Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

trying to find reasons for symptoms and thoughts

12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great thought justducky!

Dwelling on anything is not a good idea and you are right dwelling on the "why" can be counter productive.  For some, they may mind it theraputic to understand the "why".  In CBT there is little focus on the "why" and more on challenging like Red already mentioned.

I'm interested to hear what other members have to say.

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey JD

When dealing with the why of it all I try to use the 10 question list found in the session on challenging your anxious and negative thoughts..I already know the why, what I need help with is challenging the validity of those thoughts as they relate to the present situation I may find myself in..My past experiences in life can rule my present view of the world if I let them..The 10 questions help me to see things as they really are in the hear and now..I also have used some of the sessions in the depression center to help me to..

Red...
12 years ago 0 66 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey everyone,

I was just pondering something lying in bed...  a common theme I read in people's posts are that they have some scary thoughts and feelings, and then they try to figure out why they are having the thoughts and feelings, which leads them to be more scared and have more of these thoughts and feelings.  So maybe the time we, including me, spend dwelling on trying to figure out "why, why, why" actually has the opposite effect --> makes us more anxious, etc.

I know this is true for me sometimes.... what do others think?

JD

Reading this thread: