Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Social Anxiety

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Teebs, 

We all must find our own direction. There is no right or wrong directon. The point is to move forward in a positive direction.  Its sound like you have found yours.

Good Luck,

Red
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Teebs

Great idea! The animals will love you unconditionally, so will children. This is a good way to build positive core beliefs, helping others really does help you. Go for it, I am with you.

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Teebs:  that sounds great.  You not only help others, you help yourself too.  This will keep you socially active and you'll get more contacts and ideas for later.  Congratulations.  I hope you go for it.  Of course, it is your decision to make.  As you say, you can give only 1 hr. or take more if it suits you.  Good luck.  Volunteering helped me get out and about and out of the house.
Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yesterday someone mentioned to me that the local elementary school is always looking for adults to volunteer and do science activities with the kids. I'm thinking this might be a good way for me to work on my social anxiety a little bit this fall/winter. It could be as little as an hour a week and for some reason children might be a little less anxiety-inducing than adults.

When working through things like this program, it's easy to get really self-involved....not in a negative way, because it's all about taking care of yourself and working to get better, but if that's all you do you can become too obsessed with yourself. Volunteering, or doing something focused on taking care of or helping someone or something else, seems like it would be good when working on recovery.

I'm not sure if I'll do the elementary school thing....I may start by volunteering at the animal shelter. The cats and dogs that need attention there are probably an even "easier" first step when it comes to working with social anxiety.
Cleo,
I didn't and it was hard, even so I loved my patient and they loved me.  I feel privileged to have been able to be there with  some of them on the final journey in this life.  That is in the past and I am on a new chapter in my life now.  I am on a much happier journey now.  My own journey, my final chapter in my life and I plan to enjoy every minute of it.  

Getting back to the topic and thread of social anxiety and moving in a more positive direction like Ashley suggested in her question to us all.  What social hobbies, like classes, volunteering, sports, etc. etc. is everyone else thinking about doing or partaking in??

Red
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red,
I was just reading your posts about how you nursed in -homes, and prefered it because it was solitary. I have a question for you...I worked with VON for several years..in-home nursing. At first I loved it, but as time went on I got too involved with my clients..took their problems home with me, and since there were no   co-workers there was no-one to vent to. I love working in a team,even though some people annoy me! ha, I know enough about myself to realize that I need people around me. So how did you remain empathetic but not sympathetic to your clients? Or did you?  Just curious.
Off to work,
Cleo

My last post I posted before I read Ashley question?  My answer is one everyone has probably read in my posts I am getting ready to take another quilting class this month which is very social.  I also plan on going to a pumpkin patch, nut farm this month where the will be members of tractor and engine clubs we belong to demonstrating there engines. Were are not showing we are just going to socialize and have a good time this time.This will be opening day for the Bates nut farm for the fall. Their will be demonstrations of running a farm and taking care of farm animals. The 4H club and the boy and girl scouts will be there. This is there family learning day.  This will be a very social event.  In October we have plans to go to a antique engine show in Arizona.  In January we will be setting up and showing engines in Arizona which is a club we belong.  This will be a old fashioned farm type of show and should be a lot of fun.  We also will be going to Quartzite  Arizona in Janunary to camp and explore the acres and acres of swap meets they have there and also a hobby and craft show that I am looking forward to seeing.  We meet many interesting new people at these events and there is always something new to see.  This is always exciting and we get fresh ideas for new projects.   

Red

Social Anxiety ???
I was just reading the title of this tread and went back to the beginning of it. I think social anxiety may play a big part in my anxiety and agoraphobia.  I have been pretty much of a loner most of my life. Buy the time I was a teenager is was a set behavior.  When I was working, my job was solitary work, just me and my patient.  I did private duty nursing.  I enjoyed my work and the one on one time with my patients and I was very good at my profession.  The thing is, I choose solitary work and I choose to lead a solitary life.  I am beginning to think that this contributed to the Agoraphobia that I now have.  I have been working at getting out of this mold and my shell since I started working this program.  I have made some progress, but I also have come to realize that I have to be vigilant and keep at it because it is just to easy and comfortable for me to slide back into the solitude.  Kind of like a comfortable old shoe, except that the old shoe is not quite as comfortable as it used to be.  It feels tight and uncomfortable now.

Red
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,

This sounds like a great hobby, taking a class on something like this would be great exposure work for some too!

In regards to the wellness tea, everyone be sure to talk with a doctor before taking any herbals with other medication.

Getting back to the topic of social anxiety, what are some hobbies we all could participate in that would involve being in social situations? For example, classes, volunteering, sports.  Anyone have any social hobby they are thinking or partaking in?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's funny you should mention clear soap with toys in them, because that's what I went out and bought today.  I have 3 tubes of plastic themed animals.  I like the sea life ones to put in blue clear soap, so it look's like they're in the ocean :)  My daughter's boyfriend loves hammerhead sharks, so I'm going to put one in a bar of soap for him.  I realize he's 20 yrs. old, but he and all of Dominique's college friends are like big kids and they like stuff like that.  They are still into Pokemon cards and I am too.  I get invited to play cards with the kids when they're all home for summer.  Back to soap, I have another tube of safari animals which I thought would look good in clear green soap and my favorite, a tube of dogs.  My one childhood friend loves Dalmatians, so I'm going to make a red bar of soap with a Dalmatian in it; she'll like it.  I also found the latest fad craze in America, called squinkies, they are cute little animal and kid characters I can put in soaps to sell; they'll go fast like beanie babies used to.  The squinkies were sold out at two stores, so I went to another town to get them.  I bought more supplies for my soap making, like plastic wrap to keep the soap fresh until used.  I found some great inexpensive screens to dry my future herbs for soaps, etc.  I got out and talked to a lot of sales people.  I had lunch at a food court in the mall.  I had mild anxiety, because it was warm in there and I only had coffee for breakfast and nothing to eat.  Plus, it was crowded and noisy.  I told myself I would feel better after eating and I did.  The people in my area are very tense and rushed and have no time.  They zip here and there like sweatbees :)  After awhile, that "energy" starts becoming contagious and I just have enough of rushed people and am glad to get back home.  I had to read in the car at traffic lights.  But, I am well, no panic.  I walked a lot and it was good to be around people, even though, I wasn't with a friend.  I'm still on a friend search and I'm not giving up.  Maybe I should start a meet up group, myself, instead of waiting to find one that suits me. 

Reading this thread: