Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,547 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Transitioning back to work

14 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
Yes, talking with my co-worker about her anxiety  is very helpful in the sense that it is nice to know  its not just me there suffering.. This is a "secret" conversation..we both said it'd be only between us.
 My honest thoughts:  I feel if everyone knew they would say I was crazy, or be on the "lookout " for my mental health, and probably question my judgement (more). I have 6 people to supervise, and some of them already do not take direction well. If they knew I had anxiety I fear they would be manipulative and use it against me.
The benefits would probably be that I would feel more relaxed...maybe...
Anerol, I feel for you...you  were really brave to tell your co-workers about your anxiety! how about taking Ashley's advice on a careeer counsellor?
I also saw the doctor again...wow! 3 times in 3 weeks...hadn't seen  a  doctor for almost 10 years before that! I was so preoccupied with worry about work that the dr.s visit took second.... 
It was ok. I wasn't overly anxious. Had my B/P...bit high,  I am to see her in a month so we will talk more about it then.I have decided  to take Davit's advice and take my B/P as much as possible. Mind you I want to cover the display so I can't see the reading.
I am still on the 10 questions/negative thoughts. I read all the end chapters...I  don't quite know how to start the exposure. I guess since the fear of seeing doctors and having my B/P checked is  high on my list of fears I already have achieved a goal! hmmm. There is a little pier here on the water that I have never been able to walk out to the end on.  Maybe I think I'll use that  as a goal for the next couple weeks.
As for going  back to work ..2 shifts now.I worried about "what if" .. Thursday I was really anxious  for a couple of hours then it calmed down.  I used the 10 questions/breathing , and they really helped. Yesterday it was strange. The anxiety lasted longer, but it was less intense.  Not so many "what ifs". And when I got really hot..(the elderly love it hot) I didn't overreact! I accepted being hot.
Thank you all so much for letting me vent.
Cleo
14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cleo,

I think talking to this other staff member is a good idea.  Remember anxiety is nothing to be ashamed of.  How do you this it could help or hinder you having other people at your workplace know about the anxiety?

How have you been doing on the program?  What session are you on? 

Anerol,

Apprehension about going back to work after three years is completely understandable.  An idea might be to talk to a career counselor.  They have great resources and tips for people who have been off work for long periods of time.  Do you think looking into this would be an option for you?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been jobless for 3 years now. A few days ago, I browsed a company's application for and looked at what people need to fill in and became worried how difficult it would be if I do ever start working again. I remember when I was 'normal', I'd never quit a job before I found a new one because I always thought it would look 'bad' on your resume/applications. That is one thing I worry about. I don't know how I'll ever get started to step out there, that's another thing I worry about, but I try not to think about it anymore. During the 3 years, I went back to my old job one day and I told them my situation and they were really open about it. They rehired me on the spot and everyone couldn't believe I could have anxiety. I worked for one day but quit because I decided for the divorce and had to move out of the city. I don't know if I'd be able to tell my employers my situation now... I feel like I was that desperate then so I did.

14 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
Its interesting you posted this topic today, as this evening I am going back to work after 2 weeks off.
I wanted to write my feelings down and you have given me the spot to do it.
I experienced very intense panic episodes just over 2 weeks ago at my work..which lead to me going to the doctor and starting on the Celexa. I also have an undiagnosed physical ailment so that is the excuse I gave for my absence. But a big part of me wishes I could be honest about my anxiety. Of course I worry that if  my co-workers know they will think I'm weird or mentally ill..etc..I have been using the positive thinking and asking myself the questions when I fear the worst happening.  It's very helpful. I fear the usual...passing out, losing control, getting caught.
 I went to my workplace last evening for a bit ... the excuse being  to chat with some co-workers and see what's changed since I've been gone, but I really went to  look around a bit and walk down a long hallway  (where I had bad panic) . It was ok.  not perfect, but ok. I think it helped. I also got a big surprise..a young staff member was talking about her anxiety and a medication her doctor rx'd her! There wasn't time to get into it so we agreed to talk tonight. I think I'll feel comfortable  talking to her, seeing as she  has anxiety! And is open about it.
I am a Licenced Practical Nurse, I have 40 seniors in various stages of dementia and 6 Nurse's Aids to look after on my shift. For some reason (unknown yet to me) I feel compelled to say what I do. When I write it down its feels good so I'll leave it in here. I hope thats ok.  
I would love to hear any tips/thoughts from the members. I am so glad I found this place.
Cleo  

14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Have you taken a leave of absence from work? Are you anxious at the thought of returning?

Please know you are not alone and absence from work related to mental illness is more common that you think. Luckily, you have a great group in which to talk about it!

What worries you the most? If you’ve transitioned back to work, do you have any tips for those currently in the process?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: