Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Done Lost my Mind

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
guitarplayerswife, Hang in there. Stay strong. Right now you may feel like you are on an emotional rollercoaster. With this said, grab a hold and hang on. Remember tomorrow is a new day. Sit tight, take time out for you and forgive. Let go of the past, live for the present and future. Take Care, Melanie ___________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you- I feel so desperate today-I want to go to bed and hide - instead I will be driving a carpool with 8 noisy kids, in bad traffic and have no way to reward myself when we make it home alive and manage to retain some sanity. ( this is me feeling sorry for myself) I know I can't stop living and put the kids needs and schedules on hold until I can manage this psychological and physical addiction- but it would make it easier if life would just sit on hold until I feel strong again- and this time a smoke-free strong. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 228 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $29.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am new to this site and am not sure if I'm posting correctly???? Your post REALLY stood out to me. I am totally depressed. Having, over the last week learned what smoking meant to me and how much it became a substitute for so many emotions- emotions that I am forced to deal with now! For the last two days, I've been in tears and feeling horrible last night I left the house, bought a pack - lit one took a few puffs and realized how unsatisfying it was and how ridiculous I was for doing it. I took the pack in the house and soaked them in the sink and tossed them into the trash. I don't feel like I have anything to look forward to. I am a stay at home mom of 5 and my life revolves around them and thier activities- smoking was the ONLY thing I had that was just for me. My husband is a non-smoker and always has been. He is not a supportive type of person and really made me feel like a pile of nothing when I told him about my mistake- He yelled at me. I don't consider my slip-up a set back, It is a part this process and for the first time in my life I REALLY want this to be the final "QUIT" Even though right now I feel like I've lost my best friend. Please tell me this passes! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 226 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $29.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
guitarplayerswife, I wouldn't listen to those reports.. hey.. I had 9 aunts/uncles die of lung cancer (they smoked). I had 2 aunts who quit smoking in their late 40's and are in their 70's today and pretty healthy. All of them started smoking as teenagers. No one knows if it is heredity or about lifestyle or what... My mother is 74 years old and has been smoking since she was 14. She does have emphysema but, she didn't get lung cancer.. why ?? No one knows.. As for your kids.. both my parents smoked 2 packs a day all the time I was growing up.. in cars , in the house.. everywhere.. not a single case of asthma in my family.. why ??? My mother smoked when she was pregnant with all of us too. Stop blaming yourself for everything... Remember there is a huge campaign against smoking in this country and a lot of it is nothing but scare tactics !! We should all quit smoking but, we should not have to feel like we are killing eveyone around us.. Seeing a psychologist/counselor is a great idea !! I wish I could afford it.. it makes you feel so good to get stuff off your chest.. I really does help. Hang Tuff !!! Chris [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 218 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not sure where to turn with this. I've become depressed. I have a lot to talk about regarding what my smoking habit has done and it's all morbid. The seriousness of what has occured has finally hit me. I don't want to bring my big black cloud here to this board, though. I know that a lot of the problem is that my thoughts are in the past and the future, all the while $#^&ing on today, but I can't seem to get my head where I know it needs to be. I need a new perspective that works, because this one does not. I have given up all hope of ever having a better past, but can't stop thinking about the damage I've done. Please help, I've fallen and I can't get up. gpw [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 368 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $96 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
I am in sockcloth and ashes.
Well Damn! The future doesn't look too bright either. I read a study yesterday that suggests that people who began smoking in their youth (me, at 13) never gain a decreased risk of lung cancer. The risk remains the same even after stopping. Also, when I was 29 my doctor (who was whack-o) said that I had emphysema. I thought he was trying to scare me. But now I wonder if he was right. I mean, he didn't take any tests or anything. So how could he diagnose it? Do I or don't I? I just really feel like I need to see my doctor (new one!) and get a damage assessment and rehabilitation plan up and running. I want to be the one who discovers how to regrow damaged, over-inflated aveoli (it'll be out of desperation!) and repair damaged DNA through enzyme therapy and perhaps ethically harvested stem-cells. I'm just scared to death and sick with fear! I can't stand the thought of having damaged DNA without hope of repair. What about my kids - they were conceived by both parents with damaged DNA. My 20 yr. old daughter has the lung capacity of an eight year old. I desparately want to help her take care of what she's got - because IT'S MY FAULT! Second-hand smoke caused her lungs to not develop completely. If she smokes, it will kill her. Gosh, I couldn't sleep last night because all of this was running over and over in my head, and then my smoker DH's rattle-snoring was exacerbating the situation. He hasn't been sleeping well. No wonder-he can't breathe!!! I hate those damn cigarettes!!!! I am so angry! I kept thinking about what smoking was doing to him. I had to leave and sleep in a different room. Now he probably thinks I moved because I don't like him or something crazy like that. There- That is what's on my mind and why I've become so obsessed and depressed the last couple of days. gpw
Shevie I don't know why I'm stressing over this. It does not fit my program. I'm not used to being utterly faithless. I've been in a 12-step program for over 5 yrs. and it has aways brought me serenity. Maybe I just need a little time to grieve the losses that are so very clear to me now. I think for the most part I have a HALT, minus H, thing happening. I like your down-to-earth, "solve the problem and get over it" style. I'm guessing your gender is male. If my husband were available to talk to in nic recovery, he would tell me what you told me. It would be nice if he could quit soon so I don't have to turn to a stranger for personal advice!
Ahhhhhhh....... Nothing like a good night's sleep and some Kiwi for breakfast. Thanks Kiwi, that was the perspective I knew I needed to adopt. I just couldn't find an easily digested, compliled version. As I was eating breakfast today I was thinking about the uncompleted chore I assigned the kids two days ago. I felt my anger build and soon felt that *twitch* that all of us are familiar with - Yes, the nicodemon. I learned really quick that anger is a trigger for me. Yesterday I rolled in it like a pig in mud and had a really bad day. Today, thank God, is a new day. I'm well rested and going with the flow. I will decide right this very minute to create a new response to anger. Maybe, snort like a pig! (I once won Rush tickets by doing this on the radio.) Bless you all, gpw [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 383 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $100 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
Thanks Melanie! I agree.

Reading this thread: