Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,785 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Hello everyone

9 years ago 0 11223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Heather,

Great observation and question. You are talking about two different CBT treatments for depression. When you gradually expose yourself to whatever you fear this is called systematic desensitization. This type of CBT has the most research base and is considered to be a bit more effective then flooding. Flooding is when you quickly expose yourself to whatever you fear and then practice relaxation techniques to calm down. Flooding works more quickly then systematic desensitization. In my opinion I prefer to use systematic desensitization as I think some people could be a bit traumatized with the flooding technique. But if you find flooding more helpful then go with what works for you. No one treatment is best for all people - part of recovery is figuring out which therapies work for you and which don't. It's great to hear that you are finding flooding to work. That's exciting stuff - you should expect to see real improvements soon.  Keep us updated on how you are doing.
Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Ashley,

I haven't really used Cbt before but it seems to be working quite well for me.  I actually do have a question.  In a book I've read on anxiety/phobias, it says to not push yourself too far during exposure therapy and to try NOT to have a panic attack.  In another book on panic attacks, it says to put yourself in panic inducing situations and just float through the panic symptoms.  These 2 books seem to contradict each other but the 2nd one helps me more.  What are your thoughts on this?  I look forward to your reply.
Have a beautiful day,
Heather
9 years ago 0 11223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

Great job on all the hard work you have already put into this. Have you worked on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy before? If so, what was your experience?

How far along in the program are you now? Any questions so far?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi!
Just wanted to introduce myself to the group.  I look forward to sharing my successes and celebrating in the successes of others.  I've been on this difficult journey for about 5 years.  At one point, I was completely housebound for about 7 months.  Through therapy and working with a naturopathic doctor, I was able to get to about a 50% level of recovery.  I just recently had some digestive issues and the panic has kicked up again quite strongly.  I'm very motivated to regain my freedom and I would like to help others as well.  

Have a beautiful day.
Heather

Reading this thread: