Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

SAD has returned

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tiana

I agree that we should be able to get all the necessary vitamins we need from food, But there are times when we don't and certain people that don't. Some medications can deplete vitamins and minerals. Some diseases don't allow adequate absorption. And then there is diet. Anxiety can cause a person to eat convenience food or the wrong food due to the fact A person just does not or can not prepare it.

I agree too that you should talk to your doctor first. There are blood tests that can sometimes indicate deficiencies. Or your Doctor may recognize the symptoms.

Davit.

13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I did B12 shots for my anemia and it definitely gave me more energy. My physician gave the shots to me.
I've also taken specific B vitamins for anxiety/stress and it worked when I found the correct dosage. it wasn't some bottle sitting on a shelf that had lost its potency, even if the date said otherwise, I special ordered it after researching it. But that's just me, I have a high tolerence.  it did not help the panic attacks. But I was in a state of fear/panic through out the day and worse at night.

I used to drink one of the shakes gold's gym made and I felt great afterwards. I bought all the same items and made it every AM. I felt really alive. I could feel the oxygen in my body and it was as if my blood stream felt very alive.
I am just about off all meat and poultry, fish, etc.  I would (and will start again) have a shake of spiralina (again, fresh Hawaiian) not from a bottle and my brain and body felt clear. and, of course, fresh salads, etc.  In planting seasons, only fresh. And of course, no alcohol or recreational drugs.
I found it just wasn't enough to just have vitamins, but to take total care.  I certainly feel the difference when I don't, sluggish, brain dead, etxc. BUT that's just me, and I've rambled on, sorry.
Looking forward to get past thanksgiving to get back on track.
13 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, good point :) I did discuss it with my doctor first, and he said it wouldnt hurt to try because I would naturally get rid of the excess if I was getting too much from my diet and the vitamin complex. I then went to see a pharmacist to recommend a good choice.
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Tiana for the info about B vitamins!

Teebs
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,

Just a quick note about the B vitamins. B complex is different from but usually does include B12. B12 is one of the necessary vitimins for the body. It is water soluble, which means it won't be stored in your body like the fat-soluble ones, and which means if you take more than your body needs, you will 'pee it out' as the saying goes! It is found in the types of foods that we think of typically as protien: meat, fish and dairy products. You can get B12 shots or supplements if for some reason your body doesn't metabolize it from your diet, or if you are vegan.

Please consult with your family doctor or pharmacist before starting any supplements. Most people can get the recommended daily requirements of vitamins and minerals from following a healthy and balanced diet.

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello !!!
Two things,

1) Davit, I was taking a B-vitamin complex for a couple weeks...I'm not sure how much of a difference I noticed because I stopped it too soon, but I have heard wonderful things about it, and really I should start taking it again!!

2) Wrestler, I too am overly paranoid of having cancer. I'm not sure if you are overly paranoid like me, but for me, thats my hugest fear. I would say that having something seriously wrong with me is the negative core belief that has got me to this state. Sometimes, I am able to block it out of my mind for a couple days, or a week...but then it comes back. These last 3 days I have done nothing but stress about it and I'm experiencing a huge set-back in my otherwise positive recovery. I've had blood tests, I've told dr's all my physical symptoms, but nothing ever shows up and the drs never ever seem concerned that its anything other than anxiety. Which is a tough pill to swallow when you are feeling so many physical symptoms you think there is no way its only anxiety. Like I said, I am usually able to get past this, but right now I am at a low point where I can't get this out of my head. I recently started seeing a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist who has pin pointed this, and at our next session (tomorrow) we are going to go over coping strategies he said. I will let you know what he says. I hope it provides some relief for me, and I will pass it on in hopes of helping you. But I feel your pain, I really really do. Lets beat this together! Everyone!!!!!!!
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wrestler,

Glad to hear you had a better day. Exercise is an important part to recovering. When we exercise,  our brain releases chemicals called endorphins. Endorphins make us feel good all over, and they are naturally released when we get sunlight. So with the lack of sunlight in the winter, exercising becomes that much more important. So keep it up, and you'll definetly feel the benefits.

As Teebs mention, try the challenge worksheets. In section one, you will find Anxious thoughts form and in section 2, an advanced anxious thought form. When you do have a flare up of anxiety, don't avoid the negative thought. Write it down and challenge it. This will help to reverse, and break down these negative thinking patterns.

What are some of the fears you have about getting a blood test?

Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wrestler.

Just curious, do you take vitamin supplements. I keep reading that vitamin B12 is necessary for the maintenance of red blood cells that carry O2. It is also at higher doses supposed to help with anxiety. Just wondering if you or any one is doing this.

Here for you,
Davit 
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wrestler:  I used to worry about heart disease as that is prevelant in my family, the high blood pressure and strokes.  Anything I read about it would scare me, so I stopped reading articiles about it.  However, I must add that for me, finding out if there is something wrong early rather than late is better.  Same with cancer, the earlier the better.  Many people have been cured when caught early.  That's a positive.  Can you try and think of it in that way, even briefly?  Informing yourself of your good health will make you feel that much better.  I know when I get good reports over BP etc. I feel much more confident about my health and that I am doing the right things to help myself.
Just suggestions,

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wrestler,

I'm glad you did better today. Sometimes medications can be important tools. I'm reluctant to use them sometimes myself, but if it starts you on a track of better days its worth it.

The negative thinking patterns can be hard to break (I know all about that!), but try the challenge worksheets. Also, I've found that if I repeat positive thoughts to myself, even if I don't believe them, eventually I start believing in them (and myself) a little bit more.

Keep us posted,
Teebs

Reading this thread: