Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

positive affirmations

14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Also love the quote!

I have used it before as well.  Really helps.

14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sara I love your quote - I'm going to remember it next time I feel nervous about doing something. thanks.
14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sara,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.  Very inspirational and true.

You seem to be a very strong and articulate women.  Glad to have you on the forums!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I'm feeling anxious about going into a feared situation I often say to myself that
'Bravery is not the absence of fear. It's doing things in spite of it.'

It helps me to remember that having PD doesn't make me a coward. We often experience as much fear in a couple of days as some people do in a lifetime. Having a panic attack is a bit like having a brush with death and the fact that we manage to keep the car on the road / pick up the kids / meet a friend or get the dishes out of the way in spite of it proves how strong we really are.  

All the best

Sara
It was a community function - volunteer organization I belong to and I am on the executive ctte.  I had to give history of another club and then introduce their speaker.  I tried to remember that this was not about me, it was about them.  Thanks for asking...
14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny,

Excellent suggestions and strategies! I especially love the quote you have shared. It is amazing how confronting fears can be an incredible opportunity for growth and discovery.

Congrats on a job well done with your speech. What were you presenting on?

Faryal - Health Educator
Good Morning!  when I feel the symptoms starting I just tell myself - "oh, I guess I'm overtired or stressed" because symptoms often start then.  When I tell myself this, I just slow down, take some deep breaths, change my surroundings (use distractions - in a store, read labels on cans, look for a certain size, etc.sometimes you don't even know what you are reading, but it doesn't matter because you are focusing on something else, not the fear) and know that if I take care of myself, I'll be o.k.  Also I use grounding - that is, if I'm grocery shopping and my heart suddenly starts to beat faster, I hold the cart's handle and since I've told myself, this is a safe place holding the handle, I start to relax, and nobody knows!

One affirmation is: "I've been through this before, I was alright".   I find that as soon as you don't fight the symptoms and let them be, they fade faster.

Good quote:  "Our doubts are traitors which make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt".

Ever tried running the coldest water possible on your inside wrists?  When animals have fought, they often go to the river to cool down - this helps the parasympathetic nervous system to slow down.

Last week I had to give a short intro and speech.  I knew I would be alright even though a bit nervous.  I visualized myself giving it before I went to bed the night before - and although it didn't go perfectly - I forgot something I wanted to say - no one knew except me and I congratulated myself afterwards for a job well done!  So don't forget to pat yourself on the back for any little or big success.
14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's a great affirmation Marie!

Positive self-talk is very helpful and almost essential for many who suffer from anxiety in order to regain some sense of control and reality while suffering a panic attack.

Faryal - Health Educator
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
what i usually say to myself is// there is no threat ,fear or danger to my body.and it is ok to relax and calm down.theese feelings will soon pass
14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent question florabee16! Thank you so much for bringing this up
Members, let's hear it! What are some affirmations that you use? What works best for you?
What are some of the thoughts that go through your mind while having panic attacks? Are they positive? What works best for you?
Please feel free to share...it would be much appreciated

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: