Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Driving over a bridge exposure

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, I can see the curls.  Was that like your mom or your Dad? 

Your old, but not gray yet, friend,
Sunny  
okay, okay, so I colour my hair, but I only have a few gray hairs, honestly.  lol
My mom in her 90's still isn't fully gray, so I must take after her.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sunny

Yes it is me. I don't know how old. I still have curly hair just not as red.

Your old gray friend,
Davit.
Davit:  Sorry, this doesn't have anything to do with the topic, but I just had to comment. That's gotta be you!  How old are you?  Really cute.
Davit:  I know exactly what you mean - it's like stopping to smell the roses, as they say.  Enjoy the moment, the now. and we are part of it, a pure moment without any negative distraction, a communion of the spirit. 

Loves trees:  some people are not as observant as others and may not notice a lot of details.  Some may not be able to articuclate well what they have seen or feel.  Not everyone can write a book nor become an artist. Creative people notice more I think.  Like you, I rarely follow a pattern, like doing my own thing.  I'm glad not everyone is alike though, how boring would that be?  As for forcing the positive outlooks, yes, sometimes one has to look for the positives and remind ourselves of them.  For me it's more to live in the moment without worrying about something else, my health, someone else's problem, etc.  When you are ill or fearful about something it might be harder to find those positive things, that's when you dig deep within yourself and find those things which make you happy and you have to keep reminding yourself of them.  What are the positives in your life which you have and/or are looking for?
loves trees

To answer your last question. Yes I did have to force them. Then one day I was on my tractor and nearly fell off it. The whole world turned beautiful. It only lasted about an hour but I took the tractor out of gear and sat there looking around. I saw everything, clouds, leaves rippling in the breeze. The sound of the tractor. My house. everything was clear and in its place and there was this feeling of peace I had not felt in so long. All I could think was " wow, is this what it is supposed to be like." It happened a few more times but months apart. Now it just seems to be there most of the time and with a little thought I can bring it up when I'm having a bad day. It is not the same when I have to force it. But it is still good and I seldom have to force it, it usually just is there.

I am another one of those people with too many questions. "Why" seems to dominate my thoughts but it is a useful "why". Don't ever stop learning. And Yes some times it clutters my mind so much it is tiring, but seldom is it negative and when it is I shoot it down right away.
I use a lot of positive "What ifs". Life really is good this side of panic as you will see when it happens and it will happen.

Here for you
Your friend
Davit
13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, this was very supportive of you to suggest this. Its true perhaps the good imagination is a b lessing or curse depending how i am using it . i am also very creative and not scared to try new things when i start hobbies, i read directions but then i go my own way most of the time. i play "what if i used this color" all the time when i am crafting. and it is fun. 

This AM i was thinking that i think too much. :) like i'd like to know what the average number of thoughts for a person is in a day. i wonder if i am above average. can i change how many thoughts i have in a day? probably not. its probably a personality trait. i've met people who don't seem to think as much as i do. that sounds bad but what i mean is, they see a movie, and they say 'it was great' and they don't think about all the different aspects of it that i do. 

So having positive thoughts grow over the negative thoughts is really important if i can't change the fact that i have a lot of thoughts in a day. i have been paying more attention and i don't think i go 10 minutes without a negative thought. I want to change that. flipping the what ifs is probably going to help a lot with that.

when we are happy we probably have fewer thoughts, less "mind is racing" moments in a day. 

I went for a walk yesterday and tried to have more positive thoughts. they dont come naturally (yet). i have to focus on having them. it felt a bit wierd after a while. the trees looked nice, the sky was nice, i was trying to take it in, enjoy the moment, but i sort of ran out of positive thoughts to produce in my mind after a while. I suspect that Sunny, you and others who are further along the path dont have to produce positive thoughts, they simply arise. I want to get there.

Do you recall how you developped a habit of having positive instead of negative thoughts? Did you start by having to 'create' them before they simply started coming? 
loves trees

"what ifs"  It means you have a good imagination, have you ever tried the "what ifs" in a positive manner.  How about  "what if the sides were too high for some one to push me over" in stead of "what if some one pushed me over." I can't think of a reason "what ifs" couldn't be used for positive with a little practice.

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This came up when I read Davits post

I d'nt like walking across bridges either, but I do it . I especially hate when you can see through the side rail or bottom grates to see down below. Some people think it is neat to be able to see below. Not me. 
What is this about? Sometimes I visualize that someone might push me over. I don't think about it, this vision just comes up in my mind. Or if I slip, no one will help me. Maybe I fear situations where I might need some help. I don't fear driving because I am in control. I don't tend to fear situations I can feel in control of.

Ladies

It is a fact that if you bury negative thought with positive in one situation and master it you will automatically do it in others unless you purposely look for the negative. In fact at some point you WILL do it with out even thinking about it. I know because I do. I can't put a time on it, it just happened.

Here for you 
Davit.
Hi Cleo:  I think if you can get to the end of the wharf, you will be able to walk that bridge.  When you believe you can do something, you can do it.  I like what loves trees says:  "you are strong now, look how strong you've become".  We are never the same person.  Each trauma, experience, changes you.  Hopefully we learn from them and become stronger.  It's not the wharf/bridge you fear but the feeling you experience.  I know, you know that. 
Wondering if you could walk in the middle of the wharf so you won't be close to the edges.  Then when you've mastered that, go a little closer to one side, etc.  and don't look down.  Then continue that and have a look every now and then, continue to the end.  That sort of routine.
p.s. The San Franciso Golden Bridge is awesome! and they have a place where you can park and view the bridge at sunset.  Very beautiful. I wish I could take you there. 

Reading this thread: