Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

hi all will i ever be able to go to docs etc

10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goodmorning anerol, 

That took a lot of courage to prepare yourself for the doctor visit but you proved to yourself you can do it!  I imagine this accomplishment gave you additional determination and strength.  Thanks for sharing your experience on the forums and encouraging others who have had similar challenges with doctor visits!
Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Helen, 
nice to meet you. I'm not regularly on this site but just came back to visit and came across this thread. I read  your entry and it reminded me of myself. I have been agoraphobic for the past 5 years and hadn't gone to the doctor or dentist during that time. But guess what? I finally went to the doctor! I thought I would never be able to go ever again. So I wanted to share with you some of the tips I used, I don't know if it'll help for you but hey maybe. I was lucky to have my support person with me, so if you can have your sister or support person with  you, that would be great. My specific fear is having a panic attack in front of people and fainting (although I've never experienced this in my life, I know it's irrational, but you know). So, I wrote a letter to myself. I told myself, "I'm allowed to have a panic attack and faint in front of everyone. I can cry and crawl out if I needed to, etc. etc. Doctors should have seen it all and if they can't be sympathetic then well, too bad for them." and I folded that letter up and wrote "F it" on the back of the fold and put it in my pocket. I took my pillow with me, went in my PJs, took my water, and a lemon(aroma therapy) in my other pocket. When I got there my support person went in the room with me. I was lucky because the doctor was very sweet. I also hate crying but I let myself cry in front of her when I told her my situation. I didn't have a panic attack nor did I faint. I felt so accomplished after that and thankful to realize that some people are very nice about it, even if they may not truly understand. After that visit, I went back a few times for lab work and other check ups and it may not have been perfect but right now, I can say I can go back there. I hope my tips can give you some ideas to help you find ways to get there or some hope that I too seriously thought, I'll never get there but I did. Good luck. I'm still working on my mission to the dentist but now I'm more hopeful than ever. 
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Helen
You don't have anything to say sorry for. We all have one thing in common, we either suffer or have at one time.

This forward and backward is common. All survival skills are negative so although the road to success is through positive thought, triggers will still bring up the negatives that are really just a survival reaction. First step is to recognize them as that, second step is to accept them as that, and third step is to believe they have done their duty and can go away. These are the three bases for relief; perception, attitude and belief. At the point you are at you may only have the first one or two so you slip back into panic. The third will happen. Knowing this is normal and will go away is part of the third step and it will happen. Recognizing it is a big step too. In a while you will do this automatic and not realize you are doing it. Every time it happens try to form a positive reaction to it so you store a positive instead of the usual negative. Negatives are sad, mad, scared and I'm wasting my time. Positives are, I survived this, It will go, it always does, and I won. Things in that order.
Do you feel you are making some gain though. It is early.
Were you taking any medication for a cold or an infection at the time of your first panic attack? See those symptoms you had although they could be from anything are classic for med induced panic. The need to sit because you think you will fall is one of the symptoms. How close was having your first child to your first panic attack? That is a major life change that can trigger panic attacks. Could but not always. If there is a relationship with some stress around the time of the first child then by association there will be around the second, only stronger because of a core belief built around the belief that the stress belongs there. You can change that even if you never know what the stress was that caused the trigger.

Agoraphobia is a fear of having no control that manifests itself as a fear of open spaces or out doors because that is where you have the least amount of control. Your first panic attack is one of those situations. There were many things at the time you had no control of. Normally we pay absolutely no attention to them till something triggers there perceived importance. Then all of a sudden they all come crashing in. And we have absolutely no idea how to deal with them. The program through it's CBT association teaches you how to relax so they are less likely to happen and then how to neutralize them if they do. This brings them down to the normal panic and anxiety normal people have or because of your skills even less. Never an out of control attack like before. I find things that used to make me panic are now only interesting happenings. 

Keep posting even if you feel you have nothing to say, we want to hear from you, we want to share and we want to support.

Davit
10 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Evening davit all the info you have given me is perfect once again .I just feel like i am taking 10 steps forward then 10 steps back does that make sence?.Here is a bit about me i am 29yrs old with 2 children,my first ever panic attack was nearly 11 yrs ago now. I remember it like it was the other day ,I was out with a friend for a birthday meal and went to the toilet and when i came back out i went really warm and and my heart felt like it was going to pop,legs like jelly and felt sick i just wanted to get home which i was taken home thank god it felt like i was going to die,that was my biggest panic attack .After having my 2nd child they seem to happen more and couldnt control them the only way i knew is to say at home because then nothing bad would happen to me all i was is to get back to how i used to be 7 yrs ago able to control them and go places like doctors/dentist/shopping etc .once again thank u and sorry for the big paragraph lol x
Helen

Just start at the beginning and do one session at a time. You can read the ones you think pertain to you but you must work them in order, no skipping. It is all interconnected. The work sheets keep track of your progress. 

CBT, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is just what the words say. It is therapy to change thought patterns, it means the same only the words are more technical. In it's simplest form it is changing unwanted thoughts to wanted ones. Here they will be referred to as negative (unwanted) and positive. (wanted) More things fall under negative, sad, scary, depressing, oppressing, obsessive, compulsive and a few others, than positive, reasonable, happy, understandable, workable and others that are of like kind. For every negative thought there is a positive counter.

The program teaches you how to first relax and cope and then how to change the negative unwanted thoughts so you don't have to always be using the relaxation and coping skills. At that point you will do exposure to see how well you have learned.  Through the forums you can talk about your successes and failures and ask questions. If you read past posts you will quickly learn that there are a lot of people just like you. Me included. Although I fall into the "was" category. 

I will answer  your questions as best as I can within the limits of what the site will allow. Most of my answers will be personal experience. Some answers come from my Therapist.

First lets get you relaxed enough to see that Doctor.
hi davit thank you once again for your reply i am new to all this never thought that there was help out there,it just goes to show i am not alone after all .also i think i am getting a little confused will all these reading and worksheets lol any help would be much appreciated x 
helen

You can reply to her through contact us at the bottom of the page. Or she can contact you and you reply.

Davit.
hi all again dont no if i am replying to all of u or just one lol ,vincenza health educator ask my a few questions which i would like to reply to her is there a way i can just message her?and thank u so much for all your replys xx
hi thank you for your reply it does mean alot x take care x
hi kaitie thank you so much for your reply it means alot .i know i need to go to both asap,i think i will ask my sister to go with me to the docs .glad you have managed to do both :) i am sure i will get there too xx take care

Reading this thread: