Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Please help a new girl

9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ash,

I am on Xanax as well. Ask your therapist is you can take a higher dose when you are in this high anxiety. Most therapists don't mind. I was prescribed Klonopin for help with sleep because I was waking up in full blown panic attacks almost nightly months ago. I slept through the night on the klonopin, but am now off of them. I listen to Jody Whiteley and she puts me to sleep every night. I had to listen in the day because I was curious as to what she was saying and feel asleep after 20 minutes. I have no clue what she says past that 20 minutes. 

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi.

I'm not allowed to recommend on this site.  If it was me I would look up dosage on the internet and take how ever much Xanax I needed to sleep staying within the dosing range. Even maximum dose is considered acceptable up to one month. You can not become addicted to Xanax, but you can become dependant. There is a difference. Without sleep you will not be able to do the program efficiently. It is catch 22 if you don't get it in check you will likely end up on medication anyway.
Do you have a therapist?

Davit
9 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and thanks for replying everyone. These answers really really help me. Today is a really bad day. I went to bed last night at 11:30 and was up 4 times throughout the night. Woke at 8am with racing heart yet again which I couldn't calm down. Went to yoga- barely any relief. I need to sleep and I simply can't. Came home after yoga, still shaking, ate a tiny bit of chicken for lunch and finally couldn't stand it so I took a .25 Xanax to help me fall asleep. Listened to my Don't Panic app which usually helps me sleep too, and nothing. I'm desperate to take a nap, I'm sure I'd feel a little better if I could rest. All I feel now is still racing heart, a little bit of buzzing which in assuming is from the Xanax and eyes wide awake. I have not had any caffeine in over a week now and I am a hardcore coffee lover. I'm so scared this will happen tonight again too. I have to go to work tomorrow and I need to sleep. Help!
9 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ash, Welcome to the support group...The CBT program here really helps... Work it at your own pace and you will see improvements soon....Red.
9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and Welcome Ash,

Do you drink soda/cola? When I first went through a rough panic cycling starting in June where I felt the way you do now, I cut all soda and candy. :( It truly helped. I also started on some vitamins as a holistic approach. I am back up to almost two cans of soda a day now, but I can tell with my anxiety when I have overdone it with the second can. I also couldn't eat, but with the vitamins I had to take with a meal. I broke my meals down into 4 small meals a day and still continue this as it helps me. I couldn't sleep well at night and started listening to some sleep hypnosis videos on youtube. It was so relieving to sleep an entire night without waking up in a state of panic. There are numerous videos to listen to on there. One of my favorites is Jody Whiteley and  then Thomas Hall. There are also very good meditation ones on there also. Yoga Nidra is also relaxing. I hope this helps.

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I was getting off Ativan my doctor recommended Lemon Balm and I got it bulk at the health food store. It worked so well I now grow it. One benefit that I got that I didn't expect was that it allowed me to eat. I have medication that has to be taken with food so not eating is not an option. 15 minutes before a meal I would make a cup of tea with a heaping tea spoon of the dry leaves. I could swallow, I could eat. It felt so good. It is a member of the mint family and tastes horrible. Not at all like mint. I don't care because it works. It can be very bitter if made too strong. It doesn't need to be. Lemon Balm in tea bags is not the same. It has too much other stuff in it. You would have to drink more. For those it works for it is great. Taken in the evening it helps me sleep. Tetley's ginger mint is a good sleep aid too. Both though are mild diuretics.

Davit
I've been going to the gym almost daily, because it does in fact help lessen my anxiety. Totally takes my mind off of it. But I can't live at the gym! I wish I could. I've had this past week off from work, and now I'm trying to mentally prepare for my upcoming week, kind of re-entering back into my usual pattern except with this new anxious part of me. I'm hoping concentrating at work will fix it, but I don't know until I do it. The cold sweats and fogginess sure will not help anything during surgeries. I need to make myself eat, I'm exhausted from working out and lack of food. 
9 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ash2582,

I am so sorry you are feeling this way. Please know anxiety is very common and it is very manageable. When you are feeling anxious it can be easy to slip into thought patterns that perpetuate the anxiety. Remember, a big part of overcoming anxiety is challenging the thoughts that lead to a downward, anxious spiral. 

It sounds like improving your sleep cycle and eating habits will also be a big part of getting better. How do you think you can work on this? What are some small steps you can take now? One suggestion I have is exercise. Exercise during the day like walking or anything you enjoy will be a great way to lower your anxiety and it will likely improve you sleep and appetite. Is there a goal around exercise you can get started on today too?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thank you both for getting back to me. It's horrible how it comes and goes. One second I feel great and back to normal, and the next I am a ball of anxiety, checking my pulse to see if this is the time I should go to the ER. I'm exhausted, I can't keep myself asleep for more than 6 hours at a time (with the help of a .25 Xanax before bed). I'm petrified to go back to work on Monday, how will I work like this? I work in surgery and I need to be very aware of what is going on. I feel so disconnected, and loopy, it's almost as if I am having a bad reaction to something or was drugged (neither of which is possible). My poor boyfriend doesn't know how to help me, and my daughter is wondering what the hell is going on with me. I can not stomach food, I literally have to force myself to swallow, no appetite whatsoever, in the last three days I've eaten maybe five things. I'm sure my lack of food is contributing to how poorly I feel as well. My growling stomach is simulating the butterflies sometimes which I think leads to anxiety too! You guys are both so helpful. I'm here to read any feedback. Thank you. Can't wait to see my therapist Monday. And thanks for telling me I'm not going crazy Ashley. I am feeling like I'll never be back to my old self and it's so scary to me 
9 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Ash2582,

You are not going crazy. Anxiety is very manageable. First, don't give the anxiety more power - anxiety is just a feeling and it always passes. Remind yourself of that when you feel though feelings. Breath deep and tell yourself - "right now I am having an experience of anxiety." Also, get started on the program. First, take a look on the section on relaxation techniques and use these skills when you feel anxious and throughout the day. Then get started on session one. 

Have you had a chance to get started yet? Any questions so far?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: