Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,642 Members

Please welcome our newest members: JARCA, JCONOPIO, SBUENVIAJE, RSUNGA, FJANA MARJORIE

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Some perfectionism and indecisiveness crept into my gardening.  Neighbours are having a night bbq party with cards, and noticed when I sniffed a beautiful white rose.  It actually smelled like wine or beer, and I thought it was from their party!  I did a lot of weeding, but I'm not sure when to compost and mulch now, since there's always more to do.  I wasn't sure whether I should mulch the hostas, since they might have to be moved when the porch is renovated.  I keep telling myself that there isn't room for perfectionism here in a garden, but the neighbours' stuff looks so good.

Those beans are going to have to be replanted, and the endive seedlings didn't come out, so I'll have to buy some of those with basil and pole beans.  Tomorrow I'll probably plant the parseley and lettuce which looks good in their vases.  I'm trying to resist that inner voice which tells me so much of this could have been done earlier, but it's so easy to look back isn't it?

Losing myself in the garden is a nice treat.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I am sore today. It is one of the quirks of my form of Arthritis that on hot sunny days I ache. Not bad but it is there.
And of course this is the time for mowing. And the time to pull weeds out and let them die in the sun. I have too much Winter Savoury. I read that beans produce better in it's presence. I guess I'll transplant some out to the pole beans and see.
I'm weeding flower beds and transplanting plants to them to fill empty spaces. My Hansas are blooming nice in this heat.
I'll have to take pictures.
My stray cat was crying it's eyes out last night. I wonder if some one threw it out because it was in heat. Well Theodore can't help there. Do I really need kittens, cute as they are. Wild if I don't catch Mommy. I hope it is just lonely. Mean while I'm feeding it good Lamb and rice cat food at 4.00 a pound. Lucky cats. It will probably just eat the food and live in the buildings till it gets cold this winter.
I do not like deer, they are cute but they eat the Saskatoon berry bushes. I don't like bears, they are not cute and they eat the berries. Poor me, life is so tough. Cougars eat the deer, but they also eat dogs cats and kids. England gets by without these animals, why can't we. At least we don't have wild pigs.
Going to be a long day today.

Davit
Our neighbours put in concrete ornamental edging along the chain link fence for about 10 feet, showing me that her priorities are skewed.  My parent's wall is covered in pigeon crap from their roosting pigeons, since they won't spend 60 dollars for spikes.  That edging must be pricey, but if they got free, I guess it's sensible.

It still doesn't explain the priorities, since the same resources to fix one problem could fix another
I got a late start so I will get a late finish today. Just stopping for a cup of tea and then some tractor work. 64 total feet of onions weeded today and a dozen feet of garlic. I was rained on once and had to stop but worked in a green house instead. If I can still walk after my tea and haven't stiffened up that is. Can't drive a tractor if I can't get on it. Can you believe I'm actually enjoying this. I certainly sleep well. On the weekend I will treat myself to Lemon Meringue pie.

Davit
To plant some tomatoes, I added compost, and then triple mix to some soil.  After watching youtube, I'd decided to put collars, using old yogurt containers, and pieces of cardboard from the inner tube of a  parchment paper roll I used up, as well as a toilet paper roll inner tube.

Loving to re-use things is inspiring for some reason.  I can't wait to re-use dental floss for securing plants, and it encourages me to floss daily!.  Hopefully the collars will work, and it will inspire mom to eat her yogurt daily.

I have this sick feeling inside my stomach that I am focusing on the wrong things, but the beautiful flowers and plants invigorate mom.

I think I'm going to sleep well, since I was lugging around stuff while I was less active yesterday, and kneeling down was a big production, even though I was wearing gel kneepads.

I suppose it's all to focus on something else before I return to the difficult issues during the day.

You know I actually did get my 15 minutes of fame after entering a woodwork exhibit only because they were short exhibiters. My very detailed Model of a Pacific class Steam Locomotive and I were wrote up in the paper. Full centre fold spread of the train. 
I've never been invited back to another exhibit. Not that I have anything else that nice, it took all winter to make. 

I'm surprised I don't have varicose veins. I've spent a lot of time up and down and across steep ground cutting down trees. I have poor circulation and can't walk or stand long. Yet I still manage to garden with the use of my weeding bench to sit on and sticking within my limitations. Am I a candidate for panic or what. My situation did at one time bother me. No more, it was too much waste of time and energy. Life is going to go on with or without me.

My stray cat is still here somewhere, it is eating the food I put out. Fine by me if that is all it wants, I'm easy.

So today if it doesn't rain I weed onions. I still need to mount the fountain on the wall. That isn't where it was but where I want it so I can't just hang it and plug it in. I might have to get long screws from town. Ever notice how every bit of pleasure has some work attached to it somewhere.

Overcast so who knows what sort of day it will be. Definitely not good weather for making hay. Now that was something to cause stress. Glad I don't do that anymore. 
So breakfast and get started.

Davit
I suppose that I could, like your dad, be a model for "Grey's Anatomy of Varicose veined legs".  Everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame.
hugs

I think you worry too much Lol. It is hard to describe my legs. From the knees down I have scars from cuts and edema makes them look like bread dough. Ankles are all puffed up. Knees have scars on them. Upper leg has a scar and bulges from the pins that are still in my femur. I guess I should care but don't. I'm a conversation piece I think. I don't think anyone looks twice. A few have said doesn't that hurt. Well it does I guess. I'm just used to it. I walk funny and look funny, I'm supposed to, I have Arthritis. I do try though to stand straight. War wounds that say, "I have lived through hell". My Dad had varicose veins. Now that looks painful.

Davit.
Someone's helped edge the garden for some tomatoes, and I feel odd.  I wonder why I couldn't do that, and so many other things.  Maybe I needed a break, so I did some errands.

I asked about registering at the local yoga studio, since it could help me in some ways.  I could suspend my gym membership, so I could put the garden in, and meanwhile preserve my muscles without probably overstretching.

My legs look awful though, and the people I saw drift into the studio look so youthful.  How can I focus on meditation if I'm so precoccupied with others' judgements?

I guess I could wear my sweat pants, in the air conditioned studio.

I feel myself second-guessing myself as I anticipate some sort of failure, but I need some human connection outside this solitary life, and hope this pans out.  I suppose if it didn't work out, I could just try something else.
I'm tired but it is a good tired. I'm catching up. Some of my pole beans are coming up. The ground kept getting baked hard and that is not good for them. They look like little hoops as they bend there way out of the ground. I finished weeding the carrots and started on the onions, but it looks like it might rain so I set out more stinky Marigolds to keep the carrot and onion maggot away. I need to sift some wood ashes for the beet maggot later on. Staying organic is hard. The end result is worth it. Like CBT hey. Good practice. A pretty Siamese cat showed up crying this morning so I fed it. I'll keep it if it wants to stay. I'm not allergic so I guess I have room for it. Theodore wants to fight it so he has not been gardening with me. There is a rest stop a half mile away, some times peoples cats get away there. Sometimes people just throw them out. I still have around 40 marigolds to set out tomorrow if it rains. A bit of lawn left to mow too. There was thunder today and the clouds are getting heavy now. Supposed to rain tomorrow according to the forecast. Lawn looks better now that dandelion season has passed. No I don't poison them. Every thing eventually gets in the water. Humming birds are out of food, just one more chore. 

Davit

Reading this thread: