Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,097 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Caroline16, Pisces83, BazzViol, TGee, A-n-o-n

Quote of the day

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
This reminds me of Alanis Morisette's song where she asks "why does everything have to be so complicated"...in some way
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs 

Simply by thinking we are not doing enough or a good enough job. By comparing ourselves to others.

It took me twenty four hours to build a deck that would have taken someone else maybe six or eight. Two guys, maybe five since they might have got in each others way. I did pretty good all things considered and I have a deck I otherwise would not have. Some other things got put on hold. They will get done. I'm happy with what I do get done, but it was not always this way. I also had to set the deck aside one day because I had some one stop by to help take down my cow fence. Two projects done. 

My biggest thing is complicating things. Take the fence. I want to change the implement on the back of the tractor, but since I wanted to mow where the posts were I had to leave it on. (only because it is a bit of work to change it) So that changes the order of other projects making it seem harder than it is just by putting the focus on this one complication. Accepting this and doing something else is the answer but not always that easy to do. Especially if you are like me and like to finish things. I also spend too much time thinking about how I will do something when in the end I will just do it.

Davit.
Quote of the Day:
Confidence doesn't come out of nowhere. It's a result of something... hours and days and weeks and years of constant work and dedication.
- Roger Staubach

Assuming we all work hard and long and daily, how do things slip to discouragement?
Quote of the Day:
There is no failure except in no longer trying. There is no defeat except from within, no insurmountable barrier except our own inherent weakness of purpose.
- Elbert Hubbard

Never give up
I think I am afraid most of the time, and lack the confidence to move on consistently.  I don't have the self-discipline to follow-through all day.   I feel I need this site to keep myself on "track".  I know I have "good" qualities, but I'm measuring my exposure, to see what excuses I give myself to to not maintain friends.

Quote of the Day:
Confidence is courage at ease.
- Daniel Maher

In this quote, it seems I can't maintain the "ease".
hugs

I would believe in you even if you didn't just from your posts, but yes I see what you mean.

So, do you believe in yourself? At least most of the time.

Davit.
Quote of the Day:
It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believe in myself.
- Mohammad Ali

Who would believe in you if you don't?
Quote of the Day:
When defeat comes, accept it as a signal that your plans are not sound, rebuild those plans, and set sail once more toward your coveted goal.
- Napoleon Hill

Being realistic with oneself helps move on
Hugs

I wonder what the percentage of people living like that is. 50%  75%? Everyone likes to win but some take it to extremes. I think it is being able to let go that keeps it from controlling our lives to extreme. In my garden if I pull a weed then I won. If I pull lots I win big time. But it is finite and the pleasure is finite. When a person has the possibility to add on and keep the winning going to the detriment of their or someone else's health that is not right. But that is the world right. More is better. The problem with more is that the more you have, the more you have to lose and the more you have to work to keep it. People want to live comfortable but some are so scared they won't have enough money to that they work themselves and theirs to the bone. On one point Nancy is wrong. Winning can be an addiction and some people will risk all to win even the chance of going to jail. Some will risk losing their friends to win. 
Winning isn't the thing, really. Living is. Living comfortably among the ghouls that want what you have too is the problem. No one wants what I have, it is too much work. But I live comfortably and my garden supplies a big part of my needs. I will expand it so that it covers more of our needs now. I could expand it more and hope there is a market. A winner would do this but I'm not that interested in winning. When you take the fun out of what you are doing winning isn't worth it.  There is a bumper sticker, "he who dies with the most toys wins". He who dies with the most toys is still dead. Was it worth it.

Davit
Quote of the Day:
Winners take chances. Like everyone else, they fear failing, but they refuse to let fear control them.
- Nancy Simms

What if the joy of possible success controlled us

Reading this thread: