Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Your top 3 - Thought-Provoking Questions

13 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Definitely a great questions Stacy! For me the answer would be not for too darn long! And that really makes me think about how hard I am on myself and unfair that I am to myself. If I think about what I want and appreciate in a good friend and apply it to how i treat myself I think that would really make a big difference.

So as of today I will try to eliminate negative, hurtful thoughts about myself and change them to positive self-talk. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Stacy!

Strength 

13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That was a really good question Stacy asked.  I've actually asked myself that question before.  My father made a point of belittling me on a regular basis which my mother fully supported.  I don't know how to not know my parents so I deal with it.  Thankfully as I've gotten older they've let this go.  Last year I ended a 10 year "friendship" because it dawned on me one day that the man I was seeing was feeding the meanies in my head.  The mean thoughts used to be the voices of me and my parents but for a number of years they belonged to this man.  I was so beat down that I couldn't even see it.  Last summer I finally left because I couldn't stand the mental blows that we were both inflicting on me.  Now I'm alone with me and my mean thoughts.
13 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Its a good question to make you aware of how selfcritical it is possible to become without really recognising the fact. 
Of course you would not remain friends for long.

I guess I would give them the benefit of the doubt the first few times they had a go at me, perhaps on the assumption that they are having some personal problems, but after that I would question why are they being so negative towards me?  
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Stacy,

I am really glad you are contributing with a question of your own. It is great to hear that answering these questions is helping you better understand your depression and overcome it. Continue to work through the program and share any thought provoking questions you stumble upon along the way. 

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I found a place that had many of these types of questions and I have been using some of them in a weekly peer support group that I attend.  

This is one that I really liked and would love to see others answer.  I know for me this question really kind of hit home as I find with depression I get a lot of what my husband calls "mean brain syndrome" where I can take one small event like not having the dishes done and my head goes through a series of thoughts in 3.2 seconds and has me being the worst most incompetent person in the universe.

The question:

If you had a friend that spoke to you as you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would they be a friend?

Stacy
I like your answer, thanks for replying! Your two cents is very valid! Do you have any other thought provoking questions to send forward?

Strength 
Hey Strength,

I really do love these questions, I like to take the time to think of my answer, so my apologies if they are wordy, I am a chatter if you haven't already noticed, lol.  When I first started thinking about this I thought of myself having depression and how that was just existing, but then I thought, that can't possibly be true we have to have moments when we are ok in our heads that we are just existing and it doesn't have to be a negative.

Existing - To just be here, I think most all of us have days that we are just here, doesn't have to be while we are going through the motions of depression, but just a quiet moment when we are doing nothing, relaxing, meditating or just plain contemplating.

Living - My first thoughts of living are all about traveling the world, sky diving, trying exotic foods, but that may be accurate for some, but putting more thought in to it this is what I decided.  Living makes me think of sitting on the floor with all three of my dogs licking my face and jumping all around, watching my son playing soccer, my daughter driving her first car, my husband coming in the door after work and putting his arms around me and telling me he loves me.  

My two cents.

Stacy
Wow, awesome discussion and definitely a really great question! Stacy I love the way you answered this, thank you for sharing that.

If I did not know my age, I think I would be 25....I think what we need to remember with thought provoking questions..is there are no right or wrong answers...so just let your mind go...

I will add a question for us to work on....

What is the difference between living and existing?

Strength
This is a great topic and I think you really get to see how peoples minds work to a certain extent on their responses.

Cyclerider - Very straight forward, your age is your age
Greg - Difference between how you look and how you feel

For me, I find the older I get the more broad the feelings become.   When you are 12 you can't wait to be 13 and be a teenager.   When you are fifteen you want to be 16 so you can drive.   When you are 17 you want to be 18 so you can get into clubs.  We joke when we hit a certain age that we are only 29 or you are only as old as you feel.   It is funny how our perspective changes as we age.

I happen to have a special needs child who is now 15, but I remember when he was about 6 and playing in a special needs soccer league.  I was chit chatting with another Mom  and I asked her how old her son was.   She really had to think about it, took over a minute for her to tell me that he was now 17.  I found it odd that a mother did not know how old her child was, but really didn't think about it till many years later.   When you have a child with special needs, age really truly just becomes a number and nothing else.   You learn to gauge things by milestones not by numbers.  You don't think oh he is 15 he will be driving next year.  You think woohoo, he learned how to spell his name.

So for me, I don't have an age, well I guess that is wrong, my birth age is 43, but somedays I get to be 14 and somedays I get to be 60.   I don't really think about it.   It is just a number and nothing else.

Stacy

13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm taking the question like this: for some reason, you have no knowledge of when you were born. All you have to go on to estimate your age are clues - they way you think, the way you behave.

In that situation, I'd say mid to late 20s. Unless I had a mirror, or tried something too athletic. Then I'd know the shocking truth.

Reading this thread: