Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Holiday Stress

13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am managing my holiday stress by being here, doing the work, and being supported by people who not only care, but listen.... really, truly listen. 

Christmas has always been difficult for me but I never fully "connected-the-dots" ...  I get it now.
38 years ago today, 20,000 people died as the result of an earthquake in the city where I lived at the time.  My family was immediately evacuated to the states... where, because we were privileged by citizenship, we "celebrated" the Christmas holidays.  Most of my neighbors and friends and teachers were left to survive in a city with no infrastructure.  Some did.  Some didn't. 

The CBT work that I've taken on here is teaching me how to be aware... of what I'm thinking and feeling and doing.  This awareness has enabled me to finally understand why I hate Christmas so much.  Why I feel shame when I get Christmas gifts.  Why I sometimes feel it is so wrong for me to be alive.  Why I feel so deeply saddened on this day. 

Alcohol distances the pain.  Anxiety camouflages it.  Depression denies it.  But the anxiety and sadness and terror and shame is all there still.  It may be hidden, but it surely has ruled my life for a really long time. 

Now, a door kept closed to protect myself, has been opened by these tools I am just learning to use... I have the tools to see;  I have the tools to feel.; I have the tools to understand. And, remarkably,  feel safe and calm while doing it.

This ... is how I'm  managing my Christmas stress; by being here, doing the work, and being supported by you.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am going to take a deep breath and take a little xanax as needed....

13 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

During the holiday season, stress levels can reach peak levels leading to many reactions within our body, including increased anxiety and fatigue. Your body’s physical and emotional reactions to stress are determined by your sympathetic nervous system (SNS). The SNS produces the fight or flight reaction in response to stress leading to an increased heart rate, muscle tension, increased blood flow and respiration. If you are constantly being exposed to stressful situations (ie. the holiday season) this may cause your SNS to overreact and be constantly stimulated. This constant stimulation can lead to depleted energy reserves and emotional and physical exhaustion. It’s important that during times of high stress we learn how to manage our stress levels.

Members, what are some of the ways that you manage your stress levels during the holiday season?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: