Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,512 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Great Site

13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

I just read through the "understanding grief and loss" pages today and it described someone i know with depression pretty accurately. it may or may not resonate with you but it is worth reading through in case it does help. 

13 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome James! 

You are helping already with sharing your experience.  I felt a lot better after Session 1.  It seems you are pretty aware of what your triggers are.  Once I learned and practiced the coping skills, I stopped fearing panic, because I had the tools to deal with it.  We're all glad you are here.  Keep us posted!  Your friend, Shari
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi James,

I like Sunny have just read your post as well.  Sorry for the late welcome!  

You have certainly come to the right place! Davit a wise and veteran member of the program has offered you great advice, stick with the program and you will see results.  I would refer you to a specific session but it sounds like starting from the program and working through it slowly and carefully is a good idea.  Also, post often in the forums.  I am amazed by our wonderful members everyday and I think we are all lucky to have eachother.  Teebs and Sunny have been members of the site for quite some time who always offer great advice and support.  Jas or peaceforall a newer member has already shown to be a great contributer to the site.  I am sure you will become good friends with all of us

You mentioned that you are concerned abotu depression.  Check out our sister with the Depression Center for more help: www.depressioncenter.net.  Like the Panic Center the Depression Center has helped many members.

It would be great to hear how you are doing and about your progress on the program.  If you stuck let us know, we are here to help!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi James and a very warm welcome 

I am fairly new too but have benefited well from the program and our loving community in relatively short period of time.

I get where you are coming from with the depression bit, as it has occassionally happened to me over the years. You get sick and fed up with constant panic that it turns into mild depression. Well it does for me sometimes.

Well done for starting the program and keep at it because it works! Keep reading the posts and adding, the community listening and offering their kind words has helped me loads.

This is such a beautiful place where we can help each other to reach our goals.

What is normal? I do not think anybody can answer that question!

On a personal note I do not think anybody is not normal to a certain extent. We all lead individual lives and make individual decisions, follow our own personal destiny if you will. On this journey everyone will encounter obstacles and hurdles all infinitely different and all of us are constantly searching for eternal happiness and contentment. Granted this comes easier to some than others. Sorry, my point being, I think you are perfectly normal and just facing one of lifes many many obstacles, which I am confident you will stride over preparing to face the next challenge.

Stick to the progarm and keep reading the posts. Lots of positive energy here, the community is awesome!
We are all here for each other and together we can strive forward together.

Wish you peace Brother and I know you will find that spot where you want to be.

Your new friend, Jas
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi James - Welcome to the site! I just read this thread since Sunny recently posted, and I was wondering how you were doing with the program? In addition to other things I also get really anxious about flying, and I'm starting to plan how I will prepare for a flight around the holidays this year. I have mostly been working on my agoraphobia and anticipatory anxiety so far, but I'd love to hear about how the program has helped you work on your fear of flying!
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome James:  I just read this post, sorry I'm late in welcoming you here.  The CBT program is the best for anxiety/stress related disorder.  We are here for you so post and ask questions any time.  Reading past posts helped me a lot too.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
James

Welcome. None of those cliché's have to happen here unless you want them to. If you have been reading you will have noticed it is basically a matter of replacing negative with positive. How you do it is unique to each person. The program works. But there are a lot of little steps to replacing negative with positive and this is where the program comes in and why it is really necessary to follow it close and not skip ahead. Avoidance is fine for right now but better yet would be building coping and relaxing skills so you don't have to. There are people here just like you who suffer from "what if" a kind of agoraphobia. Very common and very treatable. For now remember, The past is in the past and can't be changed only learned from, the future we know not so no sense worrying about, Neither count only the present do we have any say in so live for the moment and forget the other two. This is a borrowed quote and I think it is a very good one. Now if I could just remember who I borrowed it from. Can you focus on the fact you survived flights (positive) rather than that you dread them. (Negative). On the subject of meds, some times they are necessary for a short period of time to help bury the negative and reinforce the positive. To clear the mind of garbage so to speak and leave it ready to absorb. If you have a lot of trouble with the program I would recommend you do it with an anti anxiety for a couple of months. Just not Ativan please.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Evening,

I signed up to this site about a week ago and after reviewing the tools and the forums I felt I should post an introduction.  I am so impressed with the care and compassion everyone shows on this site.  I am already encouraged.

I have experienced panic symptoms for about 25 years, starting at age 16.  The situations that trigger anxiety or full blown panic attacks are flying alone, being alone far away from home (hours by plane), tall or very long bridges, driving along long distances to unknown places, tall buildings and getting stuck in elevators.  I also experience anticipatory anxiety when flying (starting weeks in advance that escalate to the day of, then generally I am ok on the plane.  The ride back though is typically rough. 

I read a book on overcoming flying fears years back which gave me the tools to fly with others effectively. I avoid the tallest, longest bridges for the most part but I can usually function normally with 150 miles of home.  I have never take any meds and went to a therapist for a few visit after a sever bout of depression (see below).

My biggest challenge is not anxiety and panic attacks per se but the worry about have a significant depression that seems triggered by prolonged anxiety and panic attacks over a period of time.  This depression last for months and the thought of a recurrence is dreadful.

I am working the program after avoiding a overnight flight alone (week 2).  Due to a job loss, my situation may require traveling for interviews without a support person and right now that thought is intolerable.

So I will let everyone how I am doing but I will say right now I am right tired of being tired.  I do not want to grow, learn, manage, reduce, or overcome.  I just want to be "normal" (whatever that means).  With that said, I know the program will help if I work the plan so that is what I am going to do.

Thanks to those who read this and offer support, and I hope I can contribute and be supportive.

Good night...

Reading this thread: