Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,771 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78

Quote of the day

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Vincenza

You might say my choice of lifestyle was a product of my anxiety. Very early in life I was given the opportunity to work pretty much on my own as long as the job got done. A year later I was foreman and hated it. But I was stuck with it. I moved out of town into a small cabin about a mile from work and travelled by boat. The silence and wildlife was the balance for the stress. A juggling act living in two different worlds. To make a long storey short I ended up owning land in this valley and working in the bush mostly being left alone even though I worked for others.
So what set off more than five years of panic attacks? Arthritis would not let me continue working in the bush. I had to take a city job with all its stress. Then I got hooked on Ativan so I could stay at it. Meanwhile I was setting up for self sufficiency and a life with little money.
Paradise did not come cheap health wise. Lucky for me when I had to go on a disability pension every thing I owned was paid for. All I had to do was get off Ativan and cure the panic attacks. With years of research and a good therapist to explain things I have done that. I'm living the life I want and I am for the most part happy with what I have. There is never enough money. But the peace and tranquility make up for it. I wish everyone could find their paradise, no matter where it is. Mosquitoes aside there is a lot that nature has to offer. And much of it is free. 

Davit
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are fortunate to be in such beautiful surroundings.  : )
Do you take in nature that you have in your back yard if you feel anxious or upset?  How does your environment affect your mood?  Vincenza, Health Educator
Hi.

It is a male Wood Duck. It is a small duck that nests in hollow trees or bird houses (big bird houses) if you put them out for them. I also have Buffleheads, another tree nesting duck. I have three boxes nailed to trees back in the swamp but don't know if they use them. I have five natural ponds and that one is right behind the house. Canada geese and Mallard ducks use all but this one to nest on. The Males spend the day on this one and morning and evening the females come to eat and gossip. You can imagine the racket. This way predators are attracted to this one rather than the ones they nest on. There are ten Canada geese in the back yard right now. Some times they move their goslings here after they hatch. 
Yes it is paradise. They come back every year and are getting quite tame.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit, 

I was just wondering the same thing as Hugs!  It's such a lovely/calming image!

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
I'll have a look at it.

Is that one of your beautiful paintings, or a photograph of God's country?
Hugs

Have you read "Attachment Theory" It states that inherited biological tendencies can be changed.

Davit.
The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind.
- William James

What's tough is fighting our biological tendencies which can differ from our "reason"
Used to, like today I have a flat on the tractor and can't get it fixed till Monday. Ho hum. I will take it off tomorrow and then find something else to do. Not worth getting excited about. 

Davit.
Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're supposed to help you discover who you are.
- Bernice Johnson Reagon

Do others get paralyzed?  Maybe it's just a "pause" and temporary, such as the freeze frame on a tv converter?
What you have to do and the way you have to do it is incredibly simple. Whether you are willing to do it, that's another matter.
- Peter F. Drucker

There's a man named Drew Dudley on youtube who talks  about leadership by describing what P Drucker is describing.  Both talk about a dry topic called leadership, but the message they both agree upon is that we are capable of great feats, if we are willing to take the steps.

The question I often fear is whether I wish to take those steps

Reading this thread: