Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Setting an exposure plan

15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whoa, my text font or something went crazy in the post below...dunno what happened...
I love everything musical as well.  Anything that fits whatever mood I'm in.  My digital music library is frikken humongoid.

I don't fully understand autism and asperger, but from the little I have been introduced to, they are extraordinarily intelligent in a few aspects...beyond what many pulitzer prize geniuses can even comprehend.  But in simple day to day activities, social interactions and such, they fall way under the bar.  I'm curious, as a parent, how do you handle your son?

I have a co-worker who has a child with autism, he takes him to a specialized center over here to better understand him.  But otherwise, only thing I know of that they do is he takes his son fishing.  It kind of reminds me of a person with anxiety, myself in particular before I started overcoming it.  Very lacking in the social field, but I could pull poems out my butt that made my friends say "wow".
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lol , well rock is our Families first love . But we listen to pretty much anyfink .

My son's memory is awful really , but like you say except things that seem to really matter . The doctors used to make us test him all the time . Like can you fetch us um socks , a book and a pillow from your room . He had forgot by the time he got to the stairs !! On a good day would bring the first thing you asked on the list .

Your son has similar characteristics to me...well in the aspergers and autism sense.  Although my taste in music is much better...just kidding!  Just kidding!!

But really though, I have big issues with memory...except in the areas I have interest in.  Feed the interest!  Or find things that are equally complicated to match his interests.  We may never find "normalcy" for ourselves, but we can find things that matter more to us then that.
Well hello there johnnyO , long time no speaky . How have you been doing ?

Hahahahahaha Joe well i fess up . I still couldnt see the great Mr TB . I didnt have my glasses with me and they were nagging and pointing so much to me i just said oh yeah  . But i did see him on one of the photos my son took lol . Interesting what you say about my son hmmmm worth a mention i think . Told you he has traits of Austimn and Aspbergers so can be very HARD work sometimes , but also very loving . He loves his music (wonder where he got that from lol) espically one of my favourite UK bands Iron Maiden . Da boy has taste  . Now get this he has problems with his memory (and motor skills think thats why he never did PE ) but you ask a question on music or movies he's mr Google .

He is also very in the paranormal (sp) , wants me to go on an all night stay at Bodmin Jail nearish us one night  . Went there in daytime and its spooky enough look it up !!
It really is a great shift in attitude.  Relief!  No more fussing in your head over the things you don't want to fuss over.
15 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks for your post.  It reminds me to be flexible in my exposure planning.  Instead of obsessing that I haven't accopmlished the one primary goal,  I can see if there are others that I can manage as a building block to success and self esteem.

In the development of hierarchy,  sometimes there is an intermediate step that can help build the confidence enough to transition to the next level.

And I find it a wonderful shift in attitude when the things that I used to fear and dread now become positive challenges for me to successfully overcome.
Thanks, Josie!  I've come this far, no point in turning back now!

Dee:  It's not that I don't feel it wasn't real exposure (and I wasn't clear on that - my bad!), I just want to do the planned exposure.  Knowing something is coming, and dealing with it from the get go, when I have time to conquer the pre-dwelling stage.  (There's a smarter, more appropriate word rather then "pre-dwelling", but it aint coming to me....)  I just want as much exposure as I can get, so the chance of being blindsided and reverting back to how I was is that much less.  I'm not worried that it will happen, but since I've found my motivation again...I want to challenge myself in as many ways possible.  All those things I never thought I could do, I now will!  It's an odd feeling of relief...and thanks!!!  I do think taking the last minute things was kinda cool.

You're lucky you got to see Tim Burton!!!  I love a lot of his movies, him and Johnny Depp!  You know, now that I know your eldest son loves TB, maybe that's why he doesn't play sports.  I'm both artistic and energetic...so I bounce around both worlds and see a world of difference in the things the people appreciate.  If you don't mind my suggesting, you can do a search for local art/artists you can visit...and none of that old school stuff in the castles, more like the new stuff....weird looking architecture, comic books, etc., etc.  Somewhere in there might be what your son needs to get out.
Joe , you say it wasnt real exposure . Boy i think it was , i am more anxious with last minute outings . ROFL accept did exatly that yesterday . They are filming some of the new Tim Burton movie down by the beach by me . I heard Johnny Depp was going to be there at 5pm (he has already filmed here twice for movies) . I was out the house faster than you could sneeze  . Quite a walk two lol , um he wasnt there but Tim Burton was  . So my eldest two boys were stoked , he's my eldest's sons hero . Me didnt even know what he looked like they had to point him out all embrassed . Oh well next time  .

So well done to you , i think its a wonderful success .
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
j,   This is great progress and success    Continue challenging those thoughts and start putting the exposure therapy in place.  It can help.  Make sure you post more of your success' and keep up the good work!

Josie, Health Educator

Reading this thread: