Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Being Held Against My Will

8 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had driving phobia for years, and my mom, to keep me from losing my job, would follow me to work. I looked at it as her going out of her way to try to help me instead of enabling me to just quit driving. You have to take baby steps to get out of your comfort zone, and it seems your dad is trying to help you do that. You will be ok, he will be right there with you, and once you see that you can do it, you will feel a great sense of accomplishment, I promise. It may just give you the boost you need to start slowly driving alone and think of how that will open your world up. I spent several years being afraid to drive even a mile away alone. After my divorce, I had no choice. I still don't enjoy driving, but I love the fact that I can and will do it.
8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't agree with how your Dad is trying to help you but you give him little choice since you are not trying to help yourself.

Davit
8 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi MeganIsBack,

I have to agree with Cardio Tech when he states you are not being held against your will. Normally "being held against your will" refers to kidnapping so I just wanted to make that point clear; your family is not holding you against your will. However, your father is telling you to do something that you do not want to do.  I can totally understand why you are feeling stressed and angry right now. Facing things that make us anxious can be incredibly hard and scary. What do you think your father hopes to accomplish by telling you to drive? What do you think his perspective is? What do you think his expectations are of you? What are your expectations of him? How do you think your anxiety has effected him and his way of life? Living with a mental illiness is incredibly hard and we hope that loved ones share compassion and support when they can. However, it is also important to note that living with a loved one who has a mental illiness is also incredibly hard - loved ones deserve compassion and understanding for their expierence as well. From past posts it sounds like your parents have tried to support you in many ways - sometimes focusing on the strengths of another person and trying to understand their perspective helps in conflict situations. I want to be clear, I am not saying your father's course of action is the right course of action - I do not know if it is. But it does sound like your father is frustrated and is trying to move forward in any way he knows how. How can you join with him to come up with solutions instead of fighting against him? It sounds like you both want the same things - you to be able to drive comfortably to work - how can you work together to achieve that?

How did the 12th go?
Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How, then, are do you think you are being held against your will?  It seems to me that your dad is trying to help you overcome your driving anxiety.  

From your other posts, you can't get/keep a job or get food because of your driving anxiety.  How are you going to manage then?  Are you going to live with your parents for the rest of your life?  Are you going to move to be closer to where the jobs are?  Are you going to continue to take food from your neighbours, while you can't pay them back?  I've borrowed a cup of flour, or a couple of eggs from neighbours, but I wouldn't be comfortable borrowing actual food from them.  

I think you need to think about the future and how you are going to cope as an adult.  I don't know how old you are, but there comes a time in everyone's life when they have to try to face their fears, learn to overcome them, or learn how to live and adapt with them.  

What are you going to do?
8 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My dad is forcing me to drive many miles behind him tomorrow on the 12th. I am under such severe stress because of this and other things.

Reading this thread: