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,099 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $224 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$229,867.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6395 Hours: 0

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fitz Welcome to the SSC. A great place to come for support, to vent and get educated about addiction and quitting smoking. There is a wealth of information in this site. you are not alone, many of usnon smokers have been andare very afraidof quitting. Some like myself have never really had any part of adult life where the have been smoke free. (for me the exception being the last 22 days) I believe that everyone here goes through the absolute agony of fighting the addiction to nicotine and choosing their courage. You have the ability to make the choice to quit, and when you are ready you will quit. You get to choose the experience of standing strong, testing your strength and seeing that you can conquer fear. Good luck, keep posting and letting us know how you are doing. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 479 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $172.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fitz, I too was scared to quit before I actually did it, only to find that it actually wasn't as bad as I imagined. I am not saying it is easy, far from it in fact but if you keep a positive mind and constantly remind yourself of all the good things that come with quitting then I have found that it helps. It's strange really that we are not afraid to kill ourselves slowly but surely and during the early days of a quit, feel that this is the easiest option to take when the craves set in. Well in fact it's not strange - it is downright ridiculous. This is a great place to be and you have been given some great advice already. I hope you do quit, it will be the best decision you have ever made. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 422 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �87.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quitting has been one of the best and hardest things I have done. I am only at 71 days but let me tell you I would have never dreamed how different life would be now. I havent had an asthma attack is almost 2 months! I smell things that I had never dreamed of! OMG and food never tasted so good. I smoked 3 + packs a day and I know my body will take a while to heal after 20 years of massive damage; however, I can take deeper breaths already. I didnt orginally quit because I wanted to...I quit because I was dieing in a hospital bed with tubes everywhere, on steroids, oxygen, heart monitor and breathing treatments. At 32 years old this was a wake up call!!! You can quit, just decide you will not smoke again. You should look at the quitting is easy post! Good Luck! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,298 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $355 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is ironic that all the negative things we know about smoking;ie, lung cancer, heart problems,emphysema, and so forth doesn't scare us much. The addictive mind can come up with all manner of excuses to continue smoking that basically add up to it won't happen to me....other people have those problems. The fact remains that quitting is terrifying in spite of the fact that all the results of not lighting up are positive...a longer life, more money, better health. Addiction is a sly, cunning disease that flies in the face of common sense. So, Fitz, just do it and quit. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 232 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,653 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Fitz to our little quit family. It takes a lot of courage to quit. Getting started is the hardest part. Once you take the plunge and get going, you are in for the journey of a lifetime. N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever is the way that every last one of us have quit. We simply choose not to light that next cigarette over and over again. As Rusty said, work the program tools to the left, they will help you develop a plan for your quit. Drink a lot of water, take deep breathes, and keep those sugar free mints handy. Quitting isn't easy but it is doable. There is a lot of good information on these boards. Read and learn all you can about the smoking addiction. You CAN quit. BTW - I think 90% of us were scared to death when we first began this journey. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 254 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,093 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $889 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fitz, we were all scared about quitting. I was terrified! But everyone here can tell you that there's only one way to quit...don't light the next one. Sounds easy, doesn't it? But that's not the only trick. The other part is to work the program tools, develop your plan, and learn as much as you can about addiction. Read as many posts here as you can. You will see that all kinds of people with all kinds of situations have successfully quit and you can, too! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 454 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,728 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1589 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 62 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$54,724.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 646 Hours: 6

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quitting is about reaching the point where you want to quit, more than you want to smoke....it's "choosing" to go smoke free. It isn't that you "can't" smoke...it's that you "choose" not to. You do that hour by hour, day by day, month by month. You don't begin by looking into the future too far.....that only sets the addiction to screaming at you that you can NOT do this.....and you CAN! it will be to your benefit to go through the winding road to the left.....to read all that you can on this site....to begin to form a 'plan' for your quit....you will need coping skills to stick with your "choice"....little tricks to help you stay on track, especially through the first couple of weeks. first step is to look the addiction straight on.....it's no friend or comforter....it's dirty, disgusting and deadly....it's the ENEMY. You have to realize this in order to take the control away from it. In looking back, the scariest part of quitting was "beginning" don't be afraid....there IS nothing to fear about making this choice. It's a choice that can empower you and give you a huge shot of self esteem in seeing that YOU can control your life and what you do!! Katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1528 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 61,153 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8404 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 199 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$158,921.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5341 Hours: 22

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: