Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

CBT

9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rohit131,

The choice to see a therapist depends on each individual circumstance. If you find you are struggling with managing your anxiety on your own then seeing a therapist might be a good option. There are online therapists that may be useful to you if you are unable to see one in person. In the end, the choice is yours. To get you thinking here are some questions:

What do you think a therapist will help you with that you cannot do for yourself?
What would your goals be in working with a therapist?
What qualities are you looking for in  a therapist?
How much will you be able to afford in a therapist?
How much research have you done on finding a therapist that is right for you? How will you find a quality therapist?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CBT is like making a white sauce. It seems to be taking for ever but all of a sudden it starts to work and if you have the right ingredients it is a thing of beauty. Try to rush it though and it doesn't work. I spent a lot of time avoiding things as a solution till I hit a point where I couldn't do it anymore. And of course there were a lot of things I had been avoiding. I had no idea how to deal with them but had too. So I developed a lot of triggers. I also became dependent on Ativan because now that I couldn't avoid things I could still null them with the pills. Cognitive function went down the drain. It was not the answer. It is easy to fear something you have been avoiding or something that is difficult. Taking pills is just a different form of avoidance. Learning to look at things differently fixes this. It takes away the fear and gives you confidence and the good thing about it is that if it works for one thing then it works for all of them. So, no more pills and no more fear. Anxiety, yes and panic yes sometimes but it is not the same. They are just the reaction to a concern and are very minor markers that a situation is needing attention.  Give it attention and it goes away if it doesn't all for action. Triggers might not go away right away but your reaction to them changes so they are harmless. The object is not to stop some thing from causing a reaction but to cause it to have a different reaction. You can not get rid of things in memory but you can make different memories that are harmless or even positive. And this attitude has the ability to be used in any situation.

I am a far different person than I was five years ago.  I'm older and life is more difficult but it no longer affects me in a negative way. CBT did this for me.

Davit

PS, is it perfect? No, trauma is still trauma and the moment can be bad, it is supposed to be but it no longer has to affect the future.
9 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Davit. I'm putting all my efforts into CBT and plan on seeing it to the end. 
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CBT is a process and yes it really works, how well depends on you.  And by you I mean who and what you are.
Personality, attitude, perseverance and ability to understand something that is going to be foreign to you. The mind never rests, just like the heart never stops pumping.You can stop breathing and you can even have your heart skip beats, but if your brain stops working you die. Every function of your body is directed by the mind. Every thought and physical action is controlled by the mind also. The difference is that to replicate cells you only need a few rules as does breathing and heart rate. You have little control over this.
Thoughts and actions are a different storey. You have control of this and memory has control of you. Memory constantly up grades to fit the situation. Which is why you are the way you are today. A situation or a number of them has sent you into memory looking for answers and you have come up with the wrong ones. Actually they are the relevant answers just that what is relevant is not right. Memory doesn't know that unless you tell it so. It (you) can only work with what it knows.

CBT is a process that changes thought patterns so memory finds solutions that are right and relevant at the same time with the emphasis on right or desirable more than relevant. Relevant is the safety factor that keeps you on the straight and narrow. It may not be what you want though. When you are tired relevant has priority over selective thought and you can make the same mistake over and over. This is why you can panic every time a trigger shows up. Your mind thinks panic is relevant because you haven't put into memory that it isn't.

CBT takes time because you have to break cycles and because some of the undesirable thoughts are actually survival skills and they will want to stay.

The program as any thing based on CBT takes you through the steps to do this with coping and relaxation skills thrown in to make functioning easier.

And yes it works in the sense that if you do it, it works.

Davit.
9 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a new comer to Panic Center and just finished up reading Session 1.  Those of you who have been here longer does CBT really work?  I really want to get my anxious thoughts under control as they constantly pop into my head & then distract me/hold my attention which causes me to be less of a person to my family and friends.  I am so tired of being anxious all the time.  I've tried deep breathing & repeating a mantra to try to help, but it doesn't seem too.  I exercise about 30 minutes every other day--due to my schedule--and that doesn't seem to get my mind off of the thoughts.  I've only had 2 panic attacks within the last year or so.  It is just these darn anxious thoughts of "what if...".

Any help would be wonderfully accepted.
Thanks-
Liveandlearn
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Rohit,

A person can do the program with or without a therapist. Seeking out a therapist is a personal decision that one must make for themselves with possibly the help of their doctor or maybe a counseling center of some kind. If it was me and I wanted to try talking to a therapist I would make sure to seek out a licensed therapist to talk to. Someone who has a formal education in the field.

I have been working the program without a therapist but if I were wanting to talk to someone this is how I would go about it here in the United States. I am not sure how it is done where you live.

Hope this helps..

Red

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rohit

A therapist isn't necessary because they only guide you. They will correct you if you stray. You will still have to gear your recovery to your own needs. My therapist is only 20 minutes away and is very good at explaining CBT. Some therapists only teach relaxation and coping which is fine but I feel if you are going to go back to the high pressure job you need more. I would not recommend you travel that far only to be told what is on this site. It would probably only lower your self esteem. But if the therapist can teach you how to recognize the triggers and neutralize them it is worth it. 
You can Email me if you have something you want explained but not on the site in an open forum. Call it a closed forum.
I don't mind spending a lot of time explaining the different parts of CBT as taught to me by my therapist and you can pick out what will work best for you. I won't be saying do this or that, the choice would be yours to pick out from a number of techniques that have proved to work. It is conditional that you let people know what works for you on the forums as encouragement to new comers. We have so few new comers.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For CBT,is it necessary to visit therapist ? I have now shifted to my home town where I do not find  therapist.I have developed my own formats to record my anxiety & moods.I also follow the program from time to time & discuss my anxiety problem with my near & dear.Is it worthful for a long term?Shud I start search for a good therapist but that's difficult to manage.Will be around 200 km from my hometown.
Plz suggest.
rohit131

Reading this thread: