Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Acceptance and Denial on the Road to Recovery

11 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

I have trouble admitting to others that I have an anxiety disorder, partially because I view it in myself as a "weakness". There is another part to it though. I don't want to let it stop me, I can't use it as an excuse anymore. I refuse to accept I have limitations. We are capable of far more than we let ourselves believe, don't fall into that trap Hugs!

If we wanted to do the Kokoda track, and we trained hard, we totally could. If we want to overcome our anxiety, and put in the work then we can!

For a while I made a deal with myself, if I said I couldn't do something, then I had to do it. I love the quote "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

I had forgotten about this when my anxiety came back, so thank you for reminding me.

Kaitie.
11 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

I was thinking about acceptance of anxiety today as well..  It is funny because many peoples immediate response is to fight anxiety and the uncomfortable feelings that we all suffer from.  It is not until I sought professional help that I learned its better to accept the sensations and lean into them and its my perception of them which makes them negative.

Accepting anxiety for me is a difficult thing to do and I think its largely because I feel that I am the one thinking the negative thoughts and causing myself these thoughts and feelings and that I should be able to stop it.  The fact is that currently I can not control all my thoughts all the time and that I have an anxiety disorder
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

Acceptance would mean that I would temper goals with the reality that I have limits.  It's not fair to myself to try to get things done when some things are just outside my "scope".  I guess I'd like to be able to live life fully, and just haven't figured out my limits, and wish to live more realistically and within a frame.
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

What does it mean to you to accept Hugs? What would fully accepting yourself look like?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks Davit,

I guess I've been so shaken over the last couple of months that I feel I need an alignment, to use your automobile analogy.
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have Arthritis. That is a fact. I have adjusted to it and live life quite well within my limitations.

I have a panic disorder. That is a fact. I have adjusted to it and live quite well with no limitations. 

There is not much difference. Having a mental disorder does not make you flawed it means you see things different. 
CBT teaches you to see things two ways and to choose the better one. The other way does not go away it just does not get used. But since it is still there it can pop up once in a while. Like on sad days. CBT teaches you how to deal with these and to realize they are just sad days. If people can accept the common cold or sore muscles from over work then why not bumps in this mental road. The difference is that we are the ones that build the pot holes and we who decide how deep to make them. There are ways to go around them.

Davit
Sometimes I wonder if I've accepted myself as flawed, since I'm in that small number of people who have to struggle with those on this website.

Do others feel that they have to "accept" their diagnosis and condition?  I certainly follow the homework.

Reading this thread: