Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Fear of Mental Illness

17 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jane I too went through this stage when my anxiety was at it's worst. What you have to remember is that almost everyone with severe mental illness is unaware that they have a condition. Family members and friends usually catch on that something isn't right. Talking with my doctor and phsycologist (sp?) really helped me conquer this fear. Have you been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder?
17 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jane, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a hard time right now. Have you tried any of the program yet? I am on week 4 and although it is a slow and sometimes painful process it is teaching me so much. One of the first things it teaches you is that you are not going crazy. I know it is hard to belive because we all get some pretty crazy things going through our minds but remember it is just the anxiety! Stress does incredible things to your body especially after you have been exposed to it for a long period of time. Many people who are continously stressed hear things time to time it is not uncommon. Look up the symptoms of stress and you'll see they can be applied just as easily as schizophrenia. As anxiety suffers we tend to think the worse all the time but usually the simpilest answer is the right one. I know right now you are really scared but you are going to be okay. Go to your doctor and explain how you feel ( if you are scared bring a friend or loved one along for comfort ). Don't give up you can beat this! :)
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jane, What have you done to combat this? Take a look to the left and go through some of the knowledge provided, it can be of some assistance to you. Have you spoken to your doctor? Take the anxiety and give copy to your doctor. This may help pinpoint certain areas to challenge. By using the program and using your doctor you can access areas that you may need assistance with. A moderators we are unable to prescribe medications or give diagnosis. Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.
17 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also want to mention that I have feelings of depersonalization and derealization often - sometimes I don't recognize myself in the mirror, and I feel detached from photos taken only months ago. I've heard depersonalization can occur in schizophrenia as well as anxiety, and this makes me very concerned. Can depersonalization occur in anxiety between attacks, just on its own?
17 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi to anyone who bothers to read this. I'm struggling right now through the most anxiety-ridden point in my life. The anxiety is driven by my incredible fear of becoming schizophrenic. It's so hard to be a hypochondriac and panic-sufferer, because I end up over-thinking every little symptom, emotion, etc. Stupidly, I did a little Internet research about schizophrenia, and now I'm incredibly afraid that I suffer from it. I have many symptoms of depression, but these match the 'negative' symptoms of schizophrenia. I have also 'heard voices' twice, once as I was falling asleep, and once very late at night while I was on the computer. I've been told by family and friends that these are normal, that everybody 'hears voices' from time to time. At the time, both of these instances seemed very harmless, but then of course the hypochondria-me set in...and I've been a nervous wreck for weeks on end. My family and friends think I have nothing to worry about, but I keep worrying about how nobody would recognize the early signs of schizophrenia in me anyway, and that one day I might just lose control. I'm wondering, can hypochondria extend to include fear of mental illness as well as physical, and does it sound like I'm terrified of nothing? P.S. Does anyone know how severe anxiety can effect sense of smell and taste? I seem to have lost both of those and just blamed it on stress. I read about a relationship between impaired sense of smell and schizophrenia, which worries me. Does anyone know for sure?

Reading this thread: