Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Agoraphobia

8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi SimplyCatherine,

First, I should say that I was never officially diagnosed with agoraphobia; however, I have been afraid to leave my house. At one point I was even afraid to leave my room.

What helped me the most was consistency and making it a habit. I started off with relaxation; doing things that I enjoyed doing. Listening to my favourite music and singing it out loud was my turning point. I'd turn up the music and sing, despite having a terrible voice and being awfully bashful about having other people hearing me, too. After a few days, I'd emote, too. I'd close my door and move around like a moron, but it felt good. Really good. And pretty soon I was able to leave my room again without a problem.

Then came the hardest part: going outside. I took some major baby steps. At first, I'd clean my house and find garbage to take out. That way I'd have to go outside to the garbage bin. After I ran out of things to toss out, I'd make myself sit out in the back yard every single day for a few minutes at a time, and built it up to sitting outside several times a day, then eventually walking around the yard and just allowing myself to enjoy being outside. After a while, I'd spend most afternoons reading in the back yard and it became a comfortable routine.

Once I was comfortable with that, I'd give myself goals to go just a few steps further away from my yard every day. You'd think you'd look like a nut, but no one really cared and I made myself look busy by picking up litter. After a while, I was making goals to go to the corner store for milk or eggs or a newspaper every single day. Then I'd make goals to take a walk in the park or a few circles around the block.

The important thing was to do it every day. Even when you feel better again, try to keep it a habit. I've had a few relapses over the years, and they've all been traced back to not getting outside the house enough. It's a real problem for me because I work from home and not going outside is far too easy. Oh, and another mistake that I feel is well-worth mentioning, that I still have problems with today, is to tell someone. For me, that's the hardest part, but it's so much easier to get better when you're not trying to hide it from people.

Anyway, you'd be surprised how much good a daily ten minute walk can be for your head.
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi SimplyCatherine,

That's a big question and I am interested to hear what other members have to say. All I can suggest is to continue to review the program and to try to set small goals for yourself to work on gradual exposure of the agoraphobia which you have been doing. Be sure to celebrate each small goal you achieve. A 30 minute walk is a big acheivement. Congrats!! 
Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 111 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In a very short time, I am growing more and more housebound. I freak out at the thought of leaving my home, going too far, being out of reach of help… 

I managed to take a 30 minute walk near our house with my kiddo and Hubby in tow. 

Considering I need to be finding a job soon, I kinda need to be able to leave my house on my own and go where I need to go!!! 

Any tips to fight the agoraphobia? 

Reading this thread: