Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Some Serious Anxiety

13 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Sally, 
I know exactly how you feel. Really I do. I myself have completely irrational fear wchich develop into completely irrational worries and panic. I find that I cannot believe and answer I am / was given in answer to my insecurities and have to ask a thousand more times constantly. No matter what anybody says to me I can never stop worring about it. So far it has cost me the most important relationship in my life and I stil have no idea how to cope with these fears and anxieties. I don't even know whather they are rational or irrational. The thing that I find helps (apart from the worry challenge in session 10) is to imagine the worst. Imagine the worst is going to happen and make a plan to get through it or to deal with it. Then if the worst does happen, follow the plan. Stick to it.

I hope it helps you to know that you are not alone in this.

13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sally,

I work at a community college, and although I can't speak for all educational institutions, I know that where I work they are very understanding of the whole financial aid process.
There is probably someone where you are registered whom you can talk to for some reassurance. It's certainly worth a phone call, or dropping in.

Greg
13 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, I have thought about it and have decided to wait a bit longer before I pay the fees. I got another notice about the deferral with a Sept. date. I really don't want to give in to my illogical anxiety, reinforcing it. I'll see how long I can hold out until I can't stand it anymore.  LOL!  Right now, I feel ok with the decision. I hope it holds.
Hi Ashley,

I think the reason this is so frustrating for me is that I did this last year too (the first year I used financial aid). I panicked about losing my classes, so even though I had a deferral, I paid the fees early anyway to alleviate my fear. I am only repeating it again this summer. I am guessing that I will be fighting this anxiety each time I register for classes (spring and fall).

I think that by paying the fees early, I am only reinforcing the problem, giving in to the anxiety. But I just feel so much better, so much relief, after I have my classes locked in, that I can't seem to stop the compulsive early payments.

I guess the best thing to do would be to force myself to wait out the payment deferral, but I really like to be able to relax. I would have to suffer for 2-3 months with this anxiety 2 times a year.

I am really not sure how I could apply this to the program. May negative thoughts or core beliefs?  I am not on those sections yet though. I am still on the thought records (just started last night). I guess I will write this down as a thought too.

I guess I need to learn to "trust" the institution, the financial aid office, the admissions office, etc at the university, but I have such bad experience with lost records, people not doing what they are supposed to do, computers malfunctioning, data getting lost, etc, that I just don't trust.

I have been worried about this for a few weeks now (ever since I registered for classes). Now that I know we will be paying it soon, I feel like I can finally breathe. My depression has always been that irritable/anxious kind, so to fight the depression off; I felt that I needed to resolve the anxiety. If I let the anxiety simmer, it seems to bring the depression back with it.  : (

Hi Lance,
I am definitely a worrier. I used to find myself holding my breath a lot, but I am a lot better now. I have a couple breathing techniques I use (the box and a chanting one).

I definitely try and anticipate anxiety-provoking situations, but I almost feel that by doing that, I am reinforcing the anxiety by rewarding it through avoidance behavior. Does that make sense? Like in the case of school finances. I should be able to let the bill go unpaid until the adjusted due date, but because of my anxiety, I pay it early allowing myself to feel completely relaxed about it, causing me to repeat the same scenario again the next time I register.  I guess it just depends on what the situation is or what is provoking the anxiety that would make it seem like avoidance or confrontation would be the best way to go.

Thanks for your advice!

13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sally,

I am sorry you are being anxious about this.  I can see how this would be very frustrating and upsetting.
Try not to be too hard on yourself.  Anxiety can be managed but it doesn't help anyone to beat yourself up about it.  You have just recognized an area you want to work on and that is great.  How can you apply this situation to the program? How can you use this as a learning tool?  I know it might be hard to look at this situation in that perspective at this point but give it a try!  What do you think you can gain from this expereince?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 194 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used to do that to myself all the time. About everything! I was the expert worrier. I would blow everything out of proportion.

You mentioned the "key" word in what you wrote. "Breathe" I learned that was and is a big probem for me. When we start to get anxious, our breathing changes and it's wrong, which in turn makes our anxiety seem worse. There are breathing technniques you can learn.

I also plan better and try to anticipate and prevent things that can cause anxiety issues. If you do the research in respect to how you know yourself, you will be amazed at the tools and resourses you can find for things. It's amazing!

Not to mention everything here. It's a wonderful program.

Hope I helped some! :)
I sure wish I could control illogical anxiety. Today, several times, I was gripped by uncomfortable worries and anxiety, all revolving around my payment for my classes at school. 

I registered for classes a few weeks ago, and we have 2 weeks to pay fees before we get all our classes dropped. However, I qualified for financial aid (a bit), so I have a deferral on my fee payment (at least a couple months from now), but...I can't stop obsessing over the possibility that the school may forget about my deferral or something bad might happen and cause me to lose all of my classes. It is hard to get into classes once you have been dropped. I know this is illogical, but I am obsessing over it anyway.

I finally told my husband about my fears tonight, and he said we should just pay the fees next week to alleviate my worries. That way my classes will be locked in, and I can breathe again. I am feeling a little better already, knowing this.

I just wish I could not have the anxiety in the first place. There is no reason for me to worry; yet I am finding myself getting more and more worried as the summer passes.

I am frustrated at myself for having the anxiety in the first place.

Reading this thread: