Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Interpersonal Psychotherapy

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva, I had an okay day.  I worked, picked my granddaughter up (her dad was tied up in court with a hearing) and then he when he got a ruling on the hearing, he invited me to join him and his daughter for pizza.  What a treat.  Still more fun things for me.  It is so hard to not see all these fun things as being selfish. 

I started to not go with them to dinner as I am working in landscaping and had not cleaned up from today's work.  He is so supportive, he encouraged me to go change and freshen up and "come on".  I am so glad I did.  What a great son I have!  
There is always something to be grateful for......

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Goofy,

I am so glad you had fun! And yes, isn't it nice to shcedule fun things just for you and then anticipate them happily. Itis nice to feel like you wanna do something. And it is Not selfish! You deserve fun and great things in your life!

I am glad to see your progress! And how are you today?
Diva, obviously not on the computer.  I worked all day that day, then babysat that evening.  I went on Saturday and Sunday to visit a friend and returned today.  It was for me and me alone - and I had fun.  I love the part where we learn to schedule fun things and things just for us.  It at first seemed so selfish.  But setting boundaries is not being selfish and I deserve to have fun and go places/ do t hings.  I'm glad I am finally looking forward to going sometimes, instead of making myself go even though I know I'll have a good time.

Anyway, I worked again today and I always feel better after a productive day.  

How are you today?

And how are you today goofy?
Tofeliz,  I hope I am spelling that correctly, I need glasses.  lol  Thank you for the support and encouragement.  It is risky and therefore scary. 

I crashed and burn last Tuesday as I said, but slowly the fog is lifting.  I saw my therapist last Thursday, spoke with the gynecologist on that day and saw my psychiatrist yesterday (just happened to be perfect timing with the appointments).  I think I've got my meds back on track with the change in hormones.  I also worked yesterday and I think that is therapeutic.  I love being outside and I don't mind the sweat (in fact, after I get home and shower) it feels better than sitting behind a desk pushing papers and talking to people.  

I agree also with your take on the Dr. Goofy thing.  If I get in the position to finish it (statistics are difficult for me) with my cognitive functioning; then I can make a decision.  I feel like I've been successful in my work and my career.  One day at a time.....

Thanks for the support, I will not sabotage, I will not sabotage relationships or anything that feels good.  Because I do deserve it.  I've worked hard to be where I am and I deserve positive things in my life (my current chant).  

Hey Goofy,

Glad you are feeling better about this.I am glad you spoke with him of this and found his insights helpful. And yes, you do deserve a relationship like that!
As for ABD, thanks for explaining! And as for finishing it and becoming Dr Goofy. If ever it is importnat in your life, you will do it. Sometimes we just have other priorities in life!
So how are you doing today hun?

Hey Tofeliz,
I agree that relationships can be scary. And I also agree the risk is totally worth it! I think it is great that you are here to support Goofy and the rest of us! Thanks!
And how are you today?
14 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Relationships can be freakin scary....You don't want to get too wrapped up just to get rejected.  Knowing i have depression makesit hard for me 2 let ppl in.  I don't want 2 get hurt. But when u do find someone it reallyhelps with self esteem and comfort. the risk is totally worth it so I am glad you decided to strick with it.

Ashley is right u should be super proud of yourself.

You seem like a very nice intelligent lady, a guy would be very lucky to have you.  You remember that.

Thanks, I do feel better about it today.  we've talked about it more and it's been insightful for him to give me some feedback as well. 
However, I appreciate your feedback and "atta girls".  It is encouraging and Ashley, your right, I'm getting closer to recognizing it before it happens.  I do deserve a relationship like this one.  
Yes, it's great to have a friend who is that supportive.

ABD  = all but dissertation...I did all the course work and 12 hours toward my dissertation but lack 12 hours completing the degree.  I couldn't do it anymore.  sometimes it doesn't seem so important now, losing my parents put a different perspective on life.  And since so much time has lapsed, I'm not sure if I'd have to start over or not.  It really doesn't matter, at this point my goal is to have completing it as a realistic option.  Then I can decide if I want to do it and learn what I need to do to be Dr. Goofy!

Hiiya Goofy!

I totally agree with Ashyley! Way to go girl for recognizing it for what it was a dealing with it. That is such great progress!
As for your friend I think it was great he was supportive!
Btw, what is ABD?

Once again congratulations!
14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi goofy,

I am so glad you were able to identify this and address it.  You should be very proud of yourself that is a very big step!  Your friend seems to very nice, I am glad he was there to support you and help you recognize your negative core belief.  Yes, it would have been more ideal if you did not do it to begin with but now you can learn from it.  You became aware of it and addressed it, those are two HUGE first steps to resolving it.  Keep learning and growing.

I am very proud of how you handled this situation.  Congratulations!  I think you deserve a reward!

You KNOW you can!  Keep it up!

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: