Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Inspirational quote

13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Glad you liked the Beckett quote.

It's hard to recommend, but my favourite Beckett works are his trilogy of novels - 'Molloy', 'Malone Dies' and 'The Unnamable'. Also his short novel 'Ill Seen, Ill Said'. And the plays 'Waiting for Godot', 'Endgame', 'Krapp's Last Tape', though the plays are much better seen than read.

I think a good place to start is one of his early novellas - 'First Love', 'The End', 'The Expelled', 'The Calmative'. They are more conventional than some of his later work and give a good taste of his style and themes. They were the first Beckett I read.

My motivational video in my blog here is a reading from 'Molloy' that hits my spot.

I think he's a 'love or hate' kind of writer - my partner thinks he's boring and depressing, whereas I love his black - very black - humour and obsessive existential musings.

I liked the Marcel Duchamp. Are you interested in Dada and Surrealism?

13 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete,

Great quote!  

"I much prefer writing with some grit, some bite"
I would love to read something like this. Grit and bite sound great.

I have not read any Samuel Beckett, but because I prefer "extreme economy" in writing, I will definitely pick up one of his books. Any recommendations on the first book I should read?

13 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete, I like it, it is inspiring and motivational!  It's not coy or simplistic.  For me, it goes deeply to the root of the issue.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Sally, I like that one too, sometimes we have to confront ourselves, I think that is what we do in this program, confront who we are and find what is true to us without out all those things in our closet or as Pete put it those "dirty little things".

Pete, I'll check out more of Samuel Beckett - the name sounds familiar but my memory - well, it's not working so good at this moment.  

Thanks for sharing those quotes.
Found one. It's not particularly cosy, I'm afraid, but carries some message of hope and endurance, of sorts. I much prefer writing with some grit, some bite, to motivational soundbites.

'I'll go on. You must say words, as long as there are any - until they find me, until they say me. (Strange pain, strange sin!) You must go on. Perhaps it's done already. Perhaps they have said me already. Perhaps they have carried me to the threshold of my story, before the door that opens on my story. (That would surprise me, if it opens.)

It will be I? It will be the silence, where I am? I don't know, I'll never know: in the silence you don't know.

You must go on.

I can't go on.

I'll go on.'

(Samuel Beckett. From The Unnamable)

Beckett is my absolute favourite writer. His extreme economy, mastery of language (English and French), mordant sense of humour, unsettling honesty, pure cussedness and singularity of vision make him, for me, beyond compare and totally unique as a writer. So, I find the above quotation inspiring both for its subject matter (what it says about existence and perception) and for the quality of writing, to which I can only aspire.

Sally:
"I guess I am just tired of all the trite quotes on happiness or self-love."  Hear hear!

Goofy:
Thank you for your kind words. I, too, wish I could see personality traits in myself that are appealing. Perhaps I just can't see the wood for the trees.

Samantha:
A quotation? Difficult. I'll have to think on that - I don't really have one off the top of my head.

Hi Samantha,

I guess I am just tired of all the trite quotes on happiness or self-love.

This is one of favorite quotes:

I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste.
By Marcel Duchamp

I like the idea that I can contradict my own self (such as the depressive thoughts, the anxiety, my own self-belief, etc). I had never considered this before, but when I saw the quote, it just struck me as something profound. I am still working out "how" to contradict myself. The logistics are still a little fuzzy.  :  )

Pete,

What you write really makes sense. Thankfully, I am in a different place today. But many years ago, I was filled with self-loathing (probably due to traumatic childhood issues). However, now, as I approach 40, I am actually feeling better about myself. My depression, even at it's absolute worst (when I was looking for a permanent way out) did not consist of self-hate. I was just extremely unhappy with life circumstances and did not see a way out (had that trapped feeling) without hurting everyone. I did not want to live with the pain of hurting everyone, and I didn't want to live feeling trapped. As selfish as it sounds, I was willing to "escape" my situation through a permanent solution. I know this would have hurt everyone terrible, but I would not have been around to see it or live with the guilt.

My doctor couldn't understand how a person could feel severely depressed yet not hate themselves. I guess I an anomaly.  LOL!

About past mistakes and secrets, I definitely have those. But I kind of like who I am now (I would not say love). I would not be who I am now without those mistakes. I would be different, a stranger to myself. I kind of see the mistakes as building blocks of me. While they were very painful as they occurred, they have all added up to me. I am very quirky, eccentric, way too academic, very messy yet a perfectionist (don't ask me how those go together!), a bit of a social outcast, and a ton of other oddities. I like how I am not a carbon copy of everyone else doing what everyone else is doing to "fit-in." Like my other post said though, I would like a "hang-out" buddy. Just because I am an odd duck doesn't mean I want to be alone 100% of the time!

Another way I feel ok about myself is through my daughter. She is amazing and so beautiful (all parents are so biased!  LOL!). I know that she is 1/2 me, which I helped contribute to who she is. I love who she is, so in turn, I really like the parts of me that are a part of her. Ok, I'm sounding weird again. This is my odd, eccentric, academic side showing. I just think the existence of my daughter has helped my own self-esteem.

I do remember being in high school and absolutely hating myself. I did actually try to achieve a permanent solution to that hate. I remember in my 20s, being so thin and pretty (that's my opinion now as I look back on pictures of myself) and thinking I was ugly and fat. Now, 20 years later, I look much older and a bit chubbier, yet I like myself more. This has made me realize that mind was lying to me, hiding my own beauty from me. I think, now, when my mind tries to do the same, I remember those pictures from 20 years ago, and I tell my mind to shut up. I know it tells me lies.

I do still have feeling of inadequacy about doing a good job at school or work or in social situations. Even though I accept who I am, I don't have confidence about those things. The funny thing is, I usually do pretty ok at those things. Maybe it is just my mind lying to me again.  :  )

Now if I could just address the anxiety, the trapped feelings, and the inadequacy feeling, I would be on
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sally and Pete,

I hear that Jason's quote does not necessarily move or resonate with you. Is there another quote that has moved or resonated with you? Perhaps you could both share one quote with the rest of us.

Members, I invite you to share a quote with us and explain how it moves you.

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete,  I know putting feelings into words and creative writing are two separate things. 

I think those dirty little secrets we have inside of us, give us strength to be who we are today.  Yeah, wish I could re-do a few things, lol, can't do that.....so will just keep them where they belong - inside of me.  Things that happen to me that were out of my control, I can draw strength from as well, sometimes looking very hard to find it.

I wish you could see the personality traits that are so apparent and appealing through your insightful, intelligent and well written posts.  You have an awesome command for the English language and use it in a unique way.  That is talent, something you own and of which, you should be proud.  I think you shared some poetry and music (?) (lol, the memory is effected by depression) with us through your profile page.  It was very good and did express a lot of emotion.  I think you should keep that up!  also sharing it with us part.

I am not trying to convince you that the quote should motivate you or inspire you.  lol, I just took that and used it for this conversation.  

I do enjoy our forum exchanges, you give me things to think about, ponder, reflect - this is a good thing!

BTW, I couldn't agree with Sally more - like your signature line - it's inspiring!  It doesn't matter where it came from, glad you are sharing it with me.  I need to remember sometimes I am not my depression, it is just how I feel.  And it's okay to feel what I feel!!!! 

Thanks Pete!

Sally:
You're welcome. I won't take credit for that little epigram,though I don't recall where I came across it. It is something useful to bear in mind at times when I seem possessed, as if the depression defines my existence.

Goofy:
I see what you mean about relating that saying to my son. Absolutely I love him, value his uniqueness and difference. As I love my other two sons as well. My problem is to feel anything approaching the same love for myself. I know too many dirty little secrets about myself for that.

I do believe that I am somehow unique, but not in a good way. And I am always conscious of my difference, as if it is something I need to hide, because I feel not fully-made, not finished. Just not thinking, existing, on the same level as other people. As if my presence requires apology. It is so hard to put feelings into words (that's good coming from a wannabe writer!) and communicate them, so you probably wonder what on earth I'm on about here. I just constantly feel that I'm an imposter, some kind of a fraud, even here on this forum.

I have no doubt that Jason's quotation carries truth as far as the relation between self-esteem/self-value and health is concerned. However, I share with Sally that it does not move or resonate with me. The state it invokes is just so far away from where I am that's it's like a fantastical pipedream and too remote to be an inspiration or motivation.
Hi Jason,

While I am not moved by the quote you put down (don't know why), I do really like what Pete put as his signature. It really resonates with me:

"Depression is not me, it is what I feel"

Thanks Pete! 

Reading this thread: