Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Driving

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CURE!!!!!

Now there is a word with more definitions than the Inuit have names for snow. It certainly means different things to different people. For most people recovery is a better word because they are at the point they just want things to be the way they were, even if they weren't that good. Functioning is better than how you are or were. None of these are right. and yet all of them are. The problem is with how the mind thinks not how the body works. How the body works is a symptom or reaction or both to how the mind works. They are all connected.
Triggers are just triggers, symptoms are just symptoms and actions and reactions are just that too. CBT doesn't make them go away in that sense but makes them go away in the sense that they mean something different. Something harmless. Something that you don't notice anymore in the same way so that you don't get the same reaction. 
Is this what you want for a cure? Or do you want to have no triggers? 
Normal anxiety is healthy and can be exciting. Racing down a winding hill is the same trigger as racing down a crowded freeway. You get the same reaction and the same symptoms. Just different thoughts. One though is because you want to and the other is because you have to. What if you used the same thought patterns for one with the other. wouldn't you get the same reaction. Of course you would, the mind is conditioned and trained to get a certain emotion from a certain thought. A+B makes AB it has no choice. So it seems to me that with anxiety disorders we are using the wrong thought pattern with the trigger getting the wrong reaction. Turning A+B into C which it is not, which the mind has no way to deal with other than panic because of the wrongness.Well no it is more than thinking so but knowing so since I have gone through this. My thought patterns are different than they were. I'm not the same person I was before my anxiety disorder because I didn't have it and didn't need these thought patterns. Yet my goals and ideals are the same so I am the same person. So recovered might be the word for me. But too since I have settled into these new thought patterns and don't have panic attacks, cured might be the word. But what about the couple of times a year that I have to actually use coping skills. Does this mean I'm only maintaining. Look around you. It is a rare person who doesn't get anxious some of the time. Does this mean we all suffer from anxiety.  No, they just take it in stride and it is more nuisance for them than actual. Different thought patterns from the person with an anxiety disorder even though the trigger is the same. So you tell me what your definition of cure is? I know we all want to have a life without anxiety but do you want to be totally free and as lifeless as a carrot or would you rather be able to shrug it off and live in exciting times. A lot of exciting things cause anxiety but not panic. 
CBT is about changing thought patterns and in that way you could say it makes the triggers go away, it makes the anxiety go away and definitely makes the panic go away. If this is acceptable then that is a cure.

One final word from some one who has always been prone to anxiety. It is fantastic having control over it and not need meds. It is terrific being able to do anything I want to within my physical capability.

Davit

Looking forward to having my other cataract fixed, I will be more comfortable driving having 20/20 in both eyes.

9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cara,

That sounds like a good plan. How will you be rewarding yourself for staying consistent in this plan? Rewards are important.

I get uncomfortable with the word "cure" having anxiety occasionally is a part of the human condition. In fact, anxiety occasionally is actually healthy. It's when anxiety takes over and interferes with our quality of life is when we have a problem. For people who suffer from an anxiety disorder I like to use the word management as opposed to cure. That being said, anxiety symptoms can be eliminated and you can lead a normal life free from anxiety disorder symptoms. It's important to know however that set backs are common and actually part of the healing process. Try not to think of them as a failure, think of them as a learning opportunity. The more you learn about your anxiety and how to manage it the less anxiety will negatively impact your life. Also know that anxiety is one of the more manageable mental health concerns out there. If you put the work in you will see drastic results. Keep at it and appreciate all the hard work you have already completed. You are well on your way!

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I start CBT group sessions in September. My exposure plan is to drive to and from work about 10-15 mins drive no highway this week and hopefully when my anxiety lessens I can start driving highways to work which will be faster.

I hate having them while driving because unrealistic feelings come in and I feel off and dizzy. I still push myself to keep going trying to make them go away sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm hoping my anxiety stays manageable this week. I need to retrain and get my mind back with confidence. I hate feeling scared and limited to what I can do.

How can u cure this? Is there even a cure? Is it just learn To manage ? Is that the cure? 

Coz id like to know because I keep looking for the cure. That when I have them again I get depressed and disappointed it happened again and it's a cycle coz I have to start having non anxiety days to start feeling better again- and then I feel better till the next attack. I'd like to know because Id like to start thinking of it another way maybe that can help me understand it.
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cara423,

Congrats on all your progress so far! It is not easy to overcome anxiety and you are doing it.

Driving is a common fear. As with all fears exposure is your best bet for beating it. Make an exposure plan with the help of the program. You might find that you need a little extra support while overcoming this fear. If so, a therapist could be a good option. They will work through the exposure plan with you.

Feel free to share your exposure plan with us - we would be happy to give you feedback.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cara, 

Driving was my longest avoided fear. I can go get in the car and drive around a parking lot with little to no anxiety now. I drove while camping. My biggest issue was the windows rolled up, so I had to roll them down to calm me down. I was not able to make left turns (that's something I need more exposure therapy with me) but, I knew I wanted chocolate bars for smores and the only way to get it, was to drive to go get them. I got rewarded (smores) for driving and it gave me a sense of freedom and success. I had to pull over once and compose myself. I knew in advance where the pull off was and that helped me with getting behind the wheel. I also repeated, I got this, this is no big deal and you can handle a little anxiety, soon you will be calm. I hope this helps...
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cara

Fight or flight is the reaction to an anxious situation. Being in a bubble is one of the ways you prepare for this by blocking out your surroundings. Because you say you "want to" do this I have faith that you will. So you need to break the bubble so you see everything happening around you and that they are harmless. You need to cut out the fight or flight reaction by making it unnecessary. To do this you have to convince yourself there is no reason for the anxiety. 
I would start by driving down a side street like you were extremely curious and looking at everything. Drive slow and ask yourself what is to fear here. Note the houses, people and anything else of interest. These are positives and help to counter the fear. They are also distractions and we know distractions work. Like reading licence plates or business signs when stuck at a light. 
When driving, do the three mirror thing, looking in each mirror so you know where everyone is instead of looking straight ahead. The only thing to fear driving is another vehicle so if you know where they are then that fear is neutralized. A quick look is all then one eye on the road and one eye on the surroundings more as a distraction and as enjoyment than as security even though it is that too. Driving should be a pleasure but if you make it a chore instead you will bring up all the negative reasons not to do it. It should be a pleasure. A last minute chance to enjoy your freedom before getting down to work and, going home it should be a reward for having worked all day. A car is your space, a safe harbour if you make it that.
I love to drive but living in the country I can enjoy the city but don't like driving in it. This is just my Agoraphobia raising it's ugly head. So I need to use coping skills to keep control with me and not let the fear creep in. If I lived in a city this would become second nature for me.

Davit
9 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Soooo I'm starting to feel like my old self again mainly because I got to my beliefs like Davit and Ashley said.

Now I have another obstacle in my way. Last year I started getting panic attacks in the car while driving so I stopped driving but now because my husband works the other way from my job I have to start driving again. Everytime I get behind the wheel panic attacks occur. Please help! How do I overcome this? I want to get my confidence driving again. I used to drive no problem before... But now it's so scary because I feel like I'm just in a bubble when I'm driving .

Reading this thread: