Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Information on Topic

16 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My phobias are: Social events-especially those that include family Being the centre of attention Public Speaking Standing in line Standing at attention Overly quiet places Wide open spaces and i have a fear of never getting rid of my phobias :gasp:
16 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That stand up comedy clinic sounds like a good way to get over stage fright! Thank you for sharing with me. It is nice to see I am not the only one with this particular issues :) -Diva
16 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva, You raise some similar points to me. Since moving to an apartment I haven't been happy with, I find it unpleasant to shower. I rationalize that if the water pressure was higher, it would be more pleasurable. Many people avoid the bus like the plague and for that very reason. It is widely accepted that the inside of a bus can be a very germy place, I wash my hands as soon after I get off being on a bus. I'm apt to wear earplugs much of the time to avoid having to endure the racket of the city. Motorcycles, construction equipment, helicopters whatever, I just find it more pleasant to tone down all the background noise. Regarding large gatherings and feeling cramped, I often attribute to being unsure that I can find a speedy exit. As long as I can see my route away from the crowd, I am more tolerant. I studied with Toastmasters for at least 3 years to tackle the public speaking one. Haven't been for a while and getting rusty. Have been investigating a doctor who runs clinics where you turn your mental health issues into a stand up comedy routine. Then give the performance to an audience. yikes.
Ok as for phobias and things I struggle with: -Taking the bus -Showers and bathtubs (I still get it done everyday, but I often feel panicky) -Deadlines -Health issues -Noisy places -Large gatherings -Feeling cramped in a space -Public speaking ... The list could go on. But what shocks me here is that altho I still struggle with an obviously long enough list of issues, my quality of life has really improved quite a lot. I am more functionnal and much happier nowadays. It really does get better... -Diva
Hello Emily and Riverwind, I just wanted to say hi and hang in there things can get better. Tje program here has really helped me. I lead a pretty full and happy life nowadays. Most days are good days. I still get my bad days like anybody else but I get through them much more easily. And hey, if I can do it anyone can! Anyway, welcome to the forums! -Diva
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the group! We encourage you to begin working through the program and reading through past/present discussions. Both are great starting points. Keep us posted. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hate the word phobia. It sounds so clinical and negative. I guess my phobia would be social situations. It's almost schitzophrenic for me because I'm such a social person but the fear of panic attacks really forces me to avoid any gathering where I may feel uncomfortable. My boyfriend of 3 years has been there for me through everything and I always feel comfortable with him and now that we are possibly breaking up and I'm going to be living on my own I'm feeling like I can't go anywhere without panicing unless he's there. I know he's not always going to be there and I know that I need to get over this fear and that I will be fine on my on but it's easier said than done. I can't focus on what I need to do for myself because I'm spending so much time worrying about panic attacks and focusing on my symptoms. I'm depressed and all i want to do is cry and sleep. :(
16 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Riverwind. You and I have done a great thing by joining this panic centre. It's so important to be able to talk about our disorder and know that others are going through the same thing. It's good that you know that your avoidance isn't helping, it's really not. I get the stomach issues and sweats too and it's absolutely horrible. I was better for a long time and now some stressful situations in my life have brought everything back again and I have to relearn how to cope with things. Please don't refer to yourself as a whackjob because you're not. I'm adding you as a buddy. If you ever need to express your feelings please feel free to do so. Got to get you out into the park in time for spring! :)
16 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All: I am also posted in the depression center. I have been dealing with alot of depression and Agoraphobic behavior. They talk about having to "avoid" different situations... I can tell you from direct experience, I have even taken a job as a work at home call center representative because I have been so panicked about going out of the home to work. I have tried to explain this to my husband but he seems to blow it off. I mean I get so upset, my stomach gets nauseous, I get the cold sweats, anxious / nervous hands shaking, irritability, I could go on forever! Anyway, since I have gotten this job, I have felt an overwhelming sense of relief. I have even told my husband I would like to have a treadmill because I don't want to go outside and walk!! Reasons being, so many... I couldn't possibly go into them all here. LOL I know this isn't good but I'm also one of those that sees the world through their computer, which also makes me not want to leave home. Whack job, I know, I just pray I can work through some of this enough to feel comfortable taking my grandsons to the park again. They say you don't get help (usually) til you're at the bottom... I say, fooey!!! If that were true... I wouldn't be here now. I'm trying NOT to get any worse!! :)
16 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
An appointment was made to meet face to face with a client. I had talked to them on the phone and had obviously picked up the intensity and high expectations that they had. The anticipatory anxiety leading up to the meeting was almost unbearable, the worst I have experienced for quite a while. The actual meeting wasn't as bad, only had some minor persperation and did speak up assertively on a number of occasions. It was the uncertainty and imagined experience that really drove my tension through the roof. That would be a phobia of social interactions.

Reading this thread: