Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Waiting at the Doctors and related issues

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder if anyone actually understands what the doc says?
Mine said something about my ankle, scribbled it on a prescription pad, and away I went.

Then I have all these questions, and I'm stuck, since I can't call him, since I could be anywhere, and my cell doesn't always work.

I read that some docs are so tired, they just order tests to cover their fatigue and feeling of being overwhelmed.
Red,
I'm anal, so I'll have to not take credit for the fact that it was his own energy bar.

I actually am suspicious(surprise, surprise?) when patients bring stuff to the staff, since  most docs are affluent, and the gesture really looks suspicious and seems like a bribe in a place where all the patients want attention.

If you want make a difference, I say make a donation to a hospital, abused women's shelter, etc.

Today, what bothered me was the selfish people asking for flu shots, when they're free, and at all the local pharmacies.  I just see it adding to my wait time, and removing value from the doc's practise.  It doesn't make sense, to me.  We could lose him to the cosmetics industry where he could become a multi-millionaire, instead of a millionaire, and there are already shortages of docs already, and this guys good.  

As for those people with long faces, who drape their coats all over all the chairs, show no courtesy towards others in the waiting room, but are kissing the doc's and staff's behind, there is - I believe - a special place in hell.

I know someone who says there's a device which jams cellphones so they're not usable.  Gosh I'd like one of those! 
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Guys,

Hugs I love your fantasy of dancing on the persons cell phone, that made me smile and the doctor and the energy bar great tip maybe I'll bring my doctor a energy bar next time I see him. His sits and yawns and is half asleep on most visits. His a young guy so he must need more sleep. Kind of like one of those babies the doctor you mentioned would see..Maybe he needs to see her..He does look like a baby..

Davit, Your right we make our choices in life and we do what we have to or want to do so we can be as comfortable as humanly possible in this crazy speeded up world. We do have to accept the trade offs we've made, don't we and hope that it is all worth it in the end..

Red..

Hi Davit,
I'm lucky enough for now to not have to travel, but the doc has a partner in cosmetics quite a distance, so I can live with the present until he moves his practise.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

I figure a person has to separate what they choose and what is forced on them so that I am not putting blame where it doesn't belong and turning into a chronic complainer which by my definition is someone who places blame where it doesn't belong. You know how easy this is to do when everything is going wrong.
I live in a tiny community by choice. And I live on an acreage by choice. It is a trade of inconvenience for peace. Now for some that would be an oxymoron. What I am saying is I can't have peace as I see it with convenience. There is also what I can afford. It is all a juggling act and most of us don't juggle well. The scales are still balanced in my favour but may not be forever. 
You waited four hours but don't mention how long it took to get there or home. I drove for 3 hours in what could have been bad weather if it was today. Because of a shortage of staff I waited half an hour for a literally two minute appointment. One minute per eye. 
I forced myself to walk around a store so I could get two lined shirts that I can't buy here since I was there anyway. Again I am happy it was a nice day. But instead of going to the thrift stores I just went to a store I knew would have them. Juggling again. Can I afford it. I don't know, I put it on visa.
So here I am at home looking at a snow storm. Am I upset because I spent 7 hours for a two minute appointment and two expensive shirts. Hell no because it is still in the balance. The Lady in the next chair lives there. It is convenient and she could go buy a shirt anytime. but her trade off is noise and pollution. She might well think I'm crazy to live here with my higher prices and long drive but I have to disagree. I might be upset with the lost day and headache I got but there is no one to blame but me, it was my choice. Even the weather is a round about choice. In a perfect world we might have nothing to complain about, but we might also have less choice than we have now. 
Compared to my life, how is your balance. It is twenty minutes here to the stores, gym and pharmacy. The same to watch a play. How inconvenient are the inconveniences compared to what they could be. Oh and one other thing. If your medical system is such that everyone waits four hours it is an inconvenience all right but doesn't count in the balance. By the way the big cities here are getting as bad. Which is why I don't live in one. No matter how easy it would be for me to go buy a shirt. It is all about balance. And it is still snowing, but I think I will go to the store anyway. I can always turn back, I have lots of food.

Davit
I started this thread since I think so many of us spend so much time at the doctors' offices and doing medical tests, that it might help.

I spent 4 hours waiting for the doc, not including the time I had to go earlier in the day to get on a waiting list.  That was pure luck, since a receptionist(who's doc turned down my parent as a potential patient since the practise doesn't have room, except for newborns) was opening her office for the day on a different floor.

When I'm waiting, my head is just swirling full of thoughts, and I'm annoyed when somebody tries to jump the line, as the secretaries try to hold them at bay.  This is really annoying, and I wonder how often in the past, this has succeeded.  People are just selfish, and are supposed to go to emergency room.  Since these people continue this, I think they should have their health insurance revoked, since we pay as a community for everyone's care.

As for people with cellphones, I don't want to hear about your life!  Go outside and brag about what you have to brag about in your life, since it's a public waiting room.  How I'd like to dance on your cellphone!  And I don't dance!!

When I leave, I get a "laser look" from some bag of wind.  The reality is that my doc actually "rests" in the examining room with me, and looks at others' paperwork. 

I'm getting better, since I  asked him if he'd eaten, and he said "thanks for asking".  All he'd had was an energy bar.

Reading this thread: