Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

brand new and need advice

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mpez,

It is an excellent idea to practice relaxation strategies when you are not having an attack. Thank you for suggesting this!

Members, is this something you have tried before? Would you find practicing this relaxation or deep breathing helpful? If yes, how so?

Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob -

I just joined the forum today but had to reply to your statement about panic attacks that last hours ... because that was exactly my experience and all the literature I read indicated that the typical panic attack was a rather brief occurence (minutes not hours).  This was very frustrating for me intitally ... especially because I think it interferred with my diagnosis (when I was explaining symptoms during my multiple doctors visits it was always within the context of panic attacks lasting hours). 

I know you said you were practicing breathing techniques and I had a question ... do you just use this strategy when you're having the attacks or do you practice breathing when you're not having panic attacks as well?  I found it was helpful for me to practice the breathing techniques when I wasn't having an attack b/c it has seemed to condition my body to respond quicker when I use the same techniques to cope with actual panic attacks. 

Just thought I'd share my experience so far.  It was very interesting for me to hear that somebody else out there has had experience with the 'marathon' panic attacks. 

Also, if you haven't yet, you may want to pick up a copy of the Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne ... I found it to be a helpful resource. 

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rob,

Panic attacks can be considered a mental illness when they have been persisting chronically - that is for a long period of time and may require chemical substances to control them.

It is highly recommended that you take some time to read through the program and forums as there is a wealth of information and diagnostic tests availalbe to you in order for you to better understand the nature and intensity of your condition.  As already mentioned, working through the sessions and completing the worksheets will also help you discover a lot about yourself while helping you through the process of managing the panic attacks.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 122 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi rob,

just wanted to welcome you to the forums! The people are great here.  One thing I do when I'm
                       trying to explain to someone about my panic attacks, is to ask them one thing that has really scared
                       them in the past, and then ask them to tell me what they felt at that moment, then  I tell them that's
                       how I feel when I try to do everyday things most people take for granted, they either get it or they don't.
                       Either way we can all over come our road blocks! all my best.

sweatbee
15 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear momsydo,
What a huge encouragement you are to me! You are the only gal who has written about the attacks lasting LONG! The books don't even talk about it. You are soooo right, yesterday for the FIRST time I explained what was happening and didn't hide ANYTHING. I have also felt i would be better off in Heaven, but never when not going through an attack. Gals like you are helping me so much. I wish I would have searched this out long ago, but was fearful about finding out what was wrong with me. Are panic attacks a mental illness, physical illness, syndrome, what?????

15 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob
I have had anxiety since I was 12 years old.  I've been married 26 years now and my husband just finally started to understand that once an attack starts, its really hard to calm it down.  It wasn't until I was hospitalized because I had attacks that lasted all day sometimes and was at the point of thinking they would be better off without me.  I was forced at that time to let him know everything, absolutely everything, that went through my mind when I had an attack.  I had to explain in detail the dizziness, the hot/cold thru my veins, the heart racing, chest pains, throwing up, and inability to even see straight.  He now,I dont' think understands, but is more sympathetic that those things I don't want, can't stop, and him pushing me to "get over it" only makes it worse.  Being able to tell him what I'm feeling without any judgement from him helps tremendously.  So does posting here and knowing that I'm not alone in this.  Don't give up!
Dear Lore,
how kind of you to reply. I feel a zillion % better just knowing someone else knows what I'm feeling. My hubby is not a bad guy, he just has trouble understanding. I don't even understand it! Since there are thoughts, breathing, homework etc. I can do to help, doesn't that mean I AM sort of egging the attacks on?
On another note, the homework helps, the questions to ask about what is TRUE about your feelings help, and forcing myself to DO what I DON"T want to do worked yesterday. There just may be light at the end of the tunnel

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rob,

Yes, that is exactly what the homework sheets are for (and more!). Please feel free to post at any time, we are always here for you

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Rob,
Welcome to this site. 
When I relapsed the second time with anxiety disorder, I had chills, teeth clattering, and shaking and hands and feet were clammy. I had to gag (never threw up yet) a couple of times too. I'm sorry but it really boggles me that your husband told you you 'need to get over it'. That really doesn't help. You take all the time you need.

How kind of you to reply. I will check on the meds. Do you mean the homework sheets where you fill in about your thoughts and feelings when having an attack? My husband thinks I'm just depressed and need to get over it. I feel much better just typing my true feelings instead of hiding my panic. 

Reading this thread: