Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

SAD Part 2

13 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny, thanks. Yoga has been great these past 2 weeks. Just finished doing a short routine tonight. Was going to take the night off from everything, but decided a little was OK.
Tiana, Bring on the Sring :-)

David
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wrestler:  I think yoga would be good too.  Glad your bloodwork came back o.k.  Have fun with the new kittens. 

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to hear you are mixing up your routine and doing well medically! Hope you are doing ok this week back at work. Keep up with the program and hyour awareness... spring will be here before you know it!

Tiana, Health Educator
Well, for one, I have completely changed my workout routine. I mixed in yoga over the past 2 weeks and it has brought me great results. I have Rodney Yee DVD's that my wife purchased a while back. I do that  and then weights and then cardio and ab work. My workout needed a change as all I was really doing was heavy weight lifting. While that can be fun and a great buzz, I needed something for relaxation. There is nothing more relaxing to the mind and body than doing 30 minutes on the bike or nearly an hour of yoga.

I also got my blood work back today and nothing is wrong with me. LOL (I always think there's something wrong with me) Cholesterol and metabolic profile checked out great. Though I do have a little lipoma fatty deposits around my waist, which for as fit as I am, are a bit annoying. They are benign and can be removed. I hate it because they seem to butt against the cartilage and my ribs. OK, enough of that.

The kittens are so much fun. My wife is still dearly heart broken over losing our cat Pinky, who was 19. The tears come often and I do what I can to console her. She was my wife's baby.

Thanks for much foe responding.
David
Hi Wrestler:  I'm so glad to read you've already adopted two kittens!  Good for you, happy news. 
I don't have SAD so can't comment.  At least you know what it is and are dealing with it though I'm sure it can be challenging.  When you feel this disassociation, have you tried the relaxation techniques?  I'm thinking vigorous exercise is very good, but just wondering if a calming one might be good for this instead.  I was wondering about the box breathing, getting grounded, and maybe a muscle relaxation.  I don't really know, just wondering.

Your friend, Sunny
Thanks all for the nice thoughts.
I guess I did not include that we did rescue 2 kittens on Monday. They are very cute. They are sisters and their names are Piper and Ginger.

My day was pretty good. I did not sit around worrying about things. Instead, I worked out while worrying about things. LOL I did nearly an hour of yoga and then abs and shoulders.

My anxiety level is high and that causes my depression to kick in. I am still having a bit of dissociation. What's happening is SAD has combined with my fear of going back to work tomorrow. I KNOW that things will work out, but it does not make me feel any better right now. I am trying my best to stay positive.

The one question I have, and maybe some of you have had this question as well, is why does it feel to some of us that everytime I/we experience depression or anxiety or derealization/dissociation, it feels like it was the worst we ever had it and getting better will take a long time. I mean, right now I feel very anxious and depressed, but I know I have felt this way before, but in the past when I have felt similar symptoms, I ended up feeling a lot better in a couple of days.

I did take 1/2 of a diazepam about an hour ago and it feels like it helped. I know what has helped in the past was to take nearly the amount prescribed (two 5mg tablets daily). I usually can get through a week only taking about 1/4 of what is recommended as needed.

Bring on the Spring. That's when SAD usually dissipates.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wrestler

Like sunny I too have a special place for my pets. We do become very attached to our pets and it is okay to feel sorrow at there loss. Some where out there is a pet that needs you as much as you need it. One of my cats is 16, one is 6 and they are such a comfort. I don't think I could be without them, something to do with my need to care.

Here for you,
Davit.
Hi Wrestler:  I am sorry to hear of your loss of your beloved pet.  I understand.  In my back garden I have a small circle of roses with a birdbath in the middle.  I have buried there my 18 yr. old dog and another younger one, but who was not well.  Also a pet ferret.  Everytime I see their roses grow, it's like a hello from them.

After my second dog died - I had the two dogs together, one died 6 months after the first, I went to the SPCA and got another dog which needed a home.  She was homely, no fur half way down her back and legs, tail too.  She is beautiful today, see my pic.  She had been thrown out of her home and living on the streets.  We both needed some loving. I'm not suggesting you go and get a new cat to take the place of your dear pet.  No other cat will do that nor would you want it to nor expect it to, but you can give a good home to one who needs a home and let the affection grow.  You both sound like a very loving couple who are good to animals.  Good luck.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello wrestler,

Thank you for the update, we are always here to listen and support you. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your pet, do take a look at the program sessions on grief and loss.

Continue pushing forward, working on the program and reaching out to us here in this community.

Samantha, Health Educator
This is in addition to my SAD post in November. I figured I would start a new thread.

I think SAD is getting worse. Other than my worries last week about my kidneys or whatever health problem I imagined that I had, the depression part of SAD is affecting me right now. I am trying really hard to stick my thumb in it's eye, but it's been really hard today.

I know it has to do with less sunlight and colder temperatures, but I thought this year would be different. Then we had to put our 19 year old cat to sleep 8 days ago and then I had the emergency room visit. This, I am sure, added to my depression.

The symptoms I have are a closed in feeling, memory lapses like forgetting something I just thought of (within seconds), dissociation and anxiety. The closed in depression/memory feeling seems to be the strongest.

I also know that I have been off work 9 of the last 10 days, and even though it was a vacation, it does give me more time to worry when I would really be working and keeping my mind busy. It's not like I have been sitting around doing nothing, but with more free time comes more thinking. This is other than the two serious things my wife and I have been through these past 2 weeks. It is most upsetting for my wife because she had the cat since 1991. With me a lot of the sadness was for my wife because her heart has been broken due to the loss.

I know these things can weigh on us a lot in different ways. But for those of us who already have a depression/anxiety disorder, it just gets added to what we already have.

I have made some changes to my workouts. I have been working on my abs (core) to strengthen everything. I also did a ton of cardio yesterday and also have been doing yoga again and getting better at it again. Tonight I am going to do my relaxation program that I listen to with earphones. It's Doctor Emmett Miller's Relaxation & Inspiration. I have not done the program in a very long time and am looking forward to it.

Thanks for listening, everyone, and Happy New Year,
David

Reading this thread: