Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

I feel like i will lose control and go mad for no reason

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
fahimulhoque

Triggers all have an association with the past as does all thought. Whether it comes from something you experienced yourself saw yourself or some one told you about it. So where does the association with going crazy come from.

People do develop dementia in old age. People get brain damage from accidents. But these don't mean you will. Even if it ran in your family it doesn't mean it will happen to you. So you have to find the associated memory and convince yourself that it is not going to happen to you.

Davit
10 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
nw im having less panic attacks bt one thing is always on my mind the fact that i may lose my mind and go mad any time.....and sometimes i feel so depressed i feel like crying and everything  i do i feel like its not normal it's being done  by a mad men ? any suggestions
10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fahimulhoque!

Welcome to the site. The homework is probably the most important part of CBT. The whole purpose of CBT is to change the way you feel (anxious) by changing your thoughts and behaviours. It takes a lot of work and insight in order to change. This is where the homework comes in. The homeowkr helps you to systematically pin point your negative thoughts and behaviours and then change them. Read the sessions and do the homework and you will likely notice a difference within a few weeks.  Hopefully this answers your question!

Ashley, Health Educator
At the bottom of every page it says "contact us"

The program is designed to teach you relaxation and coping skills. The homework is to keep track of your progress. Exposure is a marker of how well you handle triggers to panic. The whole thing put together teaches you to think positive rather than negative. Positive thought can not cause panic. Negative thought related to it can though. CBT is changing negative thought to positive by changing thought patterns. 

Davit
how do i contact the moderators? and yeah ive read a few sections of the program and at the end it says to do the homeworks regularly by completing the forms....i did bt i  still dont knw how they are going to help me ?
Hi fahimulhoque

I'm just a member with a lot of experience. CBT, cognitive behavioural therapy, is the only treatment for anxiety and panic disorders that works. It works for other disorders but here it deals with panic. This web program takes 12 or more weeks to do and gives you the skills to do CBT. It is written in order to give you the most help in curing  panic and related disorders. And it works. As members I and others give you our experience and what works for us to go with the program. Basically the information I have given you is to show you how the mind has drifted into a condition whereby you panic and that this can be reversed. We are not born this way, it is learned. It can be changed. Working with a therapist gives you one on one help in choosing coping skills and in explaining things specific to you but is not necessary. You can figure them out on your own. Since you don't have a phycologist to help you with explanations I will try as best as I can. Every thing I print here either comes from personal experience or comes from my Therapist as facts. I have no interest other than seeing no one has to go through the hell I did. 
I'm on very good terms with my Therapist, I can get answers from her. She has an even bigger fascination with how the mind works than I do.

So just start at the beginning and do the program, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The moderators will explain any questions you have about it and I will help where I can.

Davit.
thanks davit im comprehending a bit about the things u said.....also u said to go through this CBT program bt i dont have a psychologist  in my town and all the help i have is this website...so can you please decsribe to me how to use this site for my benefit ....thanks :)
Please read the post below first.

So that is just information on how the mind works. It is controlled by a number of things one of which is Core beliefs. Just more information and not necessary. The important things are these. Any thing going into memory stays. We can not erase it, we only think we can as in forgetting. We don't forget so much as bury it from lack of use but we can access it again with the right stimulation. (dejavu, [spelt wrong]) (night mares) 

CBT is the process of changing thought patterns that ultimately change negative to positive and repetition uses that positive to bury the negative in memory making it less accessible, but it has to do this by changing as many things as possible, the rest is handled with relaxation techniques and coping skills. It took you time to build this tendency to panic and it will take time to change it but CBT does work. But it has to be able to. And this is where medication is sometimes necessary. SSRIs so you think clear and anti anxieties so you have a clean slate to work with. 
I did it without either. I found the Benzo's were not allowing me to process information or even want to. SSRIs do not work for me, Mood stabilizers did and still would. Trimipramine in the smallest dose on a very limited base stops the cycling in the triangle by changing the tendency at the second corner. One of the safer drugs in terms of withdrawal. Also possibly not necessary.

As you get into the program if you do it you will see there are more and more things connected that have to be dealt with and it gets a bit overwhelming but in the end it is worth it. You will be left better than you have been in the past. You will have control of your life. And because it will be a lot of work people give up and go on the pills, but they can't get off unless they do CBT also. It just comes back otherwise because it is still in memory and not dealt with. So every time you start to panic don't fight it, that just puts the bad experience into memory. If you do panic end it with something positive such as "that wasn't so bad, I survived" You want to access this type of thought not one that is negative. End every action as positive as you can, remember they are going into memory as future reference. Tendency will fight you on this which will put you into the wrong mood and give you the wrong attitude. I did not say this would be easy. That is why my phrase, "this will be the hardest simple thing you ever do" But do it you will if you are determined enough. 

Remember to end every thought or action positive if possible but do not suppress emotions. Cry if you have to and get angry if you need to but end them on a positive note like above. All part of the process.

Does this make sense, I know it is complicated.

Davit
Hi

First a word on pills. Anti depressants and tranquilizers are not the same. They work different. Anti depressant replace or control chemicals necessary for clear thought. Tranquilizers block thoughts.

CBT makes both unnecessary unless you are one of the few that can not produce enough. That is up to a doctor.

Okay, here we go:

The mind does not work as we think, it does not just do things, it needs direction and this direction it gets from memory of past experiences. These new experiences then go into memory for future reference, all happening at the speed of light.

On paper this process is drawn as a triangle with three corners and all connected because they work together.

The first corner is where a thought or action is planned such as moving a finger. This thought moves up the triangle to the second corner where previous memory picks out the most appropriate thought from a number of past experiences. This thought moves down the triangle to the third corner where it becomes more thought or action which ever is appropriate.
But it doesn't stop there. It goes back to memory as experience and to the first corner as stimulation for the next action or thought. All very fast and with a number of these happening at the same time.
What dictates the appropriate thought at the second corner is based on a number of things. Attitude, mood but mostly tendency. So if you have a negative tendency your thoughts will be negative and that is what you will cycle back to memory till you end up with triggers that cause panic. Nothing you can do about memory, you can not erase it. But you can change it by burying it. Panic is when a negative thought goes round and round the triangle without changing. This stimulates fight or flight with all the symptoms only exaggerated because since the message is not getting back to the first corner it can't change. This is where the confusion comes in which adds to the problem since your mind doesn't have a solution to use to move on. Fight or flight has a built in safety that limits it, usually fatigue which causes it to let go. So you sit there drained after an attack. 
How CBT works is by changing thought patterns at the second corner which ultimately changes thoughts at the other two also since they are all connected. When you access memory at the second corner, if you have a negative thought you have to change it to a positive one before it gets to the third corner and ultimately to memory and the first corner for stimulation. 
That simple in theory but not so simple in practice because you need to change a lot of things to actually do this, starting with a tendency you have slowly turned negative over years, same with an attitude you have built from previous experiences, all things in memory that dictate the appropriate thought, just not the right thought.

Posting so I don't lose it.

Davit
actually i too dont like to take pills....in fact i took one recommended by my doctor called esipram and it felt very bad....i had panic attack that day frequnetly....so if u can please describe it  in details like u said :)

Reading this thread: