Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Set back

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cara

Two things are going to happen on your last day. Euphoria that it is over and sadness after that it had to happen. This is normal, let it happen, but don't take it with you to the next job. Look at the new job as an unrelated new beginning. A chance to do something really good, a chance to get better.

I drank ensure for a while when I was not eating well. After a while though it tastes horrible, maybe there is something better. I really liked smoothies. 

Davit
10 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have days where ill have no anxiety attacks only feelings of anxiety creeping in, so hopefully ill have good days with no attacks and try to keep anxiety away.  I started taking multivitamins today and I'm hoping I feel better:) I haven't been eatting much since having these attacks so I know I'm not getting anything much from my food.

I am starting my new job in a few weeks and would like to really manage my anxiety 
10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds like a good goal to me but let's tweek it a bit to make it more behavioural as a behavioural goal is easier to measure.  If you were keeping anxiety low how would you know? What would you notice? What would you be doing differently?

Ashley, Health Educator
My goal for the week is to finish my job coz my last day is Thursday with minimal anxiety, meaning I want to try to keep it low, so it doesn't lead to any panic attacks. And if I do have one to not get discouraged and keep going. 
We try not to use the word cured as everyone has to expierence anxiety sometimes and addressing anxiety means maintenance. You will have to keep using the skills you learned in order to manage it. It becomes easier but you still might have "failures" but that's ok!

I good tool to use is your symptom tracker. That  will help you see the gradual decline of your symptoms over time. A gradual decline would mean progress!

It`s also a good idea to set small goals for yourself. What`s a goal you can have for next weekÉ

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks Ashley, I learnt from my last failure is what really causes my panic attacks worrying about my health and body. My panic always happens when I worry about feeling weird, and sometimes I know it's becoming psychosomatic. I think way to much of symptoms. And that is what I will talk to my therapist about.

Also because I failed that last panic attack I know now what I did. I didn't try to distract myself I kept thinking about what I was feeling.

It was a good lesson to learn and with this we learn something new about them. Also it helps that you feel these so when It happens again we can really believe tht nothing is wrong and let the feelings pass. 

How will you know your cured or getting better from panic attacks?
I know, it sounds crazy to celebrate failure. But I say celebrate because it is inevitable and you learn from it so why let it drag you down? If it is just a part of the process then it is not really a failure to begin with.

If you didn't "fail" sometimes then it would show that you weren't trying to learn something. The failure equals learning and there is a big gift there. Just try to reframe your mindset and you might  find the "failures" seem a little less painful and a lot more hopeful.

So what was the gift in your most recent "failure"? What did you learn? What do you want to take away from it?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,

I agree that you have to experience more panic to practice your coping skills and feel anxious to challenge your thoughts, but sometimes set backs makes me feel no progress and that I'm back to square one. 

How do you celebrate failures? 

At times I can just pick up the peices and keep going but when the panic lingers and repeats frequently I can't seem to go on without feeling failure.
Hi Cara,

Set backs are not only common but also completely normal and actually a vital part of learning. What do you think you need to learn from this experience? Change of any kind takes time and lots of failures. I actually like to celebrate failures as they point to learning.

What are your thoughts?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thank you Davit. I actually forgot about my set back and had a normal evening.

I don't see the panic everyday, they are becoming less severe and less often especially after I quit the job I dreaded. Hopefully it will eventually go away and come less frequent as I am excited about starting my new job.  I really don't want anxiety ruining it for me.  I never would've left the job I dreaded if I didn't get anxiety. 

Reading this thread: