Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

get nervous while exercising

14 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah I read them, and they do help but at the moment of my PA I sometimes need to be reminded (usually by my gf) but it does help ... and after being reminded constantly I think it's becoming more apparent how untrue my thoughts really are.
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Salem,

Let your body tell you if your pushing yourself too far.  A good idea is to stretch before and after your exercise or work-out.  This helps you muscles and can help with panic as well.  Relaxation techniques as a great way to calm and refocus your mind. 

Check with your doctor regarding any exercise, they can give you a complete physical and come up with an exercise routine that is right for you and your body.

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Chris,

Good for you for being as part of your progress!  This also helps in keeping your mind and body fit!

Keep up the good work!

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm personaly am using this program and it is helping, I'm still working on the exercise thing, I think
one dose mistake the high heart rate of exercise and turns it into a panic and instead of calming down
after or during your exercise  the adrenaline gets released and your heart speeds up, I like the idea of
questioning your specific problem with the ten questions, it is helpful, my whole life I have never had a
problem exercising playing sports, but I think after the panic stuff there is a fear what if I have one during
a basketball game and my heart rate is already up, will the panic attack make it go twice as high since the rate
already was high, and is this dangerous, I quess this is sort of a non logical thought, and I quess I dont know
if any one know's is it medicaly documented that any one has ever hurt there heart haveing a panic attack during intense
exercise?
   I think probaly no one ever has, Ive never heard of it, if anyone knows please tell us.  But anyways I think questioning the
illlogic behind this thinking shining some light and reality to it really helps, no on ever had any trouble exercising before
they experienced panicattacks why should the have trouble now.  Any ways thanks for all this helpful info. 

14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've found running to be very helpful in overcoming the attacks. I've gotten to the point now where I try to go for a sprint at the end of the run to get my heart beating hard and fast and my breathing deep and fast, just to feel it and know that it's perfectly normal and it can handle all that stress just fine.
I also found when I was initially doing worse and was more fearful of attacks that once I got running my mind would clear quickly. I found it to be very peaceful since my body was too busy to think about anything else other than the next step -- the anxieties of life dissapeared.
My suggestion would be just to take it slow and easy, and concentrate on the running itself. Have a set route you know you're going to complete before you leave -- you could use google maps to plan it out.
Hope this helps!!
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Joey,

Have you read over Breanne's questions she has posted in the beginning of this thread? You may find them helpful when examining your thoughts when you exercise.  After looking at the questions and applying them what are your thoughts?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know exactly how you feel except I think I will stop breathing and die.
If you have trouble with motivation you might want to check out our sister site: www.healthyweightcentre.net.

It has a program that will help educate you and a support group much like this one that will help motivate you.

Give it a try!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Im planning my excercise programme now - mostly as i want to git fitter and lose a bit of weight ( any side benfit with the PA will be a huge bonus). I plan jogs round my local park and maybe light weight lifting.

To prepare myself i had a checkover with my GP who did BP/listened to heart and lungs and told me everything is ok.
Now comes the hard bit - getting motivated to get out and do it!
Thank you for that interesting read Salem.  It is true there are many ways to control or ease panic attacks and every person can deal with it in an individual way.  Some may find exercise and meditation helps, others may find CBT helps.  But I think you are definitely right that you say you have to educate yourself.  The more you know about panic the better off you are.  Have you worked on any of the program?  There is lots of information that can help you further increase your understanding of panic.  Let us know what parts you found to be helpful.  Keep up the great work!

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: