Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

so exhausted an unmotivated

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JD,
There is a series of articles in the January-Feb 2012 Harvard Business review with a surprising researched fact on their theme of "happiness".
It appears that a focused mind is better than a wandering mind.  I think there are schools of thought, that suggest that the "freedom" to daydream is helpful, but not according to the this body of work.

That means to me, that I'm going to watch how I manage my thoughts.  We all do in CBT-land, anyway.

It's on the second to last page of 17, but it's a short read because of charts and font and pictures.

My wandering mind forgot how to set the paper in so the pages ended up upside down on one side enjoy
12 years ago 0 66 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley or whomever it out there right now,

I have made an appointment to start seeing a therapist I saw in the past again.  She does mainly CBT work.  So I'm hoping that will help me along.  I have been talking to someone long distance once or twice a week for the last few months, and this has helped me to keep pushing through.  I guess what else may help me would be to be more positive and easier on myself.  Although I think I have been easy on myself lately.  Its hard to be positive when my mind is so negative.  I know eating well and exercising regularly helps and that is somethings everyone must do.  I think over the next few weeks I'm gonna make a few goals for myself and really try to stick to them.  For instance Ive been doing this project at work for awhile and I have no real set deadlines.  Ive been allowed to work from home somedays to do it and have not been getting much done.  Im gonna try to put in a few good hours this afternoon.

Doesn't help that its been pouring rain for many days now....

JD

12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Justducky,

I am sorry you are feeling this way. Do you have a counselor or someone you could talk to in person? It sounds like you could really benefit from some one on one time with a supportive professional.

If you think that is not right for you right now, what do you think could help?

Ashley, Health Educator
JD,
It takes time as you tweak your routines to get benefits.  At the hospital, haven't they wellness programmes, which you can join, or any support groups?  If they don't why not suggest some kinds, since there must be others feeling the same way.  I've notice that hospitals often post these groups for all people, including outside people, but they are filled up by the time I see them, as I visit them more often.

There are many people dealing with helping others who need balance, who could use the group.  Even if you didn't join right away, you could take your time and let it grow.

If you feel uncomfortable suggesting it, do it anonymously, since all organizations wish to retain and nourish their employees

Hi,

Yes I tried doing that today... went for a walk, got a tea.  My mind just felt stuck.  Its hard to figure out if its that I don't like my job anymore or is it the anxiety/depression that does not allow me to like my job ??  I got really upset at the end of the day because I work in a hospital and there are alot of people in with mental health issues, etc, and alcohol problems.  I get scared that that I may get worse.  I'm single, and single people have higher rates of depression and anxiety... don't they?  I wish I could just distract myself from these scary thoughts.  I just want to feel like myself again... whatever that it.  I guess just not feel lost and scared.

JD
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi JD, 

Have you taken breaks, do some deep breathing or take a couple minutes to walk around the office, step outside for fresh air, anything to 'reset' your mind to help you focus better?

Vincenza, Health Educator
Hey everyone,

This week is a little better than last, but not by much.  I'm sitting at work trying to read articles and sort of write a paper and I'm not retaining much.  I'm having trouble focusing and organinzing thoughts.  I use to have some interest in this project, but because of these frustrations, I'm losing alot of interest.  Feeling hopeless today.

help,
JD
12 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have felt the same way with moving and having to still attend to my daily routine of school and work. If my schedule gets re-arranged at all or something is added in I feel great anxiety because it is not what I am used to. I also have had difficulty sleeping because my brain sometimes will just not turn off. I have also found it helpful to turn on ocean/nature music to help soothe my mood and I try to think about being on the beach just listening to the waves. Even though I may not be sleeping I have converted my mind to relaxing instead of anxiety, and sometimes I even find myself falling asleep. It is just one of those things that I look forward to at the end of the day.
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Justducky,

I am sorry you are feeling this way, it sounds like a very frustrating and tiring situation.

You mention that you have recently moved. Moving is a very stressful situation and yes, you are right, it probably has triggered the anxiety. Not only that, you also went on a trip; travel can be stressful as well (believe it or not).  Compound that with work anxiety and putting pressure on yourself to feel fine and I can completely understand why you are feeling exhausted. Be gentle with yourself, you have just pushed yourself a lot. This is a good thing to push yourself but be gentle with yourself when your body doesn't bounce back as quickly as you hoped. Expect to feel a little down. It is ok not to feel your best now, do what you have to in order to self nurture. Try to enjoy the dinner if you can, if you can't that is ok too. Explain to your guest what is going on with you. 

This will pass, just give yourself time and try to relax as much as possible.

Ashley, Health Educator
JD,
I wish I could answer you more promptly, since I've been there, and I needed to have someone listen too.  I was out yesterday, and had a rough day, during a rough couple of months

Even though I'm getting things done out externally, I'm sad and going through  a lot of change. 

Right now, I've been trying to write to people, but feel this paralyzing feeling that you have.  The small movement you can have, is enough than you can handle, and you'll be fine

Notice that you do have plans, and it sounds like you'll act on them, so go easy on yourself.  Sometimes our resources just slow down and that's all you can handle

Reading this thread: