Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

getting panic for no reasons

10 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Rohit, nice to meet you. 
I wanted to share something that I learned from my therapist. 
I learned that anxiety is not me and I'm not anxiety. Anxiety is just an emotional reaction to something and emotions change all the time. It can be a cover up of anger, sorrow, or even something exciting. But I may never know what that something is sometimes and its ok. I used to try to figure things out. I thought that was my way to control it. But in the process of trying to make sense of everything, I'd get more anxious. Does this happen to you too? I learned that I'm allowed to be anxious for no reason and it doesn't have to make sense. I try to say "Oh well" or "So what" when I notice it. (I'm still in the practice stage for this.) But by doing this, it doesn't feed the anxiety anymore power. What helps me most is forgiving myself for feeling anxious because I tend to judge myself a lot. That way, I am accepting that yes, I realize the anxiety and then I can move on. Everyone feels anxious, even people who do not have anxiety "disorders", it's in our human body for a reason, but I just tend to give it more attention and say "OHH NOO" and let it have too much power. So I find that saying "I forgive myself for feeling anxious" helps me a lot. 
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi rohit, 

Box breathing is an excellent way to get through a panic attack or subdue anxiety.  As for breaking the panic cycle, that is more complex as Davit explained.  You may be 're-programming' your mind through all the work you're doing.  
Be mindful of eating well and getting enough exercise and sleep.  These are all the basis of good health.  Continue with the CBT work you are doing.  It sounds like you are making progress.  Though it may feel slow, you are moving in the right direction!
Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rohit

The mind hates to give up anything that has been there long enough to feel normal so it searches for ways to do this. Usually by association. It is losing the panic battle in one area so it attacks in a different one to hang on to what it feels is normal. In your case it is subconscious but for many they do it themselves by changing there treatment to suit themselves and ultimately the panic systems survival skills. It is not necessary to hang onto this skill any more but we still do, some more than others.
Some to the extent they will make up excuses for why they can't get better. The biggest and most often used excuse is "I'm different, this can't work for me". 
But keep in mind that you are learning and improving constantly. You are not exactly the person you were a short while ago. Change happens slow but it happens. The way of doing things doesn't go away, we just don't use it any more as we build and improve on it. Unfortunately we can improve on the panic too if the mind still thinks it is normal.
So this change of panic is actually a sign you are winning. Just keep doing what you are doing and it too will go away if you accept it for what it is and continue to change it by improving how you think and live.
I hope this makes sense to you.

Davit
10 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I came to know about a characteristic in my personality.Sometimes I get anxious sometimes for without any reason.Now my anxiety search for a reason.And I used to relate it with some reason as work.Now getting anxious is now become my attitude.This was present in me from my childhood.I am able to document it during my CBT.Waves of panic comes for without any reason.Leg starts shiver & heart beat increases.
One method can be box breathing to break panic cycle.
Is there any method to break this panic cycle ?
Pls share.

rohit131

Reading this thread: