Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Rebuilding Your Self-Esteem

13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share an experience with you and people in hospitals. As you know, I lost my hearing to labyrinthitis an inflammation of the vestibular system. I was young at the time and I went for testing where they put me on a table and tuner me upside down . They put water in my ears hot and cold, forced air, and spun me around. All this caused extreme vertigo and at the time, they asked me to count back from 1000 by subtracting sevens, at the time I did not realize the purpose of this exercise. I have found out it is a technique that keeps the patient focussed and from letting anxieties and panic attack during the test to take over. This was my first testing and the people who did it treated me very well as I was still a child. They kept asking me to count and were saying things like good effort and it will not be to long before we finish.

Then I became an adult and went for similar type of testing as above. The same anxieties and panic attacks happened again only this time I was older. Therefore, I was met with anger that this test caused anxiety and panic attack. It seems to me that when you are a child people understand about the torture you are going through but as an adult, you should have full control over your emotions. In a sense, they are right as a child you are less likely to understand what is going on but as an adult, you should know and be able to calm yourself. This statement is half-true, as an adult we have greater insight and therefore, we can work through this program and gain insight that I child could not. However, because this program is here and I have not seen any crayon marks in the post I thinking that most of the people are adults on the site, and were unable until we hit bottom to finally figure out what was going on. This is not a failure or a negative thought it is just reality and from a statistic point of view, there are a considerable amount of adults, which struggle with panic attacks and anxieties.

So in affect I am answering loves trees question about wanting a person to help us through our troubles, for me this thought is apparent because of the way was treated as a child with understanding and compassion about my illness. Which I think I brought forward into adulthood the desire for someone to be compassionate with me and help me through this time of my life. However, I realize this is unrealistic, and as you said, you have to do it yourself. If you think about it if someone helps you through it and then leaves you do not have the tools for keeping yourself better.

On to Davit experience, I do not know if this story helps you but you are treated differently in a hospital when you are an adult, you are supposed to take the pain, not complain about it, and not react emotionally to it. With your family, I have been talking to my Dad about my fears and anxieties and telling him discoveries, I have made. He has OCD so you would think if anyone would understand I would be him. However, he cannot stand me talking to me about fear and anxieties and I think that it is because my fear comes from a core belief that I have identified in myself but my Dad has not. I think this is why it bothers him so much because he does not realize what I am taking about gets to one of his core belief that the has not identified. Therefore, I stop talking to him about anything I am doing because it is met with anger and the suggestion that I should just avoid the situation that causes me so many problems. (One can see where I got the avoidance concept from)

Dizzy

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone:  Passing on knowledge and experience is a wonderful thing.  We not only help others, we help ourself too.  It's a good feeling to know by sharing our experience we might be helping another, this is good for our self-esteem, plus a good review of the program.

Cheers, Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
loves trees

I saw my therapist today and she asked me if I remembered how I was two years ago. I said pretty bad, but she said I was a mess and started telling me about it. Boy I was a mess but you know, most of it is only a distant memory. You will get here too. And given time all this pain right now will just be a distant memory. And so will others and we can help them achieve this goal. In doing so we help ourselves.

Here for everyone.
Davit.
Hi Loves trees:  You are most welcome.  I remember when I first had panic attacks, no knowledge of what was happening and not knowing how to explain to family, struggling alone and a partner who got angry, upset because he couldn't help and didn't know what to do and was too busy to help anyway.  I felt alone too.  This site would have been a wonderful and great help to me if it had been available then.    Keep the faith.
Your friend, Sunny 
13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny, Davit and  Ashley,

Thank you all so much for responding here. Your time taken to respond does mean a lot to me. I have taken more responsibility for my anxiety - possibly  as a result of realizing no one was going to cradle / coddle me through it no matter how much I asked. anyways, it doesn't really matter how I got to this point, the good news is that I believe (!) my anxiety is my responsibility. 

It is not easy to feel anxious so often as I do some days / weeks. I really have wanted someone, somewhere to hold my hand through this but I have started a new habit of discerning between the ideal and the real. We all have ideals for each day, holiday, weekend, moment and event in our life. Sometimes our ideal is met. Sometimes it is even exceeded - i.e. we were happier than we expected to be. I had to realize I do not have an ideal situation, but then the next rational thought for that one is - who does? truly. No one really has what they envision as "ideal" if the conditions we consider ideal are all external. Peace / calm resides in the mind. therefore looking to external conditions to improve first had me caught in an impossible cycle of agitated mind seeking relief through external conditions (better job, better friends, better this and that).

so that thought process brought me to a much better place than I was at when I posted here a few days ago. It was important to realize my anxiety was being met with anger. For one thing, it changes the way I think I should be when I get anxious. 

this program brought me to my edge in pretty much every way possible. The edge of where I felt comfortable, the edge of how much sadness I thought I could bear, the edge of desperation to find someone else (besides me) to take on my anxiety.I read about the edge from a self help book. When you are standing at your edge, at least for me, it actually did feel pretty much the same as standing at the edge of a cliff would feel - upsetting, terrifying. I was confronted by suppressed feelings. It wasn't easy. It wasn't quick either. Getting to the point of really believing that some of the things I was angry about were blessings in disguise. That took time. But I am glad it has happened finally.

No, I have not experienced a lot of kindness from relatives but i have been the recipient of kindness from non family members - including people here such as yourselves. I have chosen this week to focus on those experiences, and to really take on thought awareness in earnest so that what I focus on in my mind grows and the thoughts that do not help me to believe in kindness, i breathe and tell them they are not useful to me. 

I recently heard on a podcast that we have thousands of thoughts a day. That seems true to me. And we may , in the beginning, have to start attending to each of our thoughts in order to get a real handle on our minds, in order to find real peace of mind. that struck me. I have to attend to all these thoughts, all the time. The good ones need fertilizer and the bad ones need weeding out. There is no other way except to do this daily if one wants to have some calm in the mind. Which i really do. I believe I deserve that more than anything for myself. 

Sunny I have started being my own best friend and it is good. I have some room to grow it of course but I would say that lately I have not had any days where I do not take care of myself which is a huge improvement over where I was last year at this time. Thanks so much for the encouragement. It means a lot to me to read your thoughts and experiences.

Davit thanks for sharing your experience with your family members. it has been hard for me to accept that my family members are too angry to really 'see' me. But I have to accept that as a fact. It is not my fault. I see that for myself now. I have better beliefs about myself. that is what matters most. my beliefs about them need more work as I aim to feel compassion for them devoid of anger but that is what I am working on as a process. Not so I can engage with them, but so I can have more peace of mind myself. It is definitely a process. None of this happens over night.
 I really appreciate all your posts here. I contemplate your words often throughout the day.

Ashley,I think I have answered  your questions indirectly here. Sorry for the long post! Taking care of my own anxiety will relieve the part of me that still believes I can't do it. That part is getting smaller each day but is still there. I know because I have weathered about 50% of anxious moments with mindfulness and the others I have not been able to manage yet. 

Thank you everyone. Looking forward to more good posts on the forum and looking forward to someday considering myself one of the cured (I feel I am closer than ever before).
sunny

I like this, I think I do this too. 

Here for you.
Davit
Hi Loves trees:  I'm truly sorry you have no one to hold your hand and comfort you when you need some TLC. (tender loving care).  What I did at the beginning is remember to think of myself as my best friend.  What would I do if my best friend were stressed out and anxious?  Then, that's what I would do for myself.  Hug myself, treat myself royally, be gentle with my thoughts, actions.  If she'd want a lie down, then I have a lie down with a soft cuddly throw, if she wanted a hot cup of tea, then I'm going to have a nice cup of tea.  Anything I would do for a friend, I do for me. 

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Loves trees,

You make a lot of sense.  I think it will be very beneficial for you to be able to take care of yourself with kindness as opposed to anger.  I think you will be able to do this and it will be an skill that can help you in all areas of your life. 

A few questions to get you thinking,
How would being kind to yourself look?
What would be different?
What would be the same?
If you were able to be kind to yourself during anxiety what would this bring to your life?

Ashley, Health Educator
loves trees

I do not know why people meet anxiety with anger, but they do. In the hospital when I would panic as a reaction to the massive amount of medication I was on I would be met by anger from the nurses. No compassion except from one care person, not even a nurse but the lady who bathed people. Never did I see anger from her. Tears once and frustration but never anger. I wanted to be calm so it wouldn't effect her. 
And family was worse. I am an embarrassment to my brother because I am not perfect like his wife's family. ( believe me they are far from perfect ) His anger and hers caused our estrangement. 

What you are going to do is going to be hard. So much anger to try to balance with the memory of one kind person. I think you can do it though. You can water the seed and watch it grow. You can go to this special place when you need to. And you can learn to be kind to yourself even though all the anger around you is telling you not to. I believe people treat you the way they see you. Love yourself and others will love you too. If there anger is making you angry too then all they will see is anger. Ignore them and treat yourself with care and love and they will have to follow. ( within their capability ) 

Beware though that there are people that meet every situation with anger. They know no other way.  Be yourself, be who you want to be, be an orange and let the rest of the world be apples if they want to be. Be yourself, be kind and compassionate to yourself and others and some of those apples will turn into oranges. And If no one else cares remember that I do.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,

Thanks for this post. 

My anxiety isn't being met with any kindness and that is really challenging. Once I get anxious or angry (which are still entangled as anger is what the anxiety ends up coming out as) there are no adult minds in the house anymore. meaning i am childlike - needing consolation, understanding, support, but the person i live with is angry with me or angry about my  anxiety. My anxiety is often met with anger. No one else in my life knows I struggle with anxiety. I have tried to tell a few people I am struggling but I was not met with any comforting words or sympathy so I didn't go any further with that.

Today I went into my mind  and tried to recall the last time my anxiety was met with kindness without any anger attached.  It was a very long time ago, more than 10 years ago, but it did happen. Today I am focusing on the fact that this was my experience of kindness.

You can read about kindness in books etc.. but to experience someone's comfort during an anxiety attack is what I have been wanting and needing for a long time.

My process will be to become the friend, the comforting caregiver to myself that I have been trying to find in others. I am not there today, but that is a good goal for myself I think. Today I am going to remind myself of that person's kindness so many years ago to use that memory to water the positive belief that kindness does and can be given, and that I can do for myself what that person did for me so many years ago - met my anxiety with kindness instead of anger. 

I thought I would share that. Does it make sense to you? I want to water a positive thought seed in hopes it will eventually bloom. I want to believe I can care for myself regardless of the actions of others around me. It is a hard process. From being on this forum I know I am not the only one working hard to take good care of themselves when anxiety persists. I thought maybe my thoughts might help someone else here too.

Reading this thread: