Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Core belief

2 years ago (Edited 2 years ago) 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Asi,

Humans are complex. No person is all good and has 100% good intentions. Just like no person is all bad with 100% bad intentions. In fact, someone can have good intentions and still cause harm due to misunderstanding or something else.

I feel like you still might be using black and white thinking. How can you challenge these thoughts? How can you challenge these thoughts you are having about your counsellor? Are you using any other cognitive distortions that my be clouding your thinking? Please check out Session 4 in the Depression course for more information on cognitive distortions.

Take care,

Ashley

2 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi after replying the other post about my therapist I become aware of it seams a strong core belief.

There's something repetitive happening in all of my relationships, they couldn't go deep because I got disappointed at some point.

I think since child I built a wrong core belief that I can trust people, that they all have good intentions. My mother was very religious and I remember she teaching that to me. Before that I remember been aware that sometimes we can not trust people and being ok with that, not causing me sadness, it was just a wake up for reality I accepted. I think this was on my first year of school. Later with my mother teaching I changed to a core belief (that all people are good) this are constantly getting me sad and wanting to isolate my self to protect against the disapontments, because what she teached does not correspond to reality.

I'm constantly facing this "true", but the problem it seams I don't want to accept that and move on :/ . Always I start a new relationship I have the deep desire that this person have 100% good intentions towards me, but I never see that.

Reading this thread: