Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Recognizing the Types of Anxious Thoughts

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for your feedback. I am glad to be around here with so caring and supporting people. We are moving together to have more and better days.

Sometimes I get lost on the technicalities and I think it is my perfectionism talking, which has a contribution for my anxious feelings.

P.S. It is 4am here right now and I could not sleep, even with some relaxation techniques. This was my worse night since 3 months ago when I started a new medication plan.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bren

Congratulations. 

Your last sentence is probably right but you can still enjoy it when it goes right. Good attitude, good chance it will go right more times than wrong. I still get days I have to fight my negative mind but not too often. Last night was one, but it was not so bad and if not for reading your post I would have just forgot it happened. I think you can do this too.  
Good progress. I hope tonight goes good too since it certainly can.

Davit.

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CONGRATULATIONS Bren!  Way to go, hoping tonight will be good too.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yay!

Congrats Bren

12 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Last night,i struggled to get to sleep as anxiety was trying to move into my mind..but, i told myself..its only anxiety,it will pass,iam alright,and started talking to my mind,and focusing on calming thoughts..i did not get up out of bed,i did not pace the floor,i did not medicate myself,i did not allow myself to do this,,instead..i started deep breathing,and talking to myself,about good things,and beautiful places,relaxing as best i could,and yes..it did fall to sleep,as next thing i know..its morning!!!!!

I do know,that sometimes this may not work,,but iam moving forward!!!!!
Bren

12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eleveno,

Everyone gives great advice. Yes, all 4 types can be present and even more undefined types of anxious thoughts that have not been categorized. Hugs make a great point about not fitting into a cookie cutter.  These definitions and categories are here to help as make sense of the way we think. Try not to get too hung up on the technicalities and get more confused.  The important thing is that you recognize a thought is anxious and you challenge it. From the posts I have read from you thus far it sounds like you are doing a great job. Keep practising and do what works for you.  It will get easier the more you practise.

In the mean time we are here to bounce ideas off of and for you to vent.

~m,

I don't think you used too many words. I actually thought what you wrote was very articulate and full of good points.  I think there may be a negative belief in there you may want to think about challenging .

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent list !!! 
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eleveno:  This is what I learned about anxious thoughts which I'd like to share.  Maybe you'll get an idea.

Negative to Positive Thinking Styles:

from Self criticism to Self Encouragement
from Blowing things out of Proportion to Bringing Things ino Focus - catastrophic thoughts
from Black and White thinking to Clear thinking
from "I should" statements to "I will" statements 
from Self blaming to Self accepting
from Self doubting to Self approval
from "What if" thinking to "So what" thinking
from Mind Reading to Constructive Questioning - jumping to conclusions
from Disbelieving to Believing - some people don't believe good things can happen to them
from Perfectionism to Moderation - some people don't think anything they do or are, is good enough

Your friend, Sunny
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eleveno... I think you are doing a much better job at getting through the lessons than you give yourself credit for.  When the anxiety gets so bad, I certainly am guilty of all types of anxious thoughts   Being aware of what they are and even that they are there is a huge step forward.  After awhile you will be able to question those thoughts.... those perspectives.  Using the 10 questions to check the validity of your "view" kind of shrinks the anxiety. Too many words again.  Sorry.  I'm sure others can explain better.... just wanted to encourage you in your journey.  You are asking great questions and sticking with the homework in an admirable way. 
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eleveno,
Our human imagination isn't going to fit into a cookie cutter, but four classes are easy to remember, and I find I have overlaps.   I think the idea is to get to reframing in a positive and productive way for healthy living.

One can analyze all one wants, but if there's no eventual behavioral changes, who benefits?

Reading this thread: