Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Nightmares

13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Guy,

Sleep quality is really of interest.  Somehow, I found a way to sort the column headings for the topic, or number of posts.  June 2010 had sleep with about 5-6 thousand hits. 

Maybe we should have a thread or learning module on navigating the forum site...I can't sort the darn column headings anymore....can you do it?
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Guy.

The reason for checking BP and heart rate 5 minutes apart is just in case it is anxiety bringing it up. If you do this three times while sitting quiet and thinking calm thoughts and it stays the same then that is what it is. If the third time it is lower then part of it is stress.
Don't take it first thing in the morning, it is always higher then. An interesting thing is you can use the machine to bring it down by controlling your breathing and thinking it lower. This is basically distraction if you do it right.

I bought a new more expensive machine that is quieter and doesn't double pump. Far fewer mistaken readings from anxiety. 

Here for you,
Davit.

Ps. there is a big difference between desirable and acceptable. And things such as murmur effect what your limit should be. Weight, age and activity are all factors too. This is where you doctors input is important.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs4u,

This is very sound advice. I have to agree with you. We all have unique medical situations and this is why a trusted family physician is so important..

Red

Guy,

I sought my physician's consultation when my heart rate seemed high. My physician suggested taking more than one heart rate reading, over a period of time - not once. 

Incidentally, I record my heart rate weekly, since I take blood pressure medication, so I include my weight and pulse rate as do many others. When I was taking my pulse daily, my interpretation  fed a cycle of uneasiness .

Our medical situations are unique Guy, which is where trusted active family physicians and other medical personnel need to be part of our health team.

The physician I visited when I had a concern about my heart rate, was suggesting checking my heart rate to distinguish between a ramped up uneasiness, and a physically higher than normal heart rate from her knowledge of me as a patient with my history of a low heart rate. 

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Guy,
On the forum there is a topic titled "Your panic cycle." Across from that is a thread titled "can anxiety build up until it becomes panic"..If you click on it you can read through the posts there and see if that helps you or gives you any ideas on how to deal with your nightmares..I also use the 10 question list in session 3 of the program to challenge my anxious and negative thoughts when I wake up with nightmares..After you read all of the first 3 sessions you will be given access to this list in your tool box. Sometime I come here to the forum if I wake up in the night with nightmares or ptsd and read or post until I calm down..One thing I would not think of doing or do is check my heart rate..Like you I think that would just cause me more stress..It is very normal for your heart rate to be up if you are stressed or if you have been exerting yourself physically..The whole idea is to find a way to help manage your anxiety not cause yourself more...The program here can help you learn do this....

Red
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Guy.

Before I got Arthritis, I used to cycle and on hills I would have a heart rate of 140. It always came down at the top of the hill. We do tend to be over concerned. If you are basically healthy a hundred once in a while is okay. You would be surprised how many times in a day it gets higher than you would like. (especially house cleaning, lol)

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley, sounds like checking my heart rate might make sense. Although I'd be more panicked if it was over 100.

Sunny, great idea! Writing a love letter is a great idea. I just got off Skype with her and every thing seems good. I'm still scared that she's just being nice to me until the house sells and then she's going to take her half and tell me not to bother coming to her. I don't think she's done or said anything to suggest that. She cried like a baby when she left. The thing is my ex-wife left me in a similar manner and I can't seem to get beyond that.

I'll keep working with the program and keep cleaning the house, and keep going to work. What will be will be, but I sure hope it will be me and her together til the end of our days.

Thank you all, again.
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cdnguy,

It sounds like you had a little setback.  This is normal and part of the learning process. It sounds like your day was triggered by your nightmare.  It also sounds like you found a few coping strategies as well; distraction (cleaning) and talking to someone (your sweetie )What do you think you could do next time you had a nightmare to manage the anxiety?  What are some new things you could try to help manage?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Guy:  Lots of stress in your life right now.  Nightmares are probably from that.  I wouldn't worry about it.  I think talking to your sweetie every day on the phone or by email would be helpful.  Stay connected, keep up communication.  Have you thought of writing a love letter?  So old fashioned, give it a try.  :)

Sunny
Guy,
Nightmares help me purge what's going on in life.  To me, it's a good sign of the depth of my sleep, although it seems interrupted, and eventually they go away with meeting the daily challenges of living.  To me, it's like sweating, using the bathroom, dusting off the recent events.

A Simlar Symptom
Since nightmares are a symptom of of our conditions, I wished to share how I was having had a rough spot recently, and my spiral of uneasiness was increasing.  In that spiral of fear feeding fear, we often fear it getting worse, and out of control.  So this came up recently with physician with an easy fix. 

What I Did
Took my heart rate.  She stated if it's over 100bpm, there's a problem and see your physician.

Results
So I took my heart rate, it was normal at 60, and it was, of course, it was probably some rumination over who-knows-what.  I immediately became tranquil, serene, in-the-zone, able to spontaneously go out and resume something I hadn't done for a long time, and slept soundly for the first day.  Measuring heart rate is an objective measure which tells you if there's anything actually wrong, vs. mobilizing all your energy negatively and ending up at a hospital for a panic attack, when it's actually just worry.

My Homework
I say "Dream  on".  I can't wait for my next nightmare to see what my heart rate will be.

As for the people out there who are willing to take you to the cleaners for their "interpretation" of your inner life, that's personal.  Personally, I read Sigmund Freud's "Introduction to Psychoanalysis" when I was 14, and now....I've got things to places to go, people to meet...enjoy the weekend

Debit,
Hope you're well

Reading this thread: