Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,563 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Frustrated

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To build on Davit's suggestion of the value of some anxiety, many public speaker and performers will say they need some nervousness on stage or their field of play

Hence the saying "anxiety is anticipation holding its breath"
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wrestler.

Something came to my mind last night.

Are you trying to be totally anxiety and panic free 24/7. Is this why the sleep aids and the valium? It is wrong and in the long run will turn your mind to mush.

CBT is about controlling anxiety so it has no effect not blocking it so it can come back. A certain amount of anxiety and panic is normal in everyone's life except the totally brain dead. Panic attacks are not normal. CBT takes the attack out of the panic attack and leaves the panic, a normal reaction that comes and goes as the situation warrants. It is a survival technique that belongs there to protect us. It is when it won't shut down that it is a problem. And they don't happen out of the blue. There is always a reason and often it is because last time we did something there was panic or anxiety. 

This is why exposure. It is to take the attack out of the panic attack and leave mild concern instead. When a person learns how to do this then the deadening effects of the medication are no longer necessary. Medication is an adjunct to CBT allowing it to work by keeping your mind from running to the negative while you build positive. (shopping bag remember) Medication should be at a dose that keeps your fingers just out of reach of the negative so you live in a world with all the emotions needed in it. It should not deaden out everything. (depersonalization) You should still be able to live it not be on the sidelines watching it go by. Medication can do this and this is when you are developing a dependency.

If done right exposure works to take the excess anxiety out of normal situations and stop it from becoming panic and from panic to panic attack. It is the panic that causes the pain, not the panic. How to tell the difference. Panic is something you can laugh at. Attacks are too confusing and painful to laugh at. 

There is no way out. Some form of CBT is necessary to do this, nothing else works.
OCD is a repeating of something over and over. A lot more negative to bury. So it won't be easy but can a person use the OCD to repeat something positive. Can a person use it to tell themselves that a situation is okay over and over so that it is. I don't know. I have no personal experience with this. Any OCD I might have had was very mild.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yea, I know what you mean.  One wants to do it in a healthy way, not because of stress related issues.  Hope all is o.k.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I lost 4 inches and 5 pounds over the last month while I struggled with a few issues.

I think I'll see a dietician for help to lose weight in a more healthy manner, since my loss wasn't intentional, and it's caused some concern since I don't have a sense of control.
Hi Wrestler:  thanks for your answer.  lose weight eh?  mmmmm' will look into it. lol
Actually I am starting the gym again tomorrow.  Can't wait.  I've really enjoyed it before and know I will again.  I went down two sizes in a yr.  I do a cardio and weight program, finish with more cardio.  Sooooo looking forward to doing crunches again. lol

Sunny
Wrestler.

I asked about the valium for two reasons. First is called placebo effect. If you said it worked right away instead of the 15 or more minutes it normally takes I would suspect this. It actually does work in some people with mild anxiety purely as a distraction. The other reason was that since it works fast enough you could hold off in situations where your safe person (wife) is with you. Like shopping. You could go to the car, wait till it kicks in and go back. Might not work with OCD but with Agoraphobia making it your decision to do something works. The first few times I did this I got Disorientated but it passed. After a few times that feeling only happened if I looked for it.
Valium is one of the safer Benzos but it still has that nagging "use me" effect. Not chemical addiction but dependence because it works. 

Gaba actually makes me sick. Could be because it works on something that doesn't need fixing. Same with SSRIs, they make me sick. 

Tryptophan just makes me sleep so I don't know if it would work on anxiety if I needed to stay awake.

Magnesium can affect Blood pressure, giving you that spacy feeling much like anxiety. Is your BP already low. If it is, stopping breathing for even a few seconds can induce panic.

Glad you are not using excess magnesium, it can cause bowel dependence. Two raw apples will work better. Apple pectin is a good fibre cleanser. Also an appetite suppressant if eaten before meals. (one)

I used to cut my 5mg Valium in half but now I have them in 2mg. 

I can't do yoga but I can do self hypnosis. 

I'm curious. Do you count. I'm a counter. I count when I do things. It is a distraction and mind occupier. Some times it is enough to keep the anxiety away.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny,

The cleanse is mostly magnesium and aloe in a capsule. For a while earlier in the year I was using it often. I then lost ten pounds over that time and have kept it off. Now if I feel a little backed up, I take it. It's called cleanse more.

Davit,

Do you find that L-Tryptophan works better than 5 HTP? I started taking 5HTP when L-Ttryptophan was off the market because of the FDA. My parents owned a health food store at the time, and my father helped me work into the 5HTP.
Now Tryptophan is back on store shelves. God I wish my Dad were still here to discuss this with. He was a vitamin and herb encyclopedia. The man soaked information like a sponge.

The gaba really helps calm me.

Valium starts working about 20-30 minutes after I take it. I take the 5mg dose, but often cut them in half when I only feel I need a little less. The 5 mg is for when I am having a lot of OCD/anxiety.

I recently got to where I was needing the full 2 doses a day because of the OCD and panic. I think the gaba may help me reduce to where I was before all this panic started months ago. I was only taking gaba at bedtime with the 5 HTP.

Did you know that yoga can have the same effect on the body that gaba has?

Hi Wrestler:  I don't know too much about the things you are taking...however, it seems odd to me why you would need a colon cleanse every two wks.  The body does a marvelous job taking care of itself, healing itself.  Why do you need so much extra help?  I don't mean to offend, just wondering about the extras.
Sunny
Wrestler

How long does valium take to work for you?

Davit. 

PS Gabba and 5HTP never did work for me. Nor did St Johns Wort.  Valium does as does Tryptophan. 
12 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I tried the gaba during the day today, 500 mg, and it really helped. I usually only take it at night. This could be a good thing for work days. I did need to take 1/2 and then another 1/2 of valium, because I cannot just stop cold. Not a good idea. But I want to get to my lower range of usage of valium.

I used to take "gaba plus" by twinlab, but the niacin in it made me flush all the time. Now I take gaba and inositol together. Inositol has been tested for ocd. Large amounts were used in the test, but I have found that a little can work.

I can save the 5 htp for bedtime. I may need to adjust this more, but it was good to test it on a saturday.

I did have a moment of an anxiety attack on the Interstate today when we were driving to Whole Foods. It lasted a second, and I thought my whole day was ruined. After that was when I took the second 1/2 of valium before we went into the store. Driving is a strange thing. My therapist once told me that you can sometimes feel disconnected while driving because it is not really natural to our systems.

My day was really nice all together. Spent it with my wife, and I also did 25 minutes of yoga this morning and then 45 minutes just over an hour ago and then did a chest workout for about half an hour.

Time for dinner,

David

Reading this thread: