Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Panic attacks when speaking in front of people

16 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Although I've been away from it for a while, I gained a lot of speaking confidence from attending Toastmasters. Shopping around for the group that felt most comfortable and supportive. I did apply myself to the program for a number of years though could probably use a refresher at this point. Just another possible option.
16 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am awful at public speaking, I used to work at a store, a big electronics store, and every morning we had "chalk talk" which is a morning meeting. You have to play silly games, and read off the department numbers each day, I started not going because I was so terrified, i'd be shaking, Also I have an accent, and people would laugh and mimick me and say "aww..such a lovely accent" but then say something after I said it ..*for fun"..it made it worse for me... I'd hide in the back when I had to go to chalk talk, and claim i was busy!!!!!I was good with individual customers, and strangers, but ask me to stand up in front of my coworkers, and I just freeze.
16 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Something I like to keep in mind too is that the people you are speaking to are just that, people. They aren't perfect either and I truly believe that most of us have something that makes us uncomfortable. It always helps me to remind myself even if those people have an important job title they are still equally human and all of us are equally important! I hope things go well for you! Birdie
16 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow JohnnyO , thats quite alot of people to see . Of course i wish you luck . I find it helpful to write things down . Because as soon as im anxious i either freeze or waffle and forget what i wanted to say .
16 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mine is more anticipatory, I may remain composed if I can just get myself there. I have been off work unexpectedly due to a major backslide into crippling anxiety. Now I am being called in front of two supervisors, an occupational health nurse, a rehab administrator and an external rehab contractor. Against my usual way of approaching such things, if I can muster the courage I intend to give as clear an explanation of my situation which should help open up the dialogue for establishing an ongoing solution. Or could make me feel dangerously vulnerable. wish me luck
16 years ago 0 69 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was going to post about this topic today and here it was waiting for me already. I have had panic attacks when speaking or when just being in a group of people. My new job requires quite a bit of conversation with customers and I am finding that when I keep my mind occupied and in the moment, the attacks are not as frequent. It's only when I start to let my mind wander and think about panic attacks over silly thoughts, then I get panicky. I am doing my best not to let it get the best of me. Maybe that could help you as well. David
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pick, Welcome to our support community. You've certainy come to the right place. You'll be able to find a lot of information so when ready start working through the program. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post, we're here to help. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I am no expert but I think the info here is very good and the tools here are great. I do think you could benefit from the programs. Of course, everything might not apply to your problem, but I think that is the case for everybody. But we come here and get what we can out of this. I think youcould get things out of this too. :) It is worth giving it a go in my opinion. The moderators should be along shortly to give you more info :) -Diva
16 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello! I get panic attacks when speaking in front of people, which I have to do quite often in my job (a few times a month). It's terrifying occasions, during which I can no longer move my tongue, my voice turns all strange and I have to stop in the middle of the phrases just to be able to breath. I wonder if the Panic Center program can be of use for such a specific issue? Best, Pick

Reading this thread: