Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Aging and Accepting

12 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Debora,
It sounds like you are moving in a positive direction..Taking it slow and easy with the program is a good idea..Thats what I have done too..I have been here a long while now and you know what they say "slow and steady wins the race.".

Red...
12 years ago 0 542 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wrote out the anxious and panic sample sheets, I keep going back and re-reading a lot of the program, I should be further ahead I know but I feel I have to go slower to digest and understand it, especially the bodily symptoms and fear that goes with it, I am afraid to go quicker if I am not ready. My printer is broke and I cannot seem to "unlock" the homework on my e-mail for some reason? I asked my husband to help me do it I may be doing something wrong. The ten questions DO help and I am in fact using them today because of some scary physical symptoms I am having {I was coughing and wheezing all night} and now I am scared but trying not too dwell because I know that makes it worse. The section on panic was probably the most helpful too me, I understand what my body is doing and why, now I have to stop worrying and fearing everything in my life.
Debora:

Have you written out one of the sample sheets?  If so Which One?  Are you working on one of the sessions?  If so which session are you working on now? Has it been helpful? and in what way? 

Red...
Yes Hugs alot of it is health anxiety and started this rollar coaster for me. I have read the ten questions and it did help, I try to self talk and ask the ten questions, sometimes its harder than other times through, my printer is not working so I am trying to write out by hand the sample sheets. I wish I could get a handle on the hypocrondria I really believe its "feeding" this panic and depression and agorophobia, thats my goal prayer and hope to STOP thinking I am dying all the time, I think I have to master that or I wont get better, do you all think its possible to conquer the health anxiety? Were any other members really really bad with the health anxiety? and how did you learn to control and live with it? Sorry so many questions!
Debora,

Have you started reading the program? Yes the ten question list really does work..I can attest to that..

Red...
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Debora

That is just the hypochondria talking. It is just as curable as panic with CBT. Use the ten questions. 

Davit.
Yes Hugs the hypocrondria turned into panic very quickly I am sad too say, but I DID have some real health issues like the ovarian cyst bursting, the double bronciits and the blood clot, and thats what started this whole vicious cycle again. Now I think its going to happen again! How to get rid of health anxiety?? I am grateful the panic's are lessened, believe me I am, but this health anxiety seems "really grounded" in me, my husband says I can never get rid of that but I sure hope he is wrong, I am praying for God to please rid me of at least some of it so I can function agaian, I worry so much! and I dont want to fear anymore its so exhausting!
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Debora,
It sounds like you're caught in that "panic cycle", which we all fall prey to.  Since you've labelled it as 'health anxiety', you're more ahead of the game than you think
Thank you all for you're replies. I am a little nervous today, something is going on in my family but I am going to write it on another forum later when I calm down, my house has been like a screaming yelling zoo today, and I am very shaky.

I appreciate all the replies, thank you. I think what is bothering me is I do know as you age health issues DO happen more often, like heart attack, stroke or cancer, that probably sounds negative but I know there is some truth and reality too it.

I am not worried about "looking" older, that cannot be helped, wrinkles come I know and I really dont care about that, I use to worry about my figure and looks and you know what I dont care about that anymore, not one bit, when this disorder came back it was so unimportant, what I am worrying about is my health not getting heavier or wrinkles or anything like that, its the darned health anxiety I know thats bothering me and it just so happened I got sick 3 weeks after I turned 50 and at the time I was not even thinking about it!? That was a great poem Hugs, thanks, reading all you're posts helped me to feel better, thank you.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

One favourite poem is by A Schweitzer for aging concerns:

Remain Young

Nobody get old simply because he or she has been getting on in years. People get old as soon as they wave their ideals good-bye. As we get older, our skin gets wrinkly; however, if we stop being enthusiastic, our soul will get wrinkly too. Worries, Doubts, a lack of self-confidence, fear, and hopelessness, all of these are present throughout the long, long years, forcing the head down to the ground and bending the upright spirit until it touches the dust.

You are as young as your confident optimism, as old as you doubts, as young as your hopes, as old as your dejection. As long as the message of the beauty, the joy, the boldness, the greatness, and the might of the earth, and of humanity and the infinite realism are touching your heart, you will remain young. You will have truly begun to age when your wings are beginning to point downward and the core of your hear till be covered by the snow of pessimism and the ice of cynicism.

Reading this thread: