Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Routine finding my way

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone.
I think the lack of routine in my life caused my anxiety too. 
The routine I've started lately is yoga. I try to do this everyday. This is the only thing I expect out of myself(starting very small) for now. I have a planner and I write Y for yoga at the start of the week for everyday and every night, if I accomplished this, I get to cross out the Y. I've also added W for walking but I've been lagging for that. My cat wakes me up every morning to feed him, so he helps me keep my routine too. And I also have chores spread out during the week that I'd accomplish everyday (and I get to cross this out on my planner too) and I let myself get on the computer after I finish these. I used to be very addicted to the computre, but lately it gives me a headache and maybe my routine is helping me but I have days that I don't even go on. I also like to garden too, but I am very very afraid of bugs, especially spiders... that reminds me I better get at it! Spring is in the air (almost!).

14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
Its sounds like you have the makings of a excellent routine and a real plan.  I think I would put the greenhouse at the top of my list or at least make sure your don't let yourself get to tired cleaning the house, maybe just do a little housework everyday. Getting outside in the garden to work or relax every day sounds like a wonderful idea, kind of a reward. I know you love being outside in the garden and greenhouse. As you know I  also enjoy being outside in the garden.  Maybe you can post later tonight or tomorrow and let us know how it went with your new routine today.  My day went pretty good.  I was able to stick to my routine with a few modifications.  I had to have cup of coffee before I could get started so that is now number one on list for a daily routine. I was able to go for my walk. I did some work around the house a project of sorts.I got a new book shelf for dvds last night and my partner put it together this morning. Now I have my other book case for my books so I got my books all together today and organized them on the book shelfs, maybe I can actually read them now. I also organized the dvds today.  I had no anxiety today.  I am a little tired tonight and am running late with dinner, so I've got to sign off for now.  The chicken noodle soup is waiting.  Talk to you later.
Red
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red

I already have a routine but it is an unhealthy one. I intend to replace the unhealthy parts. Mostly I will replace a lot of the computer time. I will get up at 6:00 am and take my pill that has to be on an empty stomach with a cup of plain black tea. I will use this hour for computer time. Then I will have breakfast and the pills that have to be with food. I will now continue my normal morning routine making sure the other two pills that have to be separated from the first and themselves get taken, and some where in here I will have my second and last cup of black tea. I will be outside before noon. Either to work or just sit and enjoy the day. I hour after those pills I will take my Iron. If an hour goes by and I can manage I will take my calcium If not I will have it after lunch which I will have even if I don't want it. Each day I will either go shopping or clean house. I will let the butler check my Email. I will only answer what can't be put off. In the afternoon I will work in my greenhouse if I am not Too tired. After supper and more pill juggling I will do my computer stuff and finally get a snack and take my triciclic and be in bed by 11:00. You can see this is a load and I expect to back slide a bit till I get it set but I will try. Now to send this before I lose it.

Davit.
Davit,

Sounds like a plan to me.  We can do this.  We can support and encourage it other to stick to the plan.  You may not want to stop your antibiotics to soon especially if you plan on having dental work done in the near future. I know what you mean about having to take meds sometimes so that you can get some rest and sleep.  I spent a few years getting 3 to 4 hrs a sleep a night and it really takes a toll on you.  Thats what I have the xanax for to help me sleep after I haven't been getting enough sleep for a week of so.  Take your meds if you need to I would.  Well I got to got to bed soon its about 10pm here and I am trying to stick to the routine the plan that is.   I will look forward to reading your plan when and if you decide to post it. Get a good nights sleep Davit.  I'll try to check into the site tomorrow after my walk and breakfast.

Red
Red

I forgot to mention. This is one of those cases where a chemical is causing the anxiety. For some reason Cloxicillin increases my tendency to panic. And for some unknown reason I get more negative thoughts. I could fight it but I don't think it is worth it. Far much quicker to take a few pills and have it over. Besides I think I can stop the Cloxicillin. The infection seems gone.

Davit.
Red I like your plan and I am going to do something similar and won't be able to waffle since I can't let a girl beat me. No. I really do need a plan because I am becoming stagnant. And sitting around has got me so agitated that I don't sleep and am going to have to do some pills for a few days so that I can. I never need them for long but I find the rest lets me recuperate much faster. Right now I am only getting between 3 and 5 hours sleep, and it is taking its toll.

Davit.
Ashley,
I am just starting to work on a plan. I think the first thing I need to do is start off small and expand it slowly.  I will need to add to it later or I will get bored.  This is my rough draft of routine.  1. When I get up in the morning I need to shower and get dressed while the coffee is brewing and not sit around drinking coffee and smoking. 2. Get in the car and go somewhere to walk everyday or go swimming. 3. Come home and have breakfast. 4. Maybe doing a little sewing or reading. 5.Straighten up the house. 6. run some errands if I need to but don't sit around doing nothing. 7. Make a plan and time for dinner. 8. go to bed no later than 10 p.m.  This is just a start and a work in progress.  I really do think I need some structure and continuity to my life.  It is going to be hard to stick to it and I am going to have to really set my mint to it. I feel like I am just learning how to crawl. It is scary leaving the house but I always feel much better after I do it. I agree with Davit that I also need to spend less time on the computer which is really hard to do when the computer really opens up the world for a agoraphobic but at the same time it also disables one also.  It makes it so much easier to stay locked up in your safe cocoon.  Anyway this is my plan and a work in progress.   I am also thinking of making a outline of my routine and putting it on the Frig.

Red
14 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Routine really would help Red.

If we are just brainstorming right now Red what would a routine in your life look like?

Ashley, Health Educator
Sunny and Red

I never had anxiety while I had a routine. Now that I am retired and there is no routine I have buckets of it. I am trying to build a routine again but it is so hard because almost every thing can be put off. And I have got lazy. I used to bake. Now I run to the store. Breakfast is my only routine any more and only because I need food with the pills. Internet is hard on routine also. Some days I want to throw this thing out but I use it for banking. I opened it an hour ago to pay a bill and still haven't. Summer is coming and Gardening, some routine there.

Davit
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red:  There is truth to what you say.  Routine is a comforting thing.  There have been studies which show that children with a routine at home are more relaxed and able to concentrate at school.  Those children who live in a chaotic household are more hyper, they never know what to expect and have to be ready and alert for anything. I think a routine gives people a relaxing atmosphere because they don't have to guess what comes next - they know the routine.  The routine should be flexible enough to accomadate something which may come up and needs attending to, and not written in cement.  Written in cement would be another anxiety provoking situation (OCD is a good example of that).  Hope this makes sense to you.

My children are grown and married now.  I do volunteer work to give back to the community and this helps give me a sense of worth and forget my problems - fills some time with worthwhile activities but like all things, one has to be careful not to overdo.  You have to learn to say "no" and take on only what you want.  Your photography is beautiful, it would be a lovely hobby and who knows how far you could go with it.
Good luck finding more of what you want for this stage of your life.  It's exciting in a way.

Reading this thread: