Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Hi from windsybarbie

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yes windy, thanks for the info. that part about composing yourself in 5 minutes - i know i can't do that, well....maybe i could fake it if i had to but my mood lingers on and on and on. i was thinking about the sister situation, i haven't spoken with mine in close to 10 yrs. i miss her - she pointed out all the problems with me but refuses to look in the mirror. maybe it's the same with yours. denial - maybe she has bipolar, too. i can see the issues my sister has, and i hear still has, but apparently she does not.
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you windy for the info...
Lables sometimes help and give up a place to look for understanding and sometimes they just confuse...supposedly I  am borderline personality... but the psychiatrist figured this from a student's notes of me 15 yrs ago!  so I use the Bipo as my basis for my vocabulary and the personality  well I figure if you do not like me... that is ok I do not need the whole world as my friend (the summer b-b-que will be expensif).
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Windsy!

Wow, how many jobs do you have? Sounds like you are one busy lady! Well, it sounds to me like you have some great people in your life to help you through this. I am very glad for you! And sounds like your work is very fullfilling! Please keep us posted on how you are!
15 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wildcat

DID is dissociative identity disorder or multiple personality disorder.  I am NOT Sybil like the movie portrays and I still don't see myself as that but professionals do.  It happens when you were hurt very badly and in my case when I was younger.  However I do not loose time and I remember things and I know where I am.  What I am able to do is, really get upset, cry or be really distraught and in 5 min compose and be a manager part that I have to do my job.  For eg:  I am a special needs educational assistant and last week I was upset, and did not want to be at school.  I told the student to give me 5 minutes and then I was happy, smiling and talking with the children at the daycare. She couldn't believe that I switched, but I told her, even if you have a migraine you can not show it to children.  In fact that same day a parent said you must be a morning person as you are so happy.

My manager part allows me to function and take care of things without feelings.  I have learnt to manage myself that I am not the child part as I am an adult and I have 1 full time job and 3 part time jobs.  I have had Major Depression about 10 years ago and that is difficult enough and now I have been diagnosed with bipolar.  It is hard but I will be okay as I have people that care about me.  My niece I was telling you about will probably work with me at the YMCA after school program and she will get a YMCA membership.  I can drive her home and now I will have a buddy to work out or go to acquafit.  That will be FUN, and today I quit working with my student for respite as she was getting difficult and it is conflict of interest.  I am going to try to get another shift at YMCA After school program or try YMCA daycare as the director knows I am good with children.  I have hope and people that love and care about me.  Thank You for the kind words and I look forward to all your posts.  I hope everyone has a GREAT day tomorrow and a good weekend.  Tonight I am accompanying an ex student to an acting class and integrating him in the class.  We have 3 more classes left and I am not sure if he signed up for more, but it was FUN.  It was called Clown, Character and Mask and this student is perfect and the other 4 students accepted him and it is so nice to see.  Talk to you later I have to catch a bus now as my student will be waiting for me......
Hey Windy,

Thanks so much for the update and for sharing. Please come post and vent with us anytime. And way to go for standing up to your sister!
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy,

It's great that you're able to come by and share with us. Sometimes people do and say things that we don't like, unfortunatly we need to find ways to have brush these things off or they will torment us.

Keep working throught the program and come to us for support. We're here for you!

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi windy,

I am glad the appointment went well and the meds are compatible.  It seems as we age the bipo changes with us so what was true when we were 18 does not hold at 35  and you can guess by my friend here I had a wild ride this summer!

May I ask what is DID?  and you are right MDD is nothing like Bipolar disorder!  -one night i went to bed with the usual prayer to die and the next morning I was NASA's next rocket-fuel  so I dosed up on the caffine energy drinks and went to work!!!!

I spoke to my therapist several times and those with Bipo thrive in social gathering.  We feed on the energy and we interact well with other people.  **When in that normal/stable zone somewhere in the middle ** So do not think that because you have this diagnosis you should be a misfit of have a huge tatoo lable on your forehead.  It is great that you are able to stand up to your sister and see that you have your own space.  Many of us have our self-esteem erroded after so much pain and hurt for illness.

I really look forward to your posts.
15 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone:

Rose thank you for asking.  I had a good appointment with my shrink.  He believes I have bipolar1 or hypomania.  He was going to put me on elavil but I told him I am on lamictal for pain and he said that was the same family.  I tried elavil a few years ago and had a bad reaction.  The dr said it was worth a try and it takes a while until the dosage works to its full strength.  He also is going to make arrangements for me to see another shrink for a second opinion as bipolar is not his speciality, it may take 2 months but that is okay. He is so busy he doesn't have anymore time for me except every 6 weeks for 30 minutes.  At least he heard me and he really knows it is different this time.  I am a warrior and survivor and I will be okay as I know I have people that love and care about me.  I will be working on this CBT program and asking for help to get thru this if I need it. 

Tonight I had my "first date" with my niece, as she lives down the backlane from me, and on Sunday she came over and told me we are going to spend one night a week together.  Tonight she made tuna casserole and it was great and we talked and she lent me dvd's to watch.  Next week they are coming to my apartment for dinner and I will be making a fish dish.

Her mother I think may be jealous as this niece moved away to Windsor but now returned and got a job.  My sister really upset me today because she thinks bipolar is the same as DID and I don't think that is true.  Her attitude was I and the family knew you had depression (bipolar) and it is no big deal.  I do not like her attitude and I became strong and was upset, had a shower and then went for dinner to my niece's.  I am trying to think where it came from.  I am liked and loved by alot of people and she has a bad reputation.  She does not know anything and she wonders why I will not talk to her. 

I have 2 friends where we help each other as we suffer from fibro, bipolar and pain and understand and help each other.  In  fact on Mondays all 3 of us are going to a regular relaxation and stretching at Mood disorders.  We are also joining the social group for mood disorders.  I tried to tell my sister that I will not be embarassed any longer to say I am going to mood disorders.

My sister is offended I will confide in my friends but I don't want my brother or cousins knowing.  It is my right to ask for privacy but the pattern is she does what she wants and does not care about other people's feelings. I want to do nothing to do with her, but Christmas and Christmas Eve is at her house and she is toxic but I will wait until Monday to talk to my counsellor.  I am trying to think where it is coming from as I have this group and I know people care about me.  Sorry for the long email but I am hurting but I am strong and thank you for listening. I have been on the internet and I know alot about depression, as my shrink says I could teach a course on recovery and depression.  At least I have professionals and friends that care and a brother in another city and this online group.  I was sick today with the flu and I just took it easy and did not work my 2 jobs and I know the special needs students care about me.  That is what is important to me, not my sister and her far out ideas. 
15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi windy and welcome - how did the appointment go?
Welcome to the forums!

Reading this thread: