Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Blowing off steam

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today I took mom to the doc, where we waited close to two hours.  I used 20 minutes to have her get a flu shot at the pharmacy.

I was so frustrated,  I went for a walk twice, to run 3 errands. Two of them were to compare changing pharmacies, since they're not helpful too.

I kept my distance from the secretary, who can't improve the situation.  She anxiously stood nearby with the files, each time a patient had to enter the room, since the doc is just taking his time.  I suppose some people appreciate it.

There might be something cognitively wrong though, since some of his behaviour seems irrational...
Hi Vincenza   

I look forward to the classes generally. It's been my desire to be involved for years, but circumstances weren't right. Can't commit anything to memory, although sometimes I think I'm almost grasping part of it.  This experience reminds me of  so many failures of the  past, including work, so there's something emotional going on, which is uncomfortable. Who doesn't admire the acrobatics of martial artists, I wonder?   Sometimes it seems like dance.

I wish I could get mom involved, but I know with the cold weather, she just doesn't like going out. 

It's so hard to tell if it's her "personality" of individuality, or anxiety?   I know she loves "movement".  Maybe I'll just have to part with the money. As the apple, I may not be falling far from the tree that bore the fruit(although I don't feel "fruitful" very often, when it comes to anxiety.
10 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I do walk outside. I used to go to the gym 3 to 5 times a week up until a couple of weeks ago. Late last week I started trying to walk for 10 minutes during lunch and sometimes when I get home I walk. I use to journal in college and been thinking of getting back into it and creating a online journal or something.
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gailerina, 
You mentioned you don't enjoy walking on a treadmill, do you like walking outdoors?  Getting fresh air is a wonderful and simple way to help clear your mind.  Walking around your neighborhood while mindfully taking full deep breaths - especially (well depending where you live) with the crips Fall air.  
Any other ways that help clear your mind?  Have you tried journalling before?  If so, have you found it helpful?

Hugs, 
I admire that you do what it takes to be involved in activities such as Ta Chi despite the facility being very cold.  I can imagine it is frustrating, but the rewards of being active must outweigh any hassle of layering and bringing gloves!  How do you like the classes? 
Hi Gailerina,
It might be since we all express ourselves differently.  Sometimes I lose the meaning of a word.  I looked up the meaning, and found that it means to convey a thought or feeling, and I don't have ways of doing that, at least not enough of them, so I'm going to make efforts to do that.

My tai chi class is cold, and the administration is incompetent, so that many have left the community center, in the last few months.  All I can do is suck it up, and wear gloves on top of the coat, thick socks and sweaters.

I think it's the part of the city I live in too, since a supervisor once offended me by stating that I lived in a "low life" area.

Unfortunately, she' right - poor medical services, poor gyms and community centers, etc.

I have to see reality versus an attempt to hurt me, and it's an art to tell the difference.

Right now, I'm going to make a note to pack gloves for Saturday's class, since there's nothing I can do.

I think walking is not for everything.

For example: some people can walk on a treadmill and feel great. I feel horrible. Some walk outside and hate it and love walking on a treadmill.

I do hope I will find something. Sometimes I miss my college and driving to some areas and having no cell phone reception. Nothing but a simple life.
Hi Gailerina,

Even if that doesn't work out, others avenues are always open, as long as your mind is.

For some reason I feel worse after going for a walk, but then my boots are tight.  I don't know what's with my feet, but it seems they've just changed shape. It reminds me that's I'd better stretch after working out, since I didn't before.
Boxing is something I have been interested in or something related to martial arts. My gym is in a mall and I noticed inside the mall there is also a boxing place and I have always wondered if boxing can be beneficial as well. I have tried meditation and it can be hard. Clearing my mind is very very hard for some reason and I wish I knew.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a cat of many colours and life is interesting but being unique is a necessity for me if I want CBT to work. Allowing my many colours to drag me around would only make anxiety more prevalent. I can not have that especially if I want to keep improving. We all have the ability to become unique but it is easier to follow the herd even if it goes where we don't want to. Akin to taking pills because it is easier than doing the work.
Businesses make good use of our herding instincts. And when that doesn't work they charge extra to cater to our uniqueness knowing they can interest the herd and make money off it. Usually by saying if you don't want to be left out you need to do this or have that. I want to be left out, I want to be me. And I do know where I am going.

Davit
Hi Davit,
We do have a lot more resources than we estimate at times.  You're unique since you know your limits.

This morning I met someone coming from church, and I was animated, and had opinions in many areas.  When I got home, I felt like a deflated balloon, and wished I was like that more often, since I'm often frustrated.

Reading this thread: