Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

New here

15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Koneko,

Welcome aboard!

The fear of chocking is also known as pseudodysphagia. It is more common than you might think.

If this fear or other phobias is causing significant distress, we suggest making it an exposure goal. Exposure work is covered in the program. 

Before you can start exposure therapy, you'll need to learn a few other skills covered in the beginning of the program such as challenging anxious
thoughts and relaxation techniques.

Good luck! Don't hesitate to post if you have questions!

Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Koneko!

I experience a similar sensation all the time!!
Sometimes when I take a pill and I dont swallow it well, it feels like its stuck in the bottom of my throat, when in reality its not.
I think that I just dont drink enough water, so its goes down and 'scratches' the side of my throat and makes it feel stuck.
Also, sometimes when I get anxious I get a lump in my throat, which in return makes me want to gag, and I do sometimes...
but I've gotten much better about it.
I find that everyone with panic disorder experience a lot of the same symptoms, but also have individual symptoms that are a little different
than anyone elses.
What I find best to help out with this, is just to drink some water...
Hope this helps to reassure you that this is a 'normal' anxiety symptom!
15 years ago 0 76 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone!

Just thought I'd start by making an introduction.  I'm a 26 year old female, been in a relationship for 9 yrs and engaged for 3 of those =)

I didn't see anyone else posting with this problem so not entirely sure if this program will help but I'm willing to give it a shot. I've been having panic attacks and anxiety off and on for about a year now, give or take.  They've always been over taking pills (tylenol/medication/etc) or when it's dark at home and I have to go to bed alone and my fiancee is working nights.  Very rarely it's been over something random but it has happened.

I get a sensation like the pill is getting stuck in my throat..  Doesn't happen all the time but lately it has been happening pretty much every time I've taken a pill for various reasons.  About 5 or 6 days ago I had a terribly bad panic attack when taking a tylenol and since then it's started to effect my eating habits as well.  I haven't been able to eat as much as I normally would due to this sensation.  I also start coughing and trying to clear my throat.  I don't think anything is actually getting stuck.

I have been to a doctor in the past over this and was told I'm perfectly healthy, however, I'll be going back to the doctor in a couple days just to make sure that it isn't something else this time because of the severity.  In the meantime, I have some issues that I hope I can overcome with the help of this site and if it's not something medical, work on getting my anxiety and panic attacks under control so I can enjoy going to a restaurant again with my fiancee and not feel like I'm going to have an attack when I'm doing something as simple as having a nice dinner out with him.

Thanks for your time!

-Koneko

Reading this thread: