Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Panic sore throat

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Spring is her, time to work in the green houses. Every day counts starting seeds to put out later.

Davit
10 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,

No need to delete. Just because you have a different oppinion doesn't mean you will be sensored

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley

Good, I figured you would say that. And you are right, the only difference I see is in who is doing it. The process is similar though isn't it. Repetition till it sticks would be it at it's simplest and you must agree that repetition till it sticks can be either negative or positive. Negative it causes panic attacks, positive it causes relief.
If you have a trigger that happens consistently with some action or time it is repetitive. If you counter it with a positive each time, it is repetitive. My friend who is coming has some very strong views on brain washing and who is subtly doing it. But then she has worked with people who have actually been subjected to it. In that case it would certainly not be CBT. So I should have added "that you do on your own" to distinguish the difference.

Of course this is still a forum and still only my opinion even though I know it works and why and how, but that again is only my personal experience.

Davit.

Feel free to delete that post. I would not want to give anyone the wrong impression. I certainly do not condone brain washing in it's usual form. 

10 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Wilke,

Sorry to hear about the anxiety you have been experiencing.

The program can help you overcome this fear. Have you  had a chance to get started  yet? Any questions?

Davit, I would  have to argue that CBT is not brain washing. Brain washing is when your mind is changed against your will from an outside source. In CBT you get to chose  how  to change your mind and you have the control of what thoughts you want to  focus on.

Ashley, Health Educator
It would be nice to think we are the way we are because we have the right genes. The truth is they have little effect on our mental status. They have an effect on tendencies, such as a tendency toward Cancer or Diabetes or Panic Attacks, but in no way can they cause or prevent them. Panic has no borders it hits all groups no matter age, sex or standing. But and here is the but. Core beliefs are the major contributing fact. What we believe. We start building these from the moment we can register our surroundings. We spend the rest of our life modifying them, for better or worse. Sometimes we discover something we believed is not so, and it is a shock but we change how we believe. Some times we keep going back to this belief and questioning it but worse is when we believe something important that is not true even though we know. And the worst of course is when we believe something that isn't true and don't know it. It starts out as a thought and if it is important for short term future use it becomes a core thought. If it is important enough to dictate how we act or believe then it becomes a core belief. Brain washing or to be more polite CBT. If as a child you are given the impression you are stupid or ugly or built funny it can become a core belief if there is no reason not to believe otherwise. Some core beliefs are true. I'm short, true, but compared to who and is it important. Ah! Importance now that will spawn another core belief. Comparison will spawn another. We have tons of these beliefs controlling our lives. They are hard to change and if panic attacks build one then it is even harder because panic is attached to survival and therefore important to hang on to. Bummer but that is just how it is.
In extreme cases medication is used to stop the panic so it can't be built into a core belief, unfortunately with out some brain washing to go with it, it will come back when the medication is stopped. Very frustrating to Therapists whose patients just want to take the pills and be happy. Pills are cheaper than therapy even if like where I live it is free. It still costs time. Sorry, clients, patients means you are sick and you are not you have a disorder, a condition built on past experience.
What ever you choose to call it, (I have some choice names for it) it is curable.

Davit
CBT is brain washing.

Nothing in memory can be removed, it can only be covered up. CBT is the process of changing thought patterns so that all though you won't quit looking at what you don't want to and that although you do it will have no importance. And this brain washing technique is to cut a new path in memory to a different thought so that when you get the trigger you will associate it with something else. EG: The thought that the pain passes without any damage. Rather than fight going there you change what is there so it loses importance. Fighting it leaves only the old unwanted memory to use. Accepting it and giving it no importance makes it of no relevance and therefore no need to go there. See how when dealing with the mind that word relevance keeps cropping up. So CBT or brain washing is repeating what you want so it has relevance. Any thing repeated often enough becomes relevant and considered true. This is how panic works and the flip side of the coin is that it is also how CBT works to prevent panic. It is all about positive thought. Positive brain washing.

Davit.

Ps, you can't start over, you can not remove memory, you can only bury it. And in so doing it appear as if you have removed it but in fact you have only lost it. If you look hard enough you can find it unless it triggers "don't go there" thoughts. As it does in trauma.
10 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I am not quite sure how I can explain this but I will give it a go,most of the time when I think about my throat I don't panic,its only when I feel the pain sensation in one certain position and it is more painful and uncomfortable I have a wave of panic,now when this particular sensation has gone on that position,i then keep feeling for it over and over again as though it is coming back this habit is very fearful with apprehension my mind I cannot get it to let go,i also have a deep fear when it hurts in this position,maybe I could do with brain washing,and start again.regards Martin.
Hi.
I was taught by a very good Therapist that every thing I think and do is influenced by memory and everything in memory is there because of what I think and do. There are a few influences like mood and personality but basically it amounts to you can't use it if it isn't in memory. How to change a tire is in memory, what your throat felt like is in memory as is what an attack feels like when it is starting. Fortunately memory is like stacks of information sheets. It wants you to use what is on top first. CBT is the process of keeping positive thoughts on top of the stacks. A non thinking animal has to work at using anything that is not at the top of the pile. This is why we can work them. They live by habit. We on the other hand can think which is the process of sifting information for the most relevant. Relevant, not right. Trial tells us if it is right. And if it is wrong we try again. and we do this at incredible speed. The more intelligent the faster and more information we can sift unconsciously looking for what is relevant. Mood and personality are two of the things that dictate relevance. Another factor is surroundings. This is a survival skill. It can work two ways as you noticed. While changing the tire survival mode kicks in and there is no time for anything but changing it and not getting run over. (a form of killed) Once it is over you are free to go back to other thoughts. Any time you question any thing your memory will try to supply an answer. Again, a relevant answer. And if it can't find an answer it will look in an associated memory stack. So a trigger can be not even related as long as it is close. Again, the more intelligent you are, the more capable you are of sifting this information.
So you see, your surroundings are only the triggers, you supply the answer. The vast majority of this you do subconsciously. CBT is the process of changing thought patterns so what is most relevant in memory, in this case at the top of the stack, is what you want. There are a large number of influencing factors that dictate how well you can do this which is why I say " this is the hardest simple thing you will ever do" Do it right and it becomes sub conscious habit and you will never have to consciously do it except in cases of extreme trauma and you may never have another panic attack again. The average in those considered cured is a couple of mild ones a year just as a reminder to keep thinking positive.

I've been free for a long time. Only because when anxiety pops up I have the knowledge to deal with it.

Davit
10 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I have noticed one day last week I had a puncture on my car I started to panic a bit but my throat it seemed to disappear while I was changing the wheel and a good thirty minutes aftr that then I just resumed my thoughts back to the throat and you guessed it was back again.regards Martin
Martin

Do you realize that if you can imagine you have a problem with your throat that you can also imagine that you don't. It is a little harder to do because positive thoughts are short lived and need reinforcing where as survival skills are all negative and tend to come up more often and need to be countered with positives more often. This is how CBT works. The nice thing about CBT is that it doesn't leave a drugged feeling and rebound is easier to counter.

Davit

Reading this thread: