Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Studies on depression

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alcyone,  it is tough when a lot of family members have depression and that can't contribute to a family being dysfunctional.  However, I don't think that just because a family has a large number of people with depression in the family necessarily means that it is dysfunctional.  Now, I say this not to call attention to your comments but to continue the discussion.  What do you think?  others?
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes I believe that there is a propensity to depression where there is a family history.  I have suffered from depression for over 30 years.  Both my mother and brother are on antidepressants; father committed suicide at age 42 and my sister also has bouts of depression but will not take any meds.  I am back seeing a counseler (one of many) as my depression has worsened in the last months.

Very dysfunction extended family as well.
14 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is interesting.    About a year ago, my mother said to me, "I just don't think you're a happy person.   You're just like your Aunt Carol  and your grandmother.   They weren't happy either."    I started thinking back then (after I got over being angry with my mother) that maybe it is something that runs in families.   I also thought of my father as being quiet and reclusive and now maybe he was depressed.    All of these people are on my paternal side.   I hope neither of my children become "afflicted" with this disorder.   It's very frustrating to be a particular way and have to struggle not to be that way.   

Yes it is very interesting and worth inquiring about.  I had a dizzy spell from Meniere's Disease on the day of my father's funeral visitation, my uncle (dad's brother) came to me while I was laying down and asked what was wrong; I told him.  He said, "You know daddy (my grandfather) used to get so dizzy on the job sometimes we started carrying a stretcher with us in the truck so we could get him where he could lay down. He would not be able to walk."  Then he asked me if it was the same thing.  I asked my doc next time I saw her and she said more than likely, it also has a tendency to run in families.  However, Meniere's disease also has a higher correlation in people with depression than with the general population.  So who knows - maybe my grandfather was depressed also.  He had his first heartattack at age 42.  All of that on the paternal side of my family.  It is interesting, as well as, could be helpful.  

BTW, I mentioned the day of my dad's funeral visitation otherwise my uncle would not have known nor seen me being dizzy.

14 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy,

That is interesting that you recently found that out about your great grandmother. I should start asking my parents about my their parents and grandparents to see if there is any background there. I guess once a person has passed we try to talk mostly about the positive and often forget their challenges. But this would be interesting to know!

Strength

I recently learned that my great grandmother "suffered from depression" (as my 99 year old grandmother put it).  "she took to the bed alot".  It was an interesting thing to learn.  I was in a job with a bully boss and had found myself in a relationship with someone who used illicit drugs (easier to get in a relationship with one; than out), and I was working full-time; working on doctoral degree full-time; add 12 hour driving time to and from school, and some community service/volunteer work- all occurring simultaneously. Then a health issue that can cause depression symptoms and hello, I am here.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There’s no single known cause of depression. Research indicates that it is likely a combination of factors. Genetics, biochemical, environmental and physiological factors can all individually or collectively contribute to depression.

Studies have shown that the brains of people who have depression are different from those without, indicating that depression is a disorder of the brain. Parts of the brain that are responsible for mood regulating, thinking, sleeping, appetite and behaviour appear to function abnormally. Additionally, the neurotransmitters (communicators in the brain) appear to be out of balance. 

As mentioned above, depression can run in families, can be caused by environmental factors such as stress, or it can be the result of a trauma or loss. Think about some of the contributing factors to your depression and share them with us.

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator 

Reading this thread: