Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Group functions

14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red:  I don't believe this is a setback.  I am truly sorry you are going through this, no wonder you don't feel like going back. If you are a member of this group - I belong to a group myself, I know how they work - you have every right to a ticket as other members.  If this person is singling you out every time, it is bullying.  She is making you uncomfortable. (the reason isn't important, you want this behaviour to stop).  As hard as it might be I would suggest that you go next time with a plan.  Hopefully your partner can help you with this.  Is there a Policy and Procedures Manual for your club?  If so, read it regarding members rights, door prize tickets and who gets them, etc. The plan for me, would be to look at this person straight on and say "I am a member, please give me my ticket".  This would show you being assertive, not aggressive.  Two things could happen - Ruth may laugh and say she was just kidding, or she could argue some kind of case as to why you don't get a ticket.  If you have read the rules, you can defend yourself.  Now, you may be thinking, I shouldn't have to defend myself in the first place.  Unfortunately, there are bullies in our world, just plain rude people too.  I'm hoping your partner can be supportive and be prepared to speak up for you also at this time and tell Ruth "we" would appreciate just receiving the ticket.  Good luck! and don't give up, keep posting
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am not sure if this is a set back or not.  I just got home from one of my partners club meeting which I am a member of. This is the first club meeting I have gone to. My partner belonged to this club before we met.  I try to fit in but it just doesn't seem to work.  I have been to shows that the club puts on and my partner and I show antique farm engines at club shows.  Anyway they have potlucks at shows and meetings and give out tickets for door prizes at these events.  For the last 5 years when even we are at these events a person named Ruth who has a lot to due with running the club goes around and hand out tickets to everyone and when she comes to me she does not want to give me a ticket.  This time she was giving tickets to everyone at our table and when she came to me she said you don't get a ticket and I looked funny and then she gave me a ticket.  She has done this at other events when they hand out tickets for dinner and door prizes or what ever.  My partner never says anything and everyone says Ruth is that way to everyone But she is not that way to everyone and singled me out at the table like she has at other events. I didn't get up and run away this time which is a improvement but I don't feel like going to these events with my partner anymore.  It is hurting me and making me sick. I was up sick at 3 am this morning worrying about going to this event. I don't know what to do about it anymore.  Should I go anyway for my partner?  Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this kind of problem?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Reading this thread: